Saturday, January 23, 2021

Purple Yam (Kand)~ Onion Dry Kismuri.


"Purple Yam (Kand)~ Onion Dry Kismuri" ... here is a delicious salad type side dish known as kismuri in Konkani Saraswat Cuisine ... I prepared it today with fried root tuber, purple yam/ kand or I think also known as con which is available all round the year and is similar to suran ... Yummilicious ... 

** Kismuri is a delicious salad sort of dish that we love to have in my home. The crunchy taste of addition of deep fried or microwaved veggies is delight to munch on too. As I mentioned plenty of times before in my posts we have so many traditional GSB/ Konkani Saraswat dishes that the list is never ending. In my journey of blogging for 6 years now there are so many dishes that have not yet been added and those that have been done so have been not repeated again in my home, not becoz. We do not love them in fact I miss so many of my favorite dishes, but I want to try to include as many dishes as possible into the blog even if it means the same dishes but in different combos. This is so becoz. Of the recent demand I seem to be getting by followers. Well, that is the very reason you may come across similar looking dishes in pictures but they are not, the recipe remains same but the ingredient/ veggies vary. 

** Well, kismuri are prepared both in Veg and non. Veg methods also with addition of ground masala or just dry sort of salad mixture like. I will not repeat much here as you can browse through the links shared at the bottom of this recipe, which will definitely give you the right picture spelled as to what I am trying to explain, so please do browse through them in leisure. The recipe as I mentioned remains the same for this kismuri too ie without masala and salad sort of dish where in the deep fried purple yam pieces are added on to finely chopped onions and freshly grated coconut along with some green chillies. There are many more mix and match types of kismuri both with and without masala in my Blog and will be adding more as and when I prepare, so do keep a trace of my blog and plz. do give me a feedback as it not only motivates me to do more but also builds up stronger relationship giving me fair idea of requirements. 

** Here is my simple recipe for "Purple Yam (Kand)~ Onion Dry Kismuri" … my style … 


** Slice off the muddy portion of purple yam/ kand/ con and cut them into small ½ inch sized cubes. Rinse well under running water so that the stickiness it has is lessened. Place it on a napkin or absorbent tissue and press well so that there is no trace of water. 

** Put it in a bowl, add salt to taste, mix well and leave aside for 10-15 minutes. Heat oil for deep frying in a kadai, when smoking hot lower heat to medium and wait for few minutes, then add in the yam cubes and fry on medium heat till evenly browned. 

** The frying will take some time, once done remove, and put it on an absorbent paper for the excess oil to be drained off. You can fry the yam pieces in batches too depending upon the quantity of the yam pieces you will need for your family, I fried about 1 cup of the same. 

** Finely chop 1-2 medium sized onion and add it into a bowl, add on 2-3 tblsp freshly grated coconut along with 3-4 finely chopped green chillies and salt to taste. Mix well and then add in the fried purple yam pieces, toss well and serve immediately. 

** "Purple Yam (Kand)~ Onion Dry Kismuri" is done and ready to be served. Best served with either dal- chawal or pejja (rice porridge). In all a delicious salad type of dish that is loved amongst GSB’s worldwide. Do try it out and enjoy your lunch/dinner with family and friends. 

** Note : The mixing of onion, coconut and fried yam pieces should be done just before serving to retain the crunch or else the fried pieces will turn limp and lose on taste. But to avoid last minute issue, just prepare everything and keep them in separate vessel and add them all together when ready to serve, that is what I do. 

** The link below is a common one to all the “Kismuri” dishes posted in the blog before both as salad type and with masala, you may try out those that your family would love to relish ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.