Monday, March 16, 2020

Knol Khol- Piyava Upkari/ Turnip- Onion Stir Fry.


"Knol Khol- Piyava Upkari/ Gathgobhi (Noolkol/ Turnip/ Kohlrabi)- Onion Bhaji/ Stir Fry" ... Knol Khol is something I hardly bring home and prepare any dishes except a few times wherein I have prepared sukke ... however, here is a simple stir fry that goes well when served along with other dishes in Thali ... 

** Knol Khol also known as Noolkol/ Turnip/ Kohlrabi is a veggie available worldwide sometimes in different color but by and large it’s color is slightly off whitish green, let’s say very light green on the outer skin portion and pale yellow within. My mom never cooked it, for that matter I do not remember eating it until I got married and settled in Mumbai and I really do not know why, maybe it was not liked or not so commonly available. When I first came across this veggie in Market, I just moved ahead to select others ignoring the humble looking veggie. My hubby’s Aunt who dropped in after a few weeks explained to me about it when I queried the same. Later, I dug into info and found out a little bit of the same, brought it home and prepared sukke. Somehow, I found it out to be just like potato and decided to leave it aside. Three decades back there was no net facility and we relied on cookery books and magazines. Though there was lot of recipes, there was not much of info you could rely on. 

** Special thanks to Srikanth Bhandary-mam for inspiring me to bring home this veggie. Srikanth- mam, who consistently shares his food in my group “Konkani Delicacies”, posted upkari/bhaji with Knol-Khol many a times and I have always wanted to give it a try for some time now. I also searched through my most reliable and best friend Google and found out loads of recipes and realized that this one was a versatile veggie that could be prepared equally well in place of potatoes and was in fact quite delicious too. To my joy, a few days back my veggie vendor also brought the same to sell and I was quite delighted, purchased it and decided the first dish I would cook with this veggie would be simple upkari, to taste it and then venture into newer recipes. You will be seeing many more recipes soon with this simple veggie, so do keep logging into my blog and I would love to note if you prepare them and relish with your family and friends and remember to give me a feedback if possible. 

** Here is my simple recipe for "Knol Khol- Piyava Upkari/ Gathgobhi (Noolkol/ Turnip/ Kohlrabi)- Onion Bhaji/ Stir Fry" .... I prepared it exactly the same way that we prepare Potato- Onion upkari from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine and it tasted wonderful served as a side dish in thali ….. 

** Slice off the outer thick light greenish skin of 2 medium sized Knol- Khol (Gathgobhi/ Noolkol/ Turnip/ Kohlrabi) as thinly as possible and cut them into julienne of about 1/6 inch thickness. Put them immediately in a bowl with plenty of water to which a pinch of salt has been added. Let it remain so until rest of the preparations are done with. 

** Peel off the skin of 1 large sized or 2 medium sized Onions (Piyavu/ Kanda) and slice them vertically into thin slices finely. Keep them ready aside. Here I would like to mention that the quantity of potato and onions are slightly taken in the ratio of 1:1. You can do variations and add in a little bit of more potatoes. But in my home we like more onions so I keep it that way. 

** In a thick bottomed kadai/ pan, heat 2 tblsp of oil (any edible oil) and when it’s hot, lower the heat to minimum and add in ½ tsp of mustard seeds (Rai/ Sasam), when they begin to splutter/ crackle add in 4-5 dry red chillies (lal mirchi) cut into small pieces, ½ tsp of hing (asafoetida) powder and 8-10 fresh curry leaves (kadipatta/ karbevu).

** Fry the above for a few seconds and then add in the finely sliced onions. Continue frying just for a minute or two until they are translucent. Meanwhile drain off the water and rinse the Knol-Khol pieces under running water by putting them in an colander. Shake off as much water as possible and add this into the kadai once the onions have turned slightly pinkish and mix well. 

** Cook on heat for a minute or two and then lower the heat to minimum, cover and cook till the knoll-khol is half done. Sprinkle water in between if you find the need to do so. Now add salt to taste (namak/ meeta), mix well and again cover and cook until done mixing a few times in between if necessary. Lastly, garnish (Optional) with a tablespoon of freshly grated coconut (soyi/ nariyal), mix well, cook for 2 minutes and it’s done. 

** "Knol Khol- Piyava Upkari/ Gathgobhi (Noolkol/ Turnip/ Kohlrabi)- Onion Bhaji/ Stir Fry" is done and ready to be served. Serve this simple- healthy- delicious upkari as a side dish along with rice and any othe dish of your choice in thali. Goes very well with Dalitoy and Rice or with chapati / roti or any curry/ dishes assembled together. Do enjoy this simple bhaji with your family and friends. 

** A simple Bhaji which I served in my thali with bhendi kurkuri/ lady’s finger fries and Vali Ambat/ Malabar Spinach curry and it was a wonderful combo. Glad to have tried out this veggie and really regret for not having done so long back. Well, now that it is done, definitely going to stay in my experiments in my kitchen to try out various dishes using the same. 

** There are many more simple “Upkari/ Bhaji” from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine which is very healthy way of preparing veggies. Do give it a try and enjoy the health benefits with your family and Children. Remember home cooked food is always good for growing up children as well as yourself and your family. Sharing the common link below, please browse through in leisure and do try them out ….. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.