Monday, January 13, 2020

Dalitoy with Fresh Turmeric-Ginger Root.


"Dalitoy with Tarne Haldi Mande ani Alle'/ Spiced Tuvar Dal with Fresh Turmeric and Ginger Root" ... Starting the year with simple Amchi Dalitoy from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine to which I added on some grated fresh turmeric and ginger root both of which are good for health specially so during winter ... tastes aromatic, tasty and delicious when served with rice ... Yummilicious ....... 

** “Dalitoy” is given the utmost importance in Konkani Saraswat Cuisine, which is mostly prepared with Tuvar Dal. A meal without the presence of this spiced dal is unheard of at any functions or festivals. Even with changing times its has stood amidst all dishes proudly and with dignity and will not budge for generations to come. A dal served with rice that is relished by every Konkani from childhood till ripe age and yet no one seems to ever tire of it with maybe a few hand counting exceptions. Even so is the case with young toddlers, once a child crosses around 6-8 months a little bit of mashed dal is added on to its food too. Once the child is around a year old then a combination of rice and dal ground to a smooth paste is fed as a meal and I guess that is the stage from where the child develops a liking to this dal, which becomes habitual in the later on stages of life. I have already written a lot about Dalitoy which at times we fondly call our Kuladevu meaning our family diety, as that is the standard of importance given to a meal with dalitoy and rice among Konkani Saraswats. Dalitoy is loved very much even in my home and hubby and me can have it just with rice and a bhaji with a dash of pickle without a murmur. There are always a few variations that can be made with any dishes while cooking for a little bit of change from routine methods if need be and I have posted dalitoy prepared with minute changes many times before too. You can use search option or link given at the bottom and look out for the same and try them out too, they are all tasty and you just cannot go wrong with a delicious dal, so rest assured and go ahead. 

** Here also the method of preparing the dal remains same without any major changes except for the fact that I have added on fresh turmeric roots which are in season now along with fresh ginger root. Ginger is an ingredient added while preparing Dalitoy by many amchies from North Kanara side while usually South Kanara District Konkanies do not add them. However, a little bit of addition of the same gives awesome taste to the Dal and at times for a change, it is more than welcome in my home too. I have even come across some Mumbai settled amchies who add on one or two crushed garlic to the dal while cooking also. One of my Aunt who settled decades back in Mumbai adds the same to the Dalitoy and I was sort of surprised when I had been for lunch to her home. I will be posting the same very soon, so do keep a keen watch on my Blog for delicious dishes and please do try them and give me a feedback if possible. I will not go into the health benefits of fresh turmeric roots and ginger as I am sure all of you know about it very well or you can check out the same in net. I have written what I know in a few dishes posted a few days back too. In all I will just add here that both the turmeric roots and ginger roots have immense health benefits having anti-inflammatory properties, so make best use of them in your daily cooking for healthier dishes. I am sharing the link to the original traditional Dalitoy recipe at the bottom of this recipe and will not repeat the same all over here again as there are no changes whatsoever. Do go though the link for the same and I have included below in short how I have prepared this Dalitoy. 


** Here is the recipe for preparing "Dalitoy with Tarne Haldi Mande ani Alle'/ Spiced Tuvar Dal with Fresh Turmeric and Ginger Root" … My style …

** The recipe for this Dalitoy too remains the same as that of the Dalitoy link shared below without any changes whatsoever. Just add in half inch of grated fresh turmeric root and half inch of grated ginger root to the dalitoy when you add in the chillies, salt to taste and bring it to boil. Keep stirring often to avoid the grated roots sticking to the bottom as is its tendency at times. Once it comes to a full boil, lower the heat and simmer again taking care to see that it does not stick to bottom. This Dalitoy gets a darker shade of yellow tinge due to the addition of fresh turmeric root which has a really strong color base, so do not add in turmeric powder while seasoning. Just season it as mentioned in the recipe leaving out the powder and it is done. The recipe is given in detail to which I have shared the link below, if you still have any doubts or query you can always mail me or leave a comment and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Inconvenience if any for not repeating recipe is regretted, as I felt that there is no point in repeating what I have already written out previously. Always remember to serve Dalitoy steaming hot on rice for tasty results. Do try out this variation and enjoy the same with your family and friends. 

** For the traditional method of preparing “Dalitoy/ Spiced Tuvar Dal”, Please follow the link given below … 

** The are many more “Dal” Recipes in my Blog, do go through the common link shared below and try out that which you would like to relish with your family and friends … 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.