Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Kuve Peeta (Arrowroot)- Milk Powder Chocolate~ A Hot Beverage.


“Kuve Peeta (Arrowroot)- Milk Powder Chocolate~ A Hot Beverage” served with Bhakarwadi with Chutney Powder for mid morning break … adjustment is something one has to learn to adapt to in life, more so now, when the whole world is going through crisis … well, I have learned to use milk powder in case of emergencies and it has now become my reliable friend ... I have some stock of kuve peeta referred to as arrowroot by some though it is not the same and since it cools body heat from within, I tried out my own concoction of chocolate drink and enjoyed sipping it steaming hot with a few Bhakarwadies along to munch on … Yummilicious …. 

** “Kuve Pitta” is a Konkani word used for a starchy type powder obtained from root of veggie that of which I am not sure what the name in English is. In the picture you can see the powder kept beside the coolant along with saffron. This powder is supposed to be a coolant for body heat and is prepared into duddali, a soft texture burfi sort of dish and a few other dishes too, by Konkani Saraswat’s and South Indians. I have posted a few flavored duddali posts before for which I will share the link below and you can browse through for more info. Again, I want to clarify here that it is not arrowroot powder that is easily available in the market, and many do refer to it as the same as they is a very close resemblance in components. Coming to this drink my grandmother used to drink it as it is mixed in plain water with sugar, as she had acidity problems and this drink is excellent in such case as it gives cooling effect in body cutting down acidity. 

** I have often prepared dishes using this giving my own twists and prepared them in different combinations be it as duddali/ a sort of soft pudding or a coolant drink. However this is the first time I am trying out a hot beverage using the same and trust me it was wonderful in taste. There is not cooking as such in this recipe, though you do need hot boiling water for preparation. Again, as I am unable to store fresh milk due to a faulty refrigerator, I have used milk powder in its place and again I must say I am really getting used to the powder form and getting excellent results in my dishes too. Well, to make it flavorful I added on chocolate topping syrup which I had at home as I needed to finish that off too, courtesy again fridge failure. I was really wondering what to do with it and now I am sorted out for a few days with this excellent and tasty beverage. Do try this one out if Kuve pitta is available in your vicinity till I come up with something more for all of you. 


** Here is my simple method of preparing “Kuve Peeta (Arrowroot)- Milk Powder Chocolate~ A Hot Beverage” … My Style .. 

** Add 2 heaped tablespoon of Kuve Pitta (Check Pic. above for ref.) to 5-6 glasses of clean water, mix well and keep it covered aside for 2 hours untouched. This step is must; and should be carried out always in case of preparation of Kuve Pitta. 

** The Kuve pitta will have thickened and settled at the bottom, while clear water is left on top in two hours of time. Tilt the vessel and slowly drain off all the clear water on top. With the help of a spoon mix the settled kuve pitta evenly. 

** If using Milk powder add in 2 heaped tablespoon of milk powder to 2 cups of boiling water and mix well. There should be no lumps in the prepared milk or you can just use steaming hot 2 cups of fresh milk too. The taste will not differ with either. 

** Now add this prepared hot powder milk or fresh milk to the kuve pitta and mix well till evenly mixed. Add in 2-3 tablespoon of Chocolate Syrup and further mix it well till done. You can use chocolate powder too in place of syrup, but then you will have to add sugar for taste. 


** “Kuve Peeta (Arrowroot)- Milk Powder Chocolate~ A Hot Beverage” is done and ready to be served. Serve this steaming hot immediately once it has been mixed to avoid it settling at the bottom. We relished it with Bhakarwadi a spiral shaped snack which I prepared with my mixture of Chutney Powder and it was simply a wonderful combo for mid morning break. 

** If Kuve Peeta is available to you in your vicinity, please do try out this hot beverage and enjoy with your family and friends. You can make children drink this as kuve peeta is very good for health and avoid acidity problems. Also as chocolate flavor is added on children are sure to love the flavorful hot beverage and will relish the same without a murmur. 

** Note : If you see any dirt particles in "Kuve Peeta" or small specks etc. check out the same properly and if not able to clean once you mix it with water well, strain it through a cotton/ muslin cloth and then cover it and leave it aside to settle, this method will give solve your problem. 

** Do keep a watch on my Blog or you can subscribe the same for more recipes which I will be including as and when I try out. Do give me a feed back as it will help me in updating myself and if you have any query please send in a mail or you can post a comment to and I will get back as soon as possible. 

** Sharing the link below to the recipe of “Bhakarwadi with Chutney Powder” my own concoction of snack using our own curry leaves-spices chutney powder …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.