Friday, March 26, 2021

One Batter~ Three Avtaars/ Varities of preparations.


“One Batter~ Three Avtaars/ Varities of preparations” … here are three different dishes prepared out of the same Green Gram Dal and Boiled Rice batter … I prepared Idly on 1st day, Dosa on 2nd day and Tomato- Onion Omelette on 3 rd day … all tasted equally delicious … Yummilicious …

** With life becoming difficult to deal with day by day, I felt I should cut down my kitchen work as I am in process of clearing unwanted equipment, utensils etc. Covid has finally pushed me to do what I have been thinking of doing for a decade now when for the first time I faced back pain issues. I am sure all of you agree with me when I say disposing things that we accumulated over decades with love become very difficult and also there is so much to do that you do not know where to begin. 12 yrs have passed by, with the decision only on thoughts and yet to be achieved. De-cluttering is something I want to write on as another topic of subject to be read by those interested only, so here I am sticking to this 3 in one method of preparing breakfast dish using a single batter only without deviating the topic.

** Using same batter for different preparations is something I am sure every wise person who cooks does. Come to think of it, not only batter even cooked dishes can be prepared to other varieties giving them some face lifts to make them appealing for all. For a Konkani Saraswat/ GSB at heart, breakfast items prepared with urad or any other lentils/ rice plays an important role in my kitchen. We have grown up relishing some of the traditional best dishes that has become habituated within us and we crave for it to begin the day with. But with today's fast paced lifestyle, with nuclear families batter is a major issue for all. You either do not find the time to prepare it or you remain with excess that you do not want to use again. The dilemma of batter continues in different ways to each one of us, but the desire is there too.

** Idly, Dosa is a healthy choice to begin the day with, as breakfast literally means breaking  fast, eating something after a gap of almost 8-10 hours and it definitely needs to be nutritious to charge us for the day. I have often come across Idly batter sold in stores which they say can be prepared into idly, uttappa, dosa, anything. Well, that is definitely not to my liking, as we south Indians usually keep the rice ground slightly coarser for Idlies, ramdan, doddak and for dosa the rice is ground in smoother texture. The fluffy thick coarse texture to Idly comes from coarser ground rice otherwise you find it like a smooth ball, which liked by some who follow that method and not so by others. Some also add in cooking soda for spongy effect, which is not needed at all if fermented well and coarse ground rice is added on.

** I do not mean to say that method is wrong, in fact when it comes to cooking everything is fair as long as it suits your lifestyle, your taste and that of your families, and that is exactly the way it should be. This is how we like it in my home and the way my Mother cooked and I have followed her, that’s all. Having said that there is a need for change and I decided to try out the smoother version after a good 3 decades as that was the first time I did then and then never attempted the same ever. Necessity is the mother of invention, I have often prepared, Idly, seasoned doddaka, ramdan with the same batter successfully as the texture required is same for all, but this time I went in for smoother texture and prepared with my own variations and got 3 dishes in one batter which means I saved on two days of hard work.

** What I am trying to explain here is this post is not about the recipe, though I am sharing the link to all three prepared using same batter below,  you can browse through, prepare and enjoy them with your family and friends. Here I am trying to tell all to be innovative while cooking and try to chalk out dishes in such a way with prior preparation so that they can be prepared into different dishes saving you time for yourself, your family and above all cutting down on your heavy workload. We need to save our energy through life and it is best to plan things in such a way that there is always food ready on table to serve anybody who comes home hungry but at the same time it has to be within body limits. This pattern will bring joy to all, so go for it, try out different variations of your own too or follow this pattern.

** I have posted all the three dishes as separate posts but they are all prepared with the same batter and the batter recipe is included in the Idly post, you may browse through it and prepare all these there dishes for three days which is not only tasty, but will be loved and relished by all. Also you will get a break and time to spare for your other pending activities.  If you prepare this on weekend you will get to lay back and enjoy those days in carefree with your family … I call them the three avatar of one single batter jokingly and we enjoyed each one of it with equal zeal … Stay Blessed, Stay Healthy and Spread Happiness.

** For preparation of "Idly", Check out the link given below ...

** For preparation of "Dosa", Check out the link given below ...

** For preparation of "Tomato- Onion Omelette", Check out the link given below ...

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 31.5 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.