Thursday, March 4, 2021

"Rulav Panna/ Upma/ Uppittu" comes to rescue".


"Rulav Panna/ Upma/ Uppittu" comes to rescue" ..... "Rulav Panna/ Upma/ Uppittu/ Seasoned Semolina loaded with Veggies” … Don’t I look Beautiful said Rava Upma to which the veggies replied … Oh! That’s becoz, we are the jewels you are adorned with … true, said Rava, you give me a face lift, make me healthier but I am the one who is always relied upon when in crisis and I gladly help out without any reservations even when I am looked down upon as plain other times coz. I know I will always be one the healthiest ingredient for generations to come … Yummilicious …

** Memories of having upma through years came rushing on as I sat with my plate half-full of upma for breakfast today. The love and hate saaga of this humble dish in my home, in your home has come a long way over decades and will continue to do so for generations to come ... here is a dish that is healthy and easy to cook, yet many of us love to hate it or like to dislike it, but can we ignore it??? Naa, no ways, it was there, is there and will always be there doing its duty of filling tummies whether we like it or not. Mom’s will always say “masta vistara kornuka, dillele ashile nutachi kha, natleri galeka bandita (in konkani) meaning ab zyada nakrey matH karo, aur chup chap khalo nahin toh gale me bandoongi”.

** My own love- n- hate relationship of rulav panna/ Upma dates back to childhood and growing years when I detested it the most, even when topped with lots of Shenvo/ Sev/ Farsan. However, this forgiving snack never got angry with me when I brushed it aside to reach out to its better-loved cousin’s sheera, sapatha, laddoo, khara bhaat etc. It has always been waiting patiently for me to understand and learn more about its importance in health aspects and I am proudly admitting that I have done so a decade back and feel ashamed at my ignorance about rava for decades before that. The humble upma without any inhabitations has gladly come to my rescue a hundred times during the pandemic last year.

** I recall those growing years when we groaned seeing upma being served to us; however one warning note in Mom’s voice and we always ate without a murmur making dislike faces, as those days we were scared to say NO, forget throwing a tantrum. Mom always insisted that all food served be it in anyone’s home or functions should never be detested and be consumed quietly. She always said, if you do not like it, just eat a little bit but do not push it aside, which endorses the saying Annam Parabrahma Swaroopam, which actually means, food on one’s plate is by God’s grace and should be given the highest respect. In fact, all religions teach one to offer a prayer of thanks to God before consuming food.

** So, whenever upma was served, I used to pretend that it was my favorite ghee rice and ate it quietly and many a times my trick worked too ... aahhha, those blissfull years. As for Upma, it has fought it own battles, stubbornly stood its ground and come a long way, moving ahead slowly- n-faithfully serving through years and has many a times saved us from awkward situations when guests drop by without notice. However, Upma, silently still craves for love, attention and recognition, as until date it is always Sheera, Poha, Dosa, Idly, Shevai, Oondi etc. or for that matter even Sabudana dishes that’s given priority on serving table, while the humble upma waits to be noticed placed at a corner.

** Preparing of upma is always kept as a last option in homes and I have always heard it being addressed so too through my growing years to date. Have you ever given a thought that in emergency, it was always rava that is pulled off the shelf to be prepared as upma and it stood by too, without grumbling, only to be pushed to back shelf again. As years pass by there are drastically changes in priorities of life, one becomes wiser and starts thinking on health issues sidelining chiberuchi (in Konkani)/ taste. Nutritionist have now begun to recognize rava, poha, jowar, bajra, millet etc. without promoting oats, cornflakes, pasta, noodles etc. which is actually a western adoption of food brought to breakfast table ignorantly.

** TV advertisements seen all through the day by consumers are lead to believing what’s seen not to mention certain false leading memes on networks about health and nutrition. These are all promotions by companies for their own benefits and you realize about it only in the long run when you lose health due to consumption of the same leading to faulty eating lifestyle. Think about it in leisure, aren’t we just blindly aping the western culture brushing aside our traditional healthy lifestyle. Have ever given a thought to why we fall sick so often, while our parents or grandparents had a healthier long life eating 4 meals a day and here we are fighting the battle of bulge and again falling prey to false diet tips.

