Saturday, May 23, 2020

Green Peas- Fennel- Lemonade (Sherbat).


"Green Peas- Fennel- Lemonade (Sherbat)” served with Cabbage ani Piyava Ambado Karbeva Chutney ghalnu (Cabbage- Onion Vadas prepared with Curry Leaves Chutney Powder)" ... today's drink is sort of an accidental discovery ... went to check out on the hassle going on outside and overcooked the green peas, so add on 3 glasses of cold water to arrest further cooking and drained it ... I neither had tomatoes nor other ingredients to prepare rasam ... Now what ?? turned it out into an awesome coolant and trust me I vouch for the taste ... again coming to Vada preparation too, same issue, as I cant store ingredients, I just don’t have them, when I need them, so prepared this out using karbeva chutney ground with coconut and they are truly delicious ... almost all are over ... Yummilicious .... 

** The thought of chucking out food when things go wrong never crosses my mind, I almost never despair, but sit cool in a place and think what best can be done out of it. Whether it can be repaired, restored, cooked further or should I turn it out into another dish. It is in the rarest of rare case that I need to dispose the same like if the food is burnt or turned not fit for consuming. Again, I almost never used dried green peas/ vatana and hardly stock it up at home. In my whole cooking experience of 31 yrs I might have used it 4-5 times that’s it. Most of the time its either fresh peas or frozen peas, that is why I goofed up while cooking dried green peas in the first place today. I miscalculated the cooking time of the peas and pressure cooked it to a few more whistles than necessary by fault as there was some hazel going on outside and I was peeping out of my kitchen to check out the same. 

** In the process to my dismay, when I opened the lid of the pressure cooker the peas were slightly overcooked. Luckily, I had opened it in time, so I immediately added in 3-4 glasses of cold water to the over cooked peas mixed well and drained off the water immediately which enabled in arresting further cooking of  the dried peas, do remember this trick always, it works very well. It was a sigh of relief to see that the peas were ok and could be cooked in preparation of Ambat, which I had already gone ahead with. I now had about 6 glasses of cooked drained green peas water which I did not want to discard. First, I though of preparing rasam or saar, but I did not have tomatoes and was in no mood to again prepare another dish, that too saar as it always runs over for 2 days and I would have to keep re heating it every 6 hours as the fridge was run down. I was on my way to prepare lemonade for mid break, when the though crossed my mind of preparing it with this water. 


** Well, I strongly felt that adding just sugar and lemon to the cooked peas water, would not bring on taste to the drink where as spicing it up would definitely do so. I avoided adding sugar and went on to add jaggery/ goda and a few dates for sweetness and lemon for tartness. I added kala namak as it always gives a zing to drinks which we in my home love and also added on ground fennel to it for taste. I added on some black pepper powder to it just before serving to give it extra spice and trust me here was one of the best concoction drink of mine which I think I will prepare often by cooking peas beyond perfection only to get this particular water. Unfortunately as my fridge was not working I could not add on ice cubes, but again as it is working on 50% cooling basis, we savored few glasses and I put the rest in freezer section to get a not chilled but cold beverage the next day. 

** Here is my simple concoction of recipe for "Green Peas- Fennel- Lemonade (Sherbat)” … My Style …. 

** I had about 6 glasses of cooked dried green peas/ vatana drained water which I have used here in preparing this delicious Lemonade (Sherbat). 

** In a mixer grinder add in about 50- 75 gms of grated jaggery/ goda along with 8-10 seedless dates/ Khajoor and one tablespoon of fennel (badisep/ saunf) seeds. Grind this to a very smooth paste adding little by little the cooked green peas water, till you get a nicely ground paste. 

** Remove and add the ground paste to the rest of the cooked green peas water. Add salt to taste (I used kala namak), a teaspoon of black pepper (miri) powder and 1-2 freshly squeezed juice of lemons/ nimboo. Mix well and keep it in the fridge to get chilled for a few hours. 


** "Green Peas- Fennel- Lemonade (Sherbat)” is done and ready to be served. Strain the chilled lemonade through a fine stainless steel sieve, just before serving to avoid the small ground particles which may otherwise remain in the juice. Serve them chilled in tall glasses or you can top them up with some ice cubes too and serve the same with some delicious snack for accompaniment. 

** I served them with a few “Cabbage ani Piyava Ambado Karbeva Chutney ghalnu (Cabbage- Onion Vadas prepared with Curry Leaves Chutney Powder)” another delicious snack preparation of my own which I had prepared to be served as side dish for lunch and they both complimented each other very well. Simply heavenly taste for sure, a must to be tried out in your home. Sharing the link to ambado below, do check it out and try them. 

** For “Cabbage ani Piyava Ambado- Karbeva Chutney ghalnu (Cabbage and Onion Vadas/ Fries prepared with Curry Leaves Chutney Powder)” Recipe, Please follow the link given below and also do try out the aromatic fritters, they taste wonderful and go well both if served as a snack or as a side dish with ketchup along with some coolants 

** The are many more “Beverages” Recipes in my Blog, do go through the common link shared below and try out that which you would like to relish with your family and friends 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 27 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.