Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Spicy Ajwain (Sambarballi)- Putani (Roasted Gram) Coconut- Chutney.


"Spicy Ajwain (Sambarballi)- Putani (Roasted Gram) Coconut- Chutney” … I am thankful to that small ajwain plant I planted on my window grill years ago, which gives me a few leaves almost on weekly basis though I have no sunlight facility … As getting veggies has become difficult and with my fridge giving away I cannot store coriander leaves, curry leaves etc. etc. etc. and have to forgo them for time being … but trust my dear Vonvo plant to come to my rescue making my dishes more palatable … Here is a delicious aromatic chutney that can be served with cutlets, roti, poori, dosa, samosa etc. prepared using these aromatic leaves … Yummilicious ….. 

** This is a simple chutney I prepared for the first time exclusive with ajwain leaves as usually I just add on a few leaves along with coriander leaves to chutney etc. The present situation in our country of lock down has been made more strict and it is difficult to get veggies. Moreover to my dismay my fridge has also given away and the mechanic says it cant be repaired as it is too old and parts are not available, so I need to wait till the shops open and the sales begin, to buy a new one and till then I have to manage with my own mix and matches as I cannot store them without fridge and also it is summer which means the vegetables will wither more than ever. So to relish with cutlets I prepared this chutney along with coconut, roasted gram and decided to add on ajwain leaves by increasing them step by step, as I was hesitant to add them in one go. So, I added a few, tasted it and then added a few and ground the same, tasted it and then when I was convinced it would taste great I added on some more and did the final grinding. So in all a healthy delicious chutney that goes very well as side dish with dosa, idly, cutlets, vadas, chapati, poori, etc. 

** Here is my simple recipe for “Spicy Ajwain (Sambarballi)- Putani (Roasted Gram) Coconut- Chutney” … My Style … 



** Note : Ajwain leaves are also known in other languages as Sambar Balli is also known as Sambapalli/ Doddapatre/ Karpooravalli/ Oregano/ Indian Borage/ Ova/ Vonvo/ Oam. You can check out the same in the link provided at the bottom of this recipe. 

** For the preparation of Chutney : In a mixer grinder add in one cup of freshly grated coconut (soyi/ nariyal), 10-12 fresh ajwain/ sambarpalli leaves, 2-3 tablspoons of roasted gram (putani), 5-6 green chillies (hirvi mirchi/ tarni mirsanga) (+/- depending on individual), ½ inch piece of ginger (adrak/ alle’), 5-6 garlic (losun/ lehsun), one small marble sized tamarind (chinchama/ Imly), 4-5 curry leaves (kadipatta/ karbevu) (Optional), 1 tsp Kala Namk (you can add ordinary ones too) and grind to a very smooth paste with ½ cup of water. Remove into a stainless steel bowl and add water and mix if necessary. 

** For Seasoning/ Tempering : Heat 1 tblsp of coconut oil (optional, any oil will do), when hot add in ½ tsp of urad dal (black gram dal), when it changes color slightly, add in ½ tsp jeera (cumin seeds), ½ tsp of mustard seeds (rai/sasam), a few curry leaves (kadipatta/ karbevu) and fry for a minute and then pour it over the chutney. 

** “Spicy Ajwain (Sambarballi)- Putani (Roasted Gram) Coconut- Chutney” is done and ready to be served. You can serve this with any dish of your choice like dosa, idly, cutlets, roti, chapati, poori etc. You can also store this in freezer and use when necessary as it stays good for a few days. Just see to it that once you thaw it to room temperature then you do not put it back in freezer as it looses taste. Enjoy this healthy delicious chutney with your family and friends.

** Important Note : The leaves I added where freshly picked and too small in size, also they were very aromatic. But in my home we are used to strong flavors of pudina etc. so I have added around 10 leaves, however the quantity actually depends upon the size of the leaves and the aromatic essence as each plant differs slightly from the others, so use your judgement in addition of the leaves, you may follow the method I did, I added a few, check the taste and then kept continuing, that way you will end up with the right consistency of flavor you like. 

"Sambar Balli is also known as Sambapalli/ Doddapatre/ Ajwain Leaf/ Karpooravalli/ Oregano/ Indian Borage/ Ova/ Vonvo/ Oam etc." to the best of my knowledge in different languages across the country in different regions … many of my friends here wanted clarfication when I had posted saaru using this aromatic leaf, as I had written "vonve pallo" which must have lead to the confusion ... so thought of making a post on it for health benefit of all ... This is an aromatic leaf with immense health benefits and is definitely advice able to be included into our dishes in some form, be it in chutney, tambuli, saaru etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.