Sunday, January 31, 2021

Dried Dates Curds/ Kharik Dahi~ topped with Walnut (Akhrot) pieces.


“Dried Dates Curds/ Kharik Dahi~ topped with Walnut (Akhrot) pieces” … Cooking is all about going one step ahead from your comfort zone and trying out dishes that may or may not turn out great ... but when it gives you amazing and perfect results the joy is beyond explanation … setting flavored or fruit curds is something I love experimenting with and this one turned out simple scrumptious … here is a simple- healthy- tasty curd that set so well and was a joy to relish bite by bite with a sweet slight crunch taste of dates and walnuts … Yummilicious …

** Setting curds with fruit bases etc. has always been fun and I started experimenting with it from about 2 decades back when my Mom who had been to Australia came back and mentioned about curds with addition of fruits available in stores there. I was intriguied on hearing it as curds are my favorite and during my college days it was my breakfast before leaving which kept my hunger at bay till noon. I was a very fusy eater of breakfast and always skipped it and my mom was worried as I went away without eating anything.

** As I loved curds she set me one glass full of thick curds which I ate sometimes as it is or at times with a little bit of sugar. Ahhaaa, it was simply Bliss and happy days and my weight during that period was the least within the border, sigh it was after my college days that I learned to eat curries etc. and then came about having weight issues. Well coming to curds, hearing from Mom of these tasty curds which she relished to her heart’s content during her period of stay there, I all but wanted to know more, see them and taste it too.

** I tried a few reading about it here and there and relished the same, but once I had been to a store were they kept international brands of food and I saw this strawberry flavored curds packs of plastic in a set of four. They costed a bomb as per my capacity, but the desire to know it got the better of me and I purchased it and came home happily. Personally I liked it but felt something missing. They had set the curds with just a pieces of fruits and that’s it, the flavor was not fully captured. That is when I decided to turn out my own flavored curds.

** I started with fruits, then went on to veggies too, but unfortunately those days we just referred to books or Chefs on TV and relished the same. We just jotted them down on old diaries which as I mentioned before too are around 7 in numbers besides having about over 500 books most of which I have now dispossed as I am unable to cope up with cleaning of the home due to health issues. Well, I am decluttering everything and sticking to network only, though I have preserved a few of them and my own written ones.

** Coming back to curds one thing led to another and I have prepared so many of them, posted some, but many of them dated way back before fb and food groups happened, some have been written while many are not and a few I have even forgotten, blame it on advancing age. These days due to winter chills, my back gives me trouble while sleeping and that is when my mind starts churning on thoughts and giving me ideas. Most of my dishes are the result of these activities that happen in my mind and I am thankful for that.

** I always keep a book and pen nearby to jot down immediately as I do not want to forget it on waking up, which is what happens most of the times. I will also browse through the books and try to remember the others, prepare them and share too. This time I tried addition of Kharik powder in place of sugar as that has caught my fancy now. I love experimenting adding it on to dishes and I have jotted down quite a few which I intent to try out once time and my health permits. So do keep checking out my blog for delicious healthy dishes.

** I buy only cow’s skimmed milk in my home, so I have used the same with addition of some skimmed milk powder to bring about thickness to milk and to avoid water getting loosened from the curds which is not at all appealing in case of flavored curds. I added on ground kharik powder which is available in stores though the same can be prepared at home too. I have not added in any sugar to the curds and the result was sweet curds as dried tastes are very sweet by nature. I just topped them with walnut pieces for added crunch while serving.

** Here is my very own method of preparing “Dried Dates Curds/ Kharik Dahi~ topped with Walnut (Akhrot) pieces” that is not only simple but healthier too …

** I have used store bough kharik/ dried dates powder here, you can prepare the same in your mixer grinder too. The powder I purchased was in powder form along with some coarser textured pieces too, I did not further grind it to fine powder, you may do so if need be. It is entirely upto you, as some do not like grainy textured curds.

** Mix in 1 tblsp of skimmed milk powder, along with 1 tblsp of kharik powder to one large cup of warm milk till well blended. You can increase the same proportionately depending upon your requirement of curds as per the number of people to be served. I got two small sized servings out of the mentioned quantity. See to it that the powders have well mixed it.

** Now add in ¼ tsp of set curds to the prepared milk mixture, mix well and then with a ringed beater churn well for a minute. This aerates the milk and blends well to give you lovely set up thick curds. This step is important so please do not skip it. Again, if the quantity of curds to be set is more slightly increase the addition of curds but do not double it.

** Keep in mind that the mixture while preparing should be warm enough but not hot or it will curdle. Just lukewarm temperature works wonders in setting curds. Keep it covered aside in warm place to set till done say about maximum 6 hours. During winter, you can keep it in a pre-heated oven or insulated box like I do. I have a stainless steel hot pot used for cooking of red boiled rice which I use for setting curds. It does so beautifully within 3-4 hours.

** Once the curds has set, remove and put it in the fridge immediately for about 2-3 hours for further setting well. This does really help too, remove just before serving and add into individual bowls, top it with a few small pieces of walnuts (optional) and serve immediately. This is a very healthy concoction of curds and in my experience good to have on days of fasting etc. as it will give in the nutrients and energy to pull through the day.

** “Dried Dates Curds/ Kharik Dahi~ topped with Walnut (Akhrot) pieces” is done and ready to be served. Keeps well for over two days in fridge so you can plan it ahead too. Just serve it as it is or topped with any nuts of your choice. Definitely a simple- healthy- tasty curd that set so well and is a joy to relish bite by bite with a sweet slight crunch taste of dates and walnuts. It helps in skipping of addition of sugar to curds and makes it that much healthier.

** You can serve this topped with any dried fruits of your choice too or serve each individual to their liking too. Raisins topped tastes lovely too, I have add those, they give in sweet tinge and are very good for health as they are loaded with iron. Walnuts are crunchy and good for brains and bones and when added along with curds which are good source of calcium it makes it that much more healthier option to be consumed, and so are dried dates which are excellent in case of urinary track issues and for anemic issues too. 

** There are plenty of flavored curds, lassi, buttermilk variations and also milk shakes in the blog, and I assure you plenty of them will be added on soon too with healthy concoctions, so stay in tuned and do browse through the search/ label option for those already added on. Try them in your home and do give me a feedback, it motivates me to do more. Thank you.

** Note : I am not a nutritionist and do not have knowledge on combination of foods. I just go by my instincts/taste and at times I may be wrong in the concoctions I do. However, I strongly feel that in our Indian meals, there are so many combinations made while cooking that individually they may be healthy but on mixing they may not, so if you find it so please do not go ahead with them or your may consult too, as for me I have had no issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.