Sunday, March 15, 2020

Bhendi Kurkuri/ Lady's Finger (Okra) Fries-3.


"Bhendi Kurkuri/ Lady's Finger (Okra) Fries-3" ... tasty- crisp fries that tastes great when served for lunch along with other dishes or as it is too with tomato ketchup ... I had always prepared this in Micro Wave, as it is almost nil in calories, also it turns out crisp and tasty too, but today for a change deep fried it for the sake of sharing here with friends ... Yummilicious ....

** I am sure Bhendi Kurkuri is a dish savored by almost every Indian by now as in the last decade or so. it has caught on to become viral. I tried this dish first time around a decade back just for fun in my micro wave and then never turned back to try out any other method as it turned out crisp and delicious not to mention almost oil free. Many a times, I did think of deep frying, but somehow did not do so as by now MW had become convenient for me and I had perfected the same. Having said it, I must say that since I cook only for two of us, it takes lesser time, though it does take about a good 20-25 minutes, so if you are larger family then I think deep frying or plain oven works better. Well, whichever method you use in frying them, they turn out delicious and crisp and almost similar in taste. So, if you want to cut down on fat then go for MW to which I am sharing the link at the bottom of this recipe. This one, I deep fried just for the sake of sharing with friends who do not want to use MW and love deep frying method. 

** Here is my simple tasty method of preparing "Bhendi Kurkuri/ Lady's Finger (Okra) Fries" using deep frying method … My Style … 



** Wash, wipe dry and slice of the edge portions of about 25-30 bhendi/ lady’s finger. Now cut them vertically into either 4 slices or 6 depending upon the thickness of the bhendi. The strips should be of medium thickness, not too thin lest they burn nor too thick in which case it will not turn out crisp and turn soften on resting. Again, if you find the length longer you can cut them into two too. Check the picture for a fair idea of slicing. 

** Put the cut bhendi in a large flat bowl. Add in salt as per taste, about 4-5 4 tblsp of besan (gram flour), 2 tblsp rice powder, 2 tsp of red chilli powder, ¼ tsp of hing (asfoetida) powder, and toss well. Now, sprinkle 2-3 tblsp of water and mix well. Keep sprinkling little by little and mixing together till you get a coated texture of batter to the bhendi pieces. I have enclosed a picture in the collage above for fair idea. 

** Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai/ pan for deep frying. When hot add in just one piece first to check out the heat level. If it burns, then reduce the heat and wait for a few minutes before you begin to fry, but if it starts sizzling then add in more of the prepared battered bhendi till the kadai is full of the same. Let cook on medium heat for a few minutes till cooked on bottom, then with the help of a holed/ ringed spatula invert the same and further cook till crisp. 

** Once cooked on the other side too, flip over a few times for even browning of the bhendi. Do not over brown them or they will turn black and bitter in taste. They should be just crisp enough evenly all over for it to remain kur kuri/ crisp for a long time. Remove and place over an absorbent paper and continue with the same method till rest of the bhendi are done and ready. Do check the heat, constantly for even frying or else they will not turn crisp properly. 


** "Bhendi Kurkuri/ Lady's Finger (Okra) Fries" is done and ready to be served. Serve them hot as they taste best then as a side dish with any dish of your choice. However, if done properly they will remain crisp for a few hours and can be served during lunch time along with other dishes, that is what I do. I served it for lunch with Vali Ambat and Knol Khol Upkari (Malabar Spinach Curry and Turnip Stir Fry) and it tasted awesome. 

** Bhendi Kurkuri has got up a fancy in the recent few years though it is an old recipe. I find many people loving this crisp dish, in fact many of them relish it as a snack dipped in tomato ketchup for time pass or tiffin or just when they want to munch on something during holidays. Children love them the most and will definitely ask for more. So, do try it out and enjoy with family and friends. 

** I have also prepare bhendi fries with combination of onions which had turned out fantastic. I am sharing a few links below, do check out on them for this delicious kurkuri recipe. The link includes the 2 micro waved ones too, they just differ in addition of spices while the basic method remains the same. Just check out through the links for the recipe and do give me a feedback when possible.

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.