Friday, March 5, 2021

Urad- Rice Idly, Urad- Cabbage Vadas served with Tambde Beeyeche Kolumbo (Red Bean Sambar).


"Urad- Rice Idly, Urad- Cabbage Vadas served with Tambde Beeyeche Kolumbo (Red Bean Sambar)" ... no onion- garlic meal ... for the first time I prepared these vadas using urad dal flour ... sometimes when there is no option we have to opt for changes ... so gave a try and I was very happy with the results ... I have not added any soda powder for this ... Yet they turned out soft and spongy ... and before I forget to tell, the vadas are not smooth surfaced due to addition of cabbage ... Yummilicious ....

** These Vadas are slightly different for the fact that I have prepared them using urad dal/ black gram dal flour which cuts down the method of soaking, grinding etc. Well, I did use the mixer here and mixed the flour in it with water to incorporate air into the mixture, though you can use the beater or whisker and do the same with hands too. My hubby had been insisting that I use flours of all ingredients that I needed to prepare dosa, idly, vadas etc. I have always relied on wet grinder for grinding of urad dal as it yields definitely into a fluffy batter while with flour it is slightly denser and quantity wise to lesser.

** As it is only the two of us, compared to the workload involved it definitely is a better choice though taste wise there is a minute difference in both methods outcome. Again, if you add on a little bit of cooking soda to the mixture just before frying it is sure to give better or rather fantastic results but then somehow I try my best to avoid addition of soda, unless absolutely necessary. I added a bit of curds to the mixture and allowed it to rest for 6 hours in a warm place which gave it some fermentation and fluffiness and I got a wonderful vadas that were soft from within and crisp from outside.

** I was using flour for vadas the first time and yet to use them for dosa etc. as somehow my mind had never given it a thought. With advancing age, and facing lots of health issues basically with neck shoulder pain it makes it difficult to go through workload that involves a lot of mixing or stirring or lifting grinder weight etc. So, I am now seriously thinking it as an option which will not only solve my problem but may help many who face such problems or face time issues or for that matter most of the time it is issue of quantity as with nuclear family we need lesser amount and grinding on stone gives lots of leftovers.

** I have been doing a lot of trial and error work in my kitchen but with constraint of time I have not been successful with many as my main issue is trying to avoid addition of cooking soda. Most of the recipes I browsed through net on similar lines claiming instant have all soda included in them, off course there is no harm is using soda, but I really do not know anything about its nutrient or plus or minus points. Mom never added even for banana buns and even my hubby does not like much the taste of soda though a little bit is fine by us. Soon I will be sharing more recipes, so do keep a watch out for the same if interested.


** Here is my simple method of preparing "Urad- Rice Idly, Urad- Cabbage Vadas served with Tambde Beeyeche Kolumbo (Red Bean Sambar)" using urad dal flour ….

** Add two cups of urad dal flour (Black gram dal powder), into a mixer grinder with salt (namak/ meeta) to taste and about ¼ cup of water along with 2 tblsp of curds (dahi) and run the mixer on low mode added little by little water further as you grind, till I got a thick paste similar to that of Vadas.

** I purchased it Urad Dal/ Black Gram Dal Flour from flourmill where we get all types of flours readily available.

** Let the batter stay in mixer, but cover it with a tight lid and kept it aside in a warm place for about 5-6 hours and let ferment a bit. After the stipulated time, add 2 tblsp of rice flour (tandla pitti) to the urad flour and once again run the mixer on low mode sprinkling once or twice water only if necessary until the batter turned soft and fluffy.

** Remove it into a bowl, add one cup of finely chopped cabbage, some finely chopped curry leaves (karbevu/ kadipatta), pinch of hing (asafoetida), one inch of grated ginger (alle’/ adrak), 5-6 finely chopped green chillies and mix well in clockwise direction. If you want add ½ tsp of cooking soda now and mix well, I have not added any, but adding will give more fluffier vadas.


** Now the batter for preparation of Urad Cabbage Vadas/ Biscuit Ambado is ready, if you know the process of preparing the vadas with a center hole you may follow the same with the batter, fry them till crisp and done till all the batter is done with and serve with sambar. However, if you want a proper understanding of the procedure of the frying method you can check out the link given below for the same.

** The link below is of mixed dal vada and I am enclosing it only for the procedure of frying method while the recipe stands as mentioned above. Step by step procedure picture is given there which will enable proper understanding of the process. I have used the stainless steel sieve for preparing of the vadas, just be careful and observe the picture keenly and it is a breeze work once learned ......

** After following the above link I am sure you have followed the method of deep frying, go ahead and do so till the batter is done with. Remember to fry them on constant heat to get evenly fried vadas. Also do serve them hot immediately either with any chutney of your choice or sambar. I had prepared Red bean samabar and it tasted awesome in combination of the same, though I had also prepared Idlies too.

** If you find any difficulty in following the procedure or unable to know the procedure you can check out any you tube video too, though the step by step pictures will definitely be enough. I am also sharing a common link below to all the vadas posted in the blog before, you can check them out for more reference too as they too have lots of pictures in them of different methods of preparing and frying the vadas.

** I am also sharing a common link to all the Idly recipes posted in the blog, you can browse through and choose any that you would love to try out .....
https://gayathrifoodbytes.blogspot.com/search?q=idly

** For “Tambde Beeyeche Kolumbo (Red Bean Sambar)” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.