Friday, January 31, 2020

Crisp Urad- Masoor- Chana- Rice Dosa.


"Crisp Urad- Masoor- Chana- Rice Dosa served with Ginger- Garlic- Curry Leaves Spiced Chutney Powder topped with Coconut Oil and Gooseberry- Lemon- Ginger-Green Chilly Pickle" ... Breakfast means breaking of fast in the morning after hours of break through night, it is the first meal of the day so make it a nutritious one to pull you in right spirit through the day ... here is a dosa that I prepared on my own which surprisingly turned out very crisp and delicious ... Yummilicious ....  

** Dosas are my most favorite breakfast dish and so it is of every GSB Konkani Saraswat. Different types of breakfast dishes area always prepared in almost every home on regular basis. Traditional dishes like polo (dosa), appo (paniyarams), shevai (string hoppers), upma, usli, you name them and they are all relished on regular basis. However, to the best of my knowledge it is polo/dosa with coconut chutney and Idly/khotto that rules the roost. I have written a lot about dosa's in my previous posts here too, how much we love them when they turn out crisp. I have been always experimenting continuously on various combination of pulses and dals and most of them have turned out fantastic. Until a few years back I always just used eyeball measurements and randomly added on the ingredients to only regret later that I had not written it down and to my dismay after a few days I could not recall the same in exact method. So now I have kept a book with pen stringed tightly to it on the top of my MW and jot down on shorthand as I add the ingredients, that way I will not miss out something nor will I forget it at later date. 

** Here is another polo/dosa of my own, which I just tried on a hunch randomly giving it my own measurements and I was so pleased when the first dosa itself turned out crisp and yumz. I had no difficulty in removing the dosas as this was really a user friendly recipe. How I wished I had prepared coconut chutney to serve along to relish the same. I am sure it would have tasted another notch higher on delicacy and had I prepared potato-onion bhaji it would definitely have been a 100% of blockbuster at home. I am sure to prepare it again in right combo soon and and next time once again I will share the same with you here, so excuse the chutney powder and pickle shared along though it tasted wonderful too as hubby loved it. Without running into much details I will straight away write in this dosa recipe here. This one is easy as I have soaked all dals together and also ground in mixer grinder which makes it that much easier to try out. Do try out this dosa/polo if you and your family like crisp textured dosas. I am sure they will all love it, do prepare chutney for serving if possible and do not forget to give me feedback. 

** Here is my very own recipe for "Crisp Urad- Masoor- Chana- Rice Dosa” … My Style … 

** Ingredients : 
Urad Dal / Black Gram Dal without skin : 3 cups 
Masoor Dal/Split Red Lentils : 2 cups 
Chana Dal/Bengal Gram Dal : 1 cup 
Ordinary Rice : 3 cups (I used Surti Kolam) : 3 cups 
Methi/Fenugreek Seeds : 2 tsp 
Ginger/Alle’/Adrak : 2 inch piece 
Green Chillies/Hirvi Mirchi/Tarni Mirsanga : 5-6 
Coriander Leaves/Kottimbari Pallo/Dhania : handful 
Salt to taste 

Ghee+Oil (Toop+Tel) : in proportion of 1:1 for removing of dosa. 

** Wash well and soak urad dal+ masoor dal+ chana dal + rice together in plenty of water for about 5-6 hours. 

** Soak methi in ¼ cup of water in a small cup separately. This will be used while grinding the dosa better. I do not add the methi along with the dals coz. When we drain off the water the methi properties are also lost through it. You can use lukewarm water if you have only 10-15 mins time at hand only. It will give similar result. 

** Wash well and drain off all the water from the soaked dals+rice. Put this in a mixer grinder along with the soaked methi along with the water in which it soaked and grind to a very smooth, fluffy paste adding on very little water only. Do not add more water or the batter will be thin. When done remove the batter in a deep vessel. 

** Put ginger cut into small pieces along with green chillies and coriander leaves into mixer grinder and grind to a coarse paste. Remove and add this to the batter in the vessel and mix well. Lastly add in salt to taste on top of the batter without mixing, cover with tight lid and leave batter to ferment for 8-10 hours or overnight. 

** Once the batter has fermented well, beat the batter well in clockwise direction till its mixed evenly and if you find that the batter is too thick add in some water and mix well. Do not make the batter too thin. I kept it thicker as that of idly batter consistency and it was really easy to spread on tava into a thin texture evenly into round shape.


** To remove the dosa : Heat a non stick pan or iron tawa (I use iron tawa), till smoking point. The tawa should be really hot. Lower the heat add a tsp of ghee+oil and spread well. Now rub the tawa with a folded napkin or tissue paper (I use tissue) and spread the oil gently into a thin even layer on the tawa. Excess oil gets absorbed by the paper. 

** Now pour a large ladle full of batter (say about half a cup) at the center of the tawa and spread nicely with the bottom round surface of the ladle / spatula into a large circle clockwise evenly. Do not apply pressure while doing so, or else the dosa will get bubbled or may tear out at places and not spread evenly, the way the dosa should be done. 

** Spreading of dosa technique once learned is a lifetime blessing. So watch your mom/relative or a friendly neighbor/ friends closely while preparing dosas. Always watching clearly and keenly on one to one basis is the best way to learn, that way you will learn the right pressure. If not you can watch any you tube for the same. 

** Raise the heat to medium, sprinkle some oil+ghee drops all round the rim of the dosa and also on the top of the dosa. This helps browning of the dosa well evenly. When the dosa has cooked and is browned on the bottom side, gently remove dosa with the help of a flat spatula, fold it over into half and place it on the serving plate and serve hot. 

"Crisp Urad- Masoor- Chana- Rice Dosa” is done and ready to be served. Always serve dosa directly hot from the tawa onto serving plate, they are best relished that way. This dosa will definitely taste wonderful if served with chutney/ samaba / bhaji. However, I had not prepared the same, so served it with chutney powder and pickle and it was extremely tasty with it too. 

** Remove the required no. of dosas following the same procedure for each dosa. You may keep the excess batter immediately in an airtight container in fridge for later use. Remains good for 24-36 hours, if handled properly. Enjoy the Dosa with family and friends and trust me it turns really crisp, so children and elderly people are sure to love it. 

** Note : You can prepare the dosa with either only oil or ghee too, or prepare it in combination of 1:1 ratio the way I do. I really cannot specify the reason as I follow my mother blindly on this one, she always removes the dosas in this manner and they turn out awesome, crisp and tasty too with a lovely aroma of homemade ghee. 

** For the "Ginger-Garlic-Curry Leaves Spiced Chutney Powder (Pitti)" …. Recipe … Please follow the link given below …… 

** For the “Avalo-Limbiyo-Alle’-Tarni Mirsange Nonche (kochla nonche) / Gooseberry-Lemon-Ginger-Green Chilly Pickle (chopped pieces) with a dash of Curry Leaves (Kadipatta/Karbev) Flavor - 2” Recipe … Please follow the link given below …… 

** For the “Kadak Adraki Chai/ Strong Ginger Tea” Recipe … Please follow the link given below …… 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.