Thursday, March 25, 2021

Mixed Masala Chai/ Tea.



"Mixed Masala Chai/ Tea" ... A strong tea keeps me going through the day ... Have you ever thought why each tea differs from the other ??? well, it depends upon the hands that blends them with love, that knows it all ... Yummilicious ...

** Steaming Hot Coffee/ Tea are beverages that most people round the world depend upon to wake them up to a glorious day. Though I was neither a tea/ coffee person for earlier 4 decades of my lifetime, it was just about 15 yrs back that I got stuck to ginger tea, just one cup for the day in the morning and it has somehow now become an addiction. I had a throat infection that would just not go away, which is totally another story which I have written about elsewhere, so will not repeat it again here.

** It was during that phase that I went on a hot beverage spree trying out various options to soothes my throat. I did give a first try to all time favorite of all coffee, as in my family everybody vouches by my decoction/ filter coffee though I myself never drink it. Nevertheless, I thought I would give it another hundredth try, but sadly it was total failure, I never liked coffee from childhood, and continued to do so and I just don’t know why. Well, the next options were Kashayam, Soups and a few more hot beverages.

** Well, they all suited me but then something was amiss, I never felt pepped up, you know what I mean these drinks in the early morning did not really rejuvenate me, also it was too tedious in the morning to go about preparing them. Finally, my friend suggested Tea and I thought of giving it a try too, after all I had nothing to lose. Initially I was sort of just OK with it, the plus point was I could drink, but then I found it sweet, so I left out addition of sugar and it made me livelier in a few weeks, that was when I thought of experimenting on it.

** I added on freshly crushed ginger and that did the trick, it was sort of a life saver and slowly I began looking forward to my steaming hot strong ginger tea. And then the throat got healed though I have really no idea if it was the tea that did the trick or the ginger and now I am addicted to my one cup of kadak adraki chai in the morning. No, I do not drink it at any other given time of the day at all, it is just a morning routine and I am all charged for the day. I have not formed the habit of drinking more than that.

** We, all do have our own preferences when it comes to beverages and mine has always been fruit juices from childhood and that’s another thing I addicted to at mid morning, though not as much as my now favorite chai. Do indulge in something that is healthy and peps you up, at times we do need to pamper ourselves too. In addition, at times do add in some extra spices to zing in more flavors to your drink, just like how in our life we like to receive some extra attention when feeling low, it does pep up and you are bang on with full energy .

** I have always wondered why each tea differs from the other ??? for that matter any food. The same food cooked by different individuals following the same recipe at times tastes different, Isn’t it?? Try and check, it out for yourself, you can never cook like your mother, sisters, neighbors or for that matter even the chef who shows how to cook on live. The taste differs even if it be by a fraction. Well, at least I find it so, and I think it all depends upon the hands that blends them with love, that knows it all about precise mixing.

** There is nothing much of recipe as such to this Mixed Masala Chai, as I have not prepared it using any powdered masala, I just pounded a little bit of them together in a stone crusher and added them to my chai, the end result of which was fantastic. Here off course I have added sugar as when you make spiced masala chai, it needs that dash of sweetness added on to prevent the tongue getting a bitter taste of garam masalas. You can make in your own variations which I too will be making and posting often, so do check out my blog for more.

** Here is to my Method of preparing "Mixed Masala Chai/ Tea" …. My Style.

** Add on 2 cups of clean water with 2 cups of skimmed milk, into thick bottomed stainless steel vessel. My ratio of chai/ tea is always 1:1, you can make your own variation. If using full fat milk do increase the ratio of water. I use skimmed cow’s milk, which is almost zero in fat, hence I add on in 1:1 ratio.

** Note : All types of milk sometimes do not give desired effect or get curdled when tea leaves are added to them on boiling point. Therefore, that is one more additional point that you have got to keep in mind. The milk has to be fresh and boiled before adding on the tea leaves to be assured against curdling. In addition, always use stainless steel vessel as they are user/ environment friendly and safer without parting anything unhealthy to cooked food.

