Thursday, February 6, 2020

Barik Lapsi/ Mangalore Rava fried in Ghee- Seasoning and ready for Upma.


#GPTips_N_Tricks ... "Barik Lapsi/ Mangalore Rava fried in Ghee- Seasoning and ready for Upma" ... I am sure all of you have some tips and tricks up your sleeves that which you often use in kitchen ... this is one trick that saves my life when I need to start early on road which makes a tummy full breakfast which can be relished or carried in lunch box if prepared prior to cut short the early rush hours ... Yummilicious ....

** In the fast track of life we are often left out at cross roads when we are piled on with workload and not able to accomplish them all in a go. We are all working people now and are always in a hurry hardly getting time to ourselves. This happens with me often when I need to be out of city on work the following day and also I need to work late in the night to finish of the commitments, so that hubby and me can hit the road early. I prefer to get back home early before it turns darker as once its way past into late evening it become difficult avoiding the huge traffic jams if delayed.  Also if I reah home early evening, I can have my lunch and take a little bit of rest too, which is absolutely necessary after day long outing. I also need to get up early to finish cooking as we now do not prefer to eat out specially so on long roads that are lonely with not so well known eat outs. But then cooking both meal and breakfast becomes slightly a burden to carry out in the wee hours as I do not like noise which may disturb others, so most of my preparations are done on the previous day and only the most necessary or touch ups are given next morning. 

** I either prepare the rava bhakri mixture and keep in the fridge or prepare the seasoning etc. of the upma and keep it ready. Many a times if I feel I have enough time, then I prepare the batter for Idly and pour it in a round bowl / ramdan instead of individual vati as that too cuts of time, just leave it to steam when the other work is carried on. After all Idly can be relished with chutney podi, which is always prepared in bulk in my home for emergencies. Rava Upma is easier as all you need to do is add on boiling water and let it cook for a few minutes and it is done. Sharing my simple method of keeping yourself ready in case of emergencies in the home without worries of having to waste time preparing breakfast in the morning, yet getting to have a wholesome homemade breakfast, a tummy full, healthy upma that is sure to keep you going through the day. You can also carry it with you and relish it on the way after a few hours too, if too much in hurry to sit down in leisure for breakfast.  If like me you too are always in a hurry in the mornings juggling between workloads, do try out these tips and tricks and make life easier for yourself.

** Preparing and keeping ready for Upma : Just heat ghee, when hot and melted add in a handful of cashew nuts (kaju/ kajjubi) and fry till it turns light brown, remove and keep aside. Now add in urad dal (black gram dal) and when the color changes slightly add in the mustard seeds (rai/ sasam), when they begin to splutter add in curry leaves (kadipatta/ karbevu), green chillies (tarni mirsanga/ hirvi mirchi) cut lengthwise, large pinch of hing (asafoetida) and then add in the barik lapsi (Mangalore rava/ bansi rava/rulavu) and fry on medium to low heat for a good 5 minutes. Add salt to taste (namak) and the fried cashew nuts kept aside and mix well. Remove and allow to cool and then store in an airtight stainless steel dabba/box.

** The next morning add in boiling water double + a little bit more to the fried ingredients and let cook till done. Garnish if need be with some freshly grated coconut (soyi/ nariyal) if you are going to eat it immediately (optional) and mix well. "Rava Upma" one of the healthiest dish of all times is done and ready to be served. Serve it hot immediately or cool it a little bit and then pack it off in a tiffin and you are ready for the go... Zzzaaappp Zzzooomm .... enjoy your trip ....

** Note : I have not given measurements above as it entirely depends on the number of people you need to prepare the breakfast for. However, if using 1 cup of Mangalore Rava, then you can prepare with 2 tblsp of ghee, handful of cashew nuts, 1/2 tsp of urad dal, 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds, 5-6 curry leaves, 3 green chillies, a small pinch of hing and about 2 tblsp of freshly grated coconut. For this you can use 2 to 2.5 cups of boiling water or more if need be.

** Note : You can also add in a few frozen green peas and a little bit of grated carrots and it does taste lovely, I do it often. However I use fresh peas, which I cook in micro wave sprinkle little bit of water for 2 minutes and it is done. While grated carrots I add on along with hot water. If adding carrots cut into pieces, cut them into the same size as that of peas and you can cook them both in micro wave together too. If not using micro wave, you can cook them with little bit of water, the previous day and add it to the rava, mix and keep it too, just see to it that you drain excess water and cool the same before adding in to the seasoned rava kept ready.

** Note : I always use Ghee for Upma, but many of my friends do use oil while preparing the same and some of them use them in the ratio of 1:1 together too, so go ahead and prepare it the way you always do, no issues. However, I would like to give you a quick note on ghee which is simple made the villain over the years. Both Ghee and Coconut oil are quite save when used in limited quantities. Also now the world over nutritionist are vouching by ghee to be the best for consumption. I have been using 1 tablespoon of ghee for both hubby and me on daily basis and we love it. But, the choice is yours and do consult your Doctor if need be. 

** I am sharing below a common link to "Upma" posted in blog before, do go through the same ... 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.