** We join the Gym, working against our capacity to lose some weight and in the process make just a dent in our pockets. If we just wind the clock backwards and summarize our ancestor’s lifestyle habits, oh yes, you will find the answer there. True easier said than done, who else knows it better than me, who has fallen prey to it also. Again, I am not a nutritionist and it is not that I have not relished pizzas, oats, cornflakes, biscuit, which still are my favorite and that which I bank on for emergencies, and however, I must confess that Rava has slowly sneaked into my life along with other few items becoming my top most priority today. I will write about others in some other post as here the hero of the post is Rava.

** Well, as I have already mentioned I have finally brought it to the front shelf of my kitchen cupboard giving it its due, love and recognition happily. On part of rava it has still not turned over, proud or arrogant and still stands by me through times, but it now happily, waits patiently for its turn to be prepared as upma and yes it loves the dressing I give it with addition of those beautiful veggies like peas, carrots, cauliflower, tomatoes, cabbage etc. complementing its beauty, above all I think it has fallen in love with those evenly browned cashew nuts as the glory in upma always lies when topped with them more than coriander leaves, I must say. And yes, off course it tastes wonderful as it when served steaming hot.

** Being versatile it gels in well in combo with other ingredients, as is the case with Idlies. Again, a little bit added on while preparing poori dough to rises it all crisp and beautiful and puffed and poof goes the air while pierced making children glee in happiness and relish the same too. Bhakri a thick dosa patted directly on tava is one breakfast dish from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine that is extensively prepared in various combinations while the main ingredients remains rava. I have shared plenty of varieties of my own combos in the blog which you can find using search option. I am sure I will be preparing more of them in coming future and I am also sure the humble rava will definitely stand up to the challenges.

** Traditional dishes are not just as pictures in books to be browsed through or taken lightly as something common, there is many good in it for us, it is the result of research of generations of experiments that has kept it going until date. We with receiving of higher education should respect that and carry forward the legacy maybe making a few changes adapting to present situations but keeping the basics intact. Just imagine we need to study via, books, reference materials etc. but thousands of years back our ancestors learned subject be it of food or otherwise, simply by memories and word of mouth or some inscriptions on stone and that’s something we just cannot do today, Can we???

** At least I cannot, I forget things easily and need to jot them down, we should give due credit for this legacy we got, instead we just brush it aside and reach out to instantly available food, materials, sometimes just copying blindly other cultures. Having said that no culture in its own is bad, it all depends on place, growing up years, habits etc. one should adapt to the lifestyle of the vicinity they stay in, consume local veggies grown seasonally as that is the natures way of putting things right. For example, staying in a place where there is not snow but building a home architectures for snowfall is foolishness. So, it is when it comes to food habits, you need to stay to your roots, eat good food that you had through childhood.

** Health has become the most important topic round the world now having to face covid pandemic for almost a year now. Healthy body’s do have better immune system to resist or overcome the viral attacks. Most of the nutritionist now endorse simple Indian traditional food though sometimes they too confuse us changing the stand often. Therefore, I have just given up on all those fronts and stuck to what my Mom, Mamama (maternal grandma) taught us, coz. they have all lived fit to above 85 year of age without ailments and that is good enough for me as a guideline to the Do’s and Dont’s. Do enjoy bringing back that rava upma into your life, it is sure to make you happier and healthier. …

Hamesh Swast Raho, Khush Raho
Ghar ka Khane kahi mazzaa lelo
Lekin upma ko kabhi matH Bhoolna
Upma ka Saat DogHe, Toh Vo humesha 
Tumhare Saat DegHa

** Disclaimer : The above article written is just my thoughts and not meant to impose any restrictions or advice or accuse anybody of any thing whatsoever. It is always difficult to write something about food or food habits as each body is different and gives different results. So, please do not take this article otherwise or try implementing it into your life without consulting your Dr. or Nutritionist (I am neither) if you have any other ailments. My sole intention has always been to help out people via my kitchen tips and not discourage anybody in any way. I strongly believe in Live and Let Live, there is ample place in this beautiful world for all. Do excuse if in the process anybody's sentiments have been hurt, it was definitely not my intention. Once again I insist you take proper guidance, before you fall into any practice regarding food or making changes in them ...  God Bless all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.