** Bring the water+ milk to a boiling point on medium to high heat. Once it reach almost the boiling point, lower the heat and add in 4 tblsp of tea powder/ dried leaves/ chai ki patti and then increase the heat once again to medium and bring to a boil, stirring in between. Now lower the heat to simmering point and simmer for a about 3 minutes. Do not leave the brewing tea/ chai unattended, you may need to stir it a few times if need be.

** Note : Again addition of the amount of dried tea leaves is individual choice and the brand of the tea leaves. There are many types of dried tea leaves available in the market and each have their own aroma and strong flavor. It is for you to decide which brand suits to your liking. Also how strong you want the tea is also individual preference. The more you simmer the stronger the chai, but not so every time, it may turn bitter if you overdo it. So use your judgment and play safe initially, overtime you will be more accustomed with the preparation.

** Once the chai/ tea has simmered/ brewed well add in coarsely crushed fresh ginger say about an inch and mix well, let it continue to simmer. Meanwhile in a small stoneware spice pounder add in 1-2 green cardamom, a small piece of cinnamon, say ½ inch, and a small cut piece of star anise. Now pound this to a coarse powder well.

** Note : You can use a mixer grinder for coarsely powdering the spices, if you are using in bulk, but I always pound them fresh, just a little bit and add in, that way you get a stronger and aromatic flavored tea. You can choose any method convenient to you.

** Add the pound spice to the simmer ginger tea and mix well, raise the heat and let simmer for just a minute. The tea turns into a awesome dark color and the aroma fills the room in fact it even leaves the home and travels to neighbors home. Now the tea is actually ready, but just wait a little bit before you serve. Remove it immediately from heat, cover with a tight lid and let rest for 2 minutes. We need to do so for the flavors to seep into chai.

** Note : Do not boil the tea much after adding in the pound spices or else the tea may turn out bitter, also the milk may get curdled, so be careful and keep a watch on the brewing tea, with practice all these small points become habituated with us and then there is no axiety.

** Sieve the tea/ chai into individual cup / glasses through a fine sieve. Add on sugar to the cup of tea / chai as per individual choice / preference. Sugar should always be added slightly lesser in quantity if it is added prior to the tea ie when tea is prepared in bulk, so that those who want it sweeter can always help themselves to some more and the others need not wrinkle their nose in distaste. Also sometimes some people prefer to have sugar at time and at times not too.

** You can also serve sugar as per individual liking into the individual glasses if need be. There are sometimes diabetics who do not take sugar in coffee / tea, then there are also some odd people like me who love their tea without sugar, I know it’s funny, but I really do not like sugar in my cuppa of tea. In fact, I have come across many people who refrain from addition of sugar to tea or coffee for health reasons. If they can sip it or if I can relish it so can you. Try it, cutting down of both sugar and salt is good for health.

** "Mixed Masala Chai/ Tea" is done and ready to be served. Always serve Chai/ Tea steaming hot by adding on sugar on individual choice along with breakfast or evening snacks / tiffin. You can also enjoy this tea in between at mid morning or any other time you want a break. Some also have the habit of having Tea/ Chai after heavy lunch in a gap of say an hour or so, but this mixed masal chai/ tea I would recommend to be had with some lighter snack either in the morning or in the evening.

** Please read this Important Note : As mentioned above some quality of milk are not suitable to be prepared into tea in the manner in which I have prepared and chances are it may get curdled. The other way to prepare the same tea is using water and following the same method and once the tea has been brewed well, strain it and then add on some hot milk as desired, mix well and serve along with required amount of sugar. 

** Please do go through my Article on “Kadak Adraki Chai/ Strong Ginger Tea” Where you will find in details of step by step pictures by clicking on the link given below ….

** You can also go through my Article on Coffee Preparation shared in blog before, Please go through the link given below …

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.