Thursday, January 2, 2020

Fresh Turmeric Ginger Lemonade/Syrup.


"Chilled Fresh Turmeric Ginger Lemonade/Syrup" ... a delicious homemade coolant with loads of health benefits that includes anti- inflammatory properties ... just add in 1 part of the syrup to 3-4 parts of cold water and whip up a lemonade in seconds ... awesome taste of spices and tartness with added on zing ... Yummilicious ....

** I have often mentioned my craze for saffron/kesar and cardamom/ellaichi when it comes to flavors specially so in addition of syrup/concentrates. I also love adding on these lovely Indian flavors to any dishes especially cold drinks, desserts, laddoos, burfi and even certain non-veg dishes. I have always added on a dash of cardamom powder to sherbat/lemonade while saffron I add on at times only, the later being costly. Saffron costs a bomb and I always use it sparingly but I must admit I love the color it imparts to the dishes. I have never liked much addition of artificial flavors or color to dishes and do so if it is inevitable only. So when I came across fresh turmeric roots/tarne haldi mande my joy knew no bounds looking at the beautiful saffron color it imparted to dishes. I must say I have fallen in love with this tuber variety ingredient and have begun using it extensively as it available in plenty during monsoon. These have always been around, but somehow I never gave much thought to it and except once or twice did not even purchase it over the years. 

** Technology is something our generation should be thankful for. If not for Google, I would never have learned so much that each day passes of learning something new be it in the field of food or others subjects. Spirituality has always caught on my attention and I love to read short stories on them specially pauranik ones. I love to read them and write them as short stories in my own adaption, though I must confess it has taken a back seat recently due to lack of time. I am juggling between so many things that I really do not know where I will end up at times. But, frankly I am enjoying this phase of life now, as I was really worried I would end up in a corner doing nothing worthwhile after taking a break from my business. Life is beautiful with many opportunities lying here and there, it is within us to pick up that which interests us and give it our full attention and dedication to bring out success in the same as nothing comes easy, you have to slog it out for sure. I have come across so many interesting things in net that now 24 hours a day falls short for me and I really wish there were more. 

** Regarding food, you all know I am a foodie, though I would love to do much more, I hold back as I do not like wasting food nor do I want to tire out myself in the process which may then lead to complications. Remember slow and steady wins the race, so I suggest all not to fear trying out new dishes, just take baby steps and the end result will be really heartwarming. If having so many back issue problems I can do it, then you can sure as well do it better, so get going. Coming to this syrup, it just happened in the spur of the moment. I was preparing many dishes using turmeric roots in the past few weeks as you can see on my last posts when this thought crossed over. I had bought lots of lemons to prepare ginger lemonade, and I thought why not add these on to get that lovely saffron color and rest is history as you can see it in the pictures. I got a deep orange colored syrup concentrate that when prepared into cold drink in the ratio of 1:4 ie 1 part of syrup and 4 parts of chilled water turns out into a beautiful and lovely saffron colored drink and I suggest you must try it out. 

** Preparation of Chilled Fresh Turmeric Ginger Lemonade/Syrup is simple and easy but you have to store it in the fridge and must be consumed within a few weeks. All you need is 5 ingredients and water to bind it. Yes, off course, you just need sugar, ginger, turmeric root, cardamoms and lemons to prepare the syrup and you can relax and enjoy adding them to dishes of your choice or just relish it as a lemonade for that in between meal cravings or may be to quench your thirst when you are tired out. This lemonade is surely a health booster with anti- inflammatory properties that will do you a lot of good in the long run, so go for it without any hesitation. Remember to pour the prepared syrup in glass bottles for storing in the fridge as plastic bottles are simply NO-NO. Try including steel and glassware for usage in your kitchen and use plastic only when needed or you have no other option, we should save the word for future generations by cutting down on plastic as much as we can. Do try this syrup out if fresh turmeric roots are available to you and reap in the health benefits for you and your family. 


** Here is my simple method of preparing "Chilled Fresh Turmeric Ginger Lemonade/Syrup" … My Style …. 

** Ingredients : 
Sugar/Shakkar/Sakkara : 3 cups 
Water/Uddaka/Pani : 3-4 cups 
Lemon/Limbiyo Juice : 2 cups (approximately) 
Fresh Ginger/Alle’/Adrak : 75-100 gms (Approximately) 
Fresh Turmeric Root/Tarne Haldi Mande/Fresh Haldi : 50 gms (Approximately) 
Cardamom/Ellaichi/Yellu : 10-12 
Kala Namak : ½ tsp (Optional) 

** Wash and scrap of the outer skin off fresh ginger root and fresh turmeric root. Grate them and keep them ready aside. 

** In a thick bottomed stainless steel vessel bring water to boiling point. Lower the heat to medium and add in the sugar, stir until the sugar has dissolved. Now increase the heat and let the water come to boil for about 3-4 minutes. 

** Now add in the grated ginger, turmeric and mix well. Let the mixture boil till the syrup reaches to 1 thread consistency say for about 8-10 minutes. The water will turn out thicker and turn into deep orange colour. Now remove from heat and keep it aside to be completely cooled to room temperature. 

** While the syrup is being cooled, wash and wipe the lemons dry with a cloth. Cut them into halves and squeeze out the juice. Collect them in a bowl and keep it ready aside. 

** Also crush the inner seeds of cardamoms after peeling of the skin finely and keep it also ready aside. You can also use ready cardamom powder. 

** Once the syrup has cooled down add in the squeezed out lemon juice, kala namak (Optional) and cardamom powder to it and mix well. Cover with a tight lid and keep it aside for 6-8 hours, to get the flavours infused into the syrup properly. 

** Strain the syrup through a fine stainless steel sieve into a sterilized glassware bottle and store it in the fridge and use as and when required in the ratio of 1 part of the syrup : 3-4 parts of chilled water, depending upon how sweet you want the drink to be. Remains good for a few weeks. 


** "Chilled Fresh Turmeric Ginger Lemonade/Syrup" is done and ready to be served. To prepare the chilled lemonade add one part of the syrup in glass and pour over 3-4 parts of chilled water, mix well, top with a few ice cubes if desired and serve immediately. You can also soak and keep ready sabja seeds and add them on to the cool drink. 

** Do try out this healthy tasty coolant this season when both lemons and fresh turmeric roots are available in plenty and sip them with your family and friends. You can avoid chilled water and add normal room temperature water too, so during cold season we usually do not drink cold drinks and prefer warm ones. 

** Caution : Again it is also better to serve children at room temperature to avoid them catching on cold as its winter time and drinking them on cooler temperatures is highly avoidable. Though this is a cold drink, it is very good with anti-inflammatory properties and is very good for health, so do drink it up if possible and to be safe have it at room temperature like I do. 

** You can check the thinner lighter yellow color sherbat/lemonade prepared using the syrup alongside in the picture. Very easy to prepare coolant which can be even given as gift to your family or friends when you decide to drop into their homes for a chitchat or family gathering. I am sure they will be happy to receive it than some fizzed stored bought cold drink. 

** Note : You can make variations in the ratio of syrup and water, depending upon how sweet you want your cold drink to be. It is always individual choice on sweet preferences. 

** Note : Do check out the tartness of the lemon before adding them on all to the syrup as some lemons are higher and some lower in the level of the same. If you find them, more acidic then add on lesser, take a sip to taste and then you can add in more if necessary only. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.