Monday, March 9, 2020

Different types of Ubbati/ Puran Poli / Obbattu/ Holige and Sweet Samosa.


"Different types of Ubbati/ Puran Poli / Obbattu/ Holige" ... Wishing all my friends "A Very Happy & Prosperous Holi" ... Ubbati is a traditional sweet dish with sweet filling prepared during “Holi; The festival of Colours” ... There are many variations of Ubbati prepared in India from North to South and East to West ... But one thing remains unchanged and that is its popularity not only across the country but around the world at large ... Sharing 5 types of Ubbati prepared by me till date .... (1) Gajjar/ Carrot stuffed Ubbati (2) Chana Dal Ubbati (3) Dry Fruits Kayi (coconut) Holige (4) Nendrabale Banana- Khajoor Ubbati (5) Kaayi- Cus Cus Ubbati and if you want a change from regular puran poli, then try (6) Puran~ Dry Fruit Patti Samosa, that is definitely going to be a hit with Kids Enjoy Holi with family and friends, but do play safe with colors and water considering the present situation round the world ... God Bless All ... 

** During childhood “Holi” meant Amitabhji singing “Ranga Barase Bheege Chunarwali Ranga Barase” from the famous movie “Silsila”. Holi was brought to light and spread all over the country with this beautiful song enchantingly acted by Amitabh Bachchan and Rekha. Nobody could have played the role better than these two best actors till date. In my home town during my childhood, holi was not something celebrated and I really do not know much about it. Ubbati the traditional dish so famous in the Northern parts of the country which is called Puran Poli, was prepared in the name of Ubbati by Konkani Saraswats during Diwali festival and it was only after marriage I came across the tradition of preparing puran poli for holi and offering it to Agni, the lighted fire with collection of a heap of wood etc. I will not write much on this topic as personally I do not know much except that what I watched in movies but, yes definitely a much enjoyed festival in the northern parts wherein the next day people play with colored water, drenching each other in it. 

** Coming to the "Ubbati/ Puran Poli / Obbattu/ Holige" part there are many varieties in which you can prepare this delicious sweet roti and I myself to date have prepared around 8-10 of which I have only 5 in record. Again, I have tried a samosa with the sweet filling and that was really wonderful in taste and my friends children loved those small sweet patti samosas very much. I written in detail about these dishes in each of the puran poli links given below, so will not repeat the same again. This post was made as a collection of those which I had prepared, for easy access in search and for sharing purpose. You can choose that variety which you would like to prepare and relish in your home, though all of them are equally tasty. Always do try out various options, getting out of the routine mold of preparing dishes in same old method. By including new varieties you will not only enjoy preparing them but so will your family relishing something new each time. I will definitely be posting many more types of Ubbati as and when I prepare and will update the same here too. 


** Sharing links below to 5 types of Ubbati prepared by me until date and a samosa with similar filling which is shared in the picture above. I have also enclosed a collage of step by step procedure of preparing the same as the procedure of binding the outer dough and stuffing and rolling are all in similar pattern. The only difference in the 5 puran poli given below are the inner fillings only while the method remains the same …. 

1.. For "Gajjar/Carrot Ubbati (Puran Poli/Holige/Obbattu/Sweet Bread)" Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

2. For traditional Chana Dal filling “Ubbati/ Puran Poli/ Obbattu/ Holige” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

3. For "Dry Fruits Kayi~ Holige/ Coconut Puran Poli/ Soye Churna Ubbati" Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

4. For “Nendrabale Banana- Khajoor (Dates) Ubbati/ Puran Poli” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

5. For "Kaayi-Cus Cus Holige/Ubbati/Obbattu/Sweet Coconut Bread" Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

6. For "Puran~Dry Fruit Patti Samosa" Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.