Saturday, January 18, 2020

Tomato-Onion Omelette-2.


"Tomato-Onion Omelette-2" served with Homemade Ginger Garlic Curry Leaves Spiced Chutney Powder and Tomato Ketchup (store bought) ... Delicious-tummy filling dosa prepared with leftover spiced Urad dal- Rava Batter to which I added Besan (Bengal Gram Flour) Batter ... this dosa does not need any chutney as such, at least in my home and I usually serve it with chutney podi and ketchup ... Very tasty snack that will be liked by all for sure ... Yummilicious .... 

** Ahhhaaa the joy of getting some time to oneself without having to worry about what to cook for tomorrow is something I am sure each one of us looks forward to always. Being busy through the day somehow, I really get tired to grind the batter on daily basis for a good breakfast the next day. I always run late early mornings as by the time I get up and finish off with few exercises which is a must prescribed to me on getting up, I am much more later than I intended to be and it is always a chaos then in kitchen with me running out of patience, after all I need to finish my chores before my maid help comes otherwise it is that much more messier. Time management is something we must learn to avoid these mishaps but then the unpredictable always happens with me, so that is also not very useful. Lately with too much of activities, I somehow hardly find time to cook new dishes which is really a disappointment to me, but then that is life, you can’t always have it the way we want. Life is all about taking things as they come, even when you have chalked out a plan.

** But tummy full food once a day is something of a rule in my home while we can easily forgo the others if we run short of time or are busy elsewhere. The important meal with priority is lunch, so I make it a point to keep that proper while the others are all adjustment in the recent few months. But, breakfast is something again the first meal of the day that has to be nutritious and I believe in having home cooked ones. Throwing aside the false notions or at least let’s say feasibly not possible options I have now learned from a few of my close friends to store food and use the same instead of eating outside breads, toasts or farsans. Trust me your own home cooked or prepared and stored batter is much safer and healthier than those biscuits you trust so much that are sold in the name of nutrients. Even the so called cornflakes, muesli etc. that are dunked in milk and eaten are not at all good considered the fact that God alone knows when they were prepared and when they were really packed. Specially so with wafers, I have heard a lot of unpleasant stories on its making.

** The last month has really been sort of awakening call for me and my friends on many topics which includes nutrition, spiritualism, detachments in life, meditation, importance of exercises etc. There have been so many topics covered on life management that it amazes me as to why I never thought of these before. We even had a dietitian who blew off certain myths on food that was sort of a heavy blow to us. The chakuli we thought was not good for health as it was deep fried was in reality not so bad compared to those packaged food we consumed falling in trap with advertisement, without giving a second thought about realities. The pickle we thought was bad as there was too much salt was really good when you just ate just a pinch of it and again, though sugar is not good, jaggery was considered healthy as it contained iron specially so when you came home baked in sunlight. Well, I have learned quite a lot and I am sure will learn more too, the desire to relish delicious food will always be there, but I think it is high time we trust and follow what our ancestors did for a healthy lifestyle. 

** So, for today it is "Tomato-Onion Omelette" prepared with left over batter of “Udidu ani Rulava Polo/ Urad Dal- Rava Dosa" which I had prepared for breakfast yesterday. In reality you cannot call it leftover batter coz. I had actually prepared the same for 2 days consumption, my new technique on having Dosa/Idly for breakfast. I had about approximately 4 cups of the batter to which I added some besan/gram flour and prepared dosas topping it with finely chopped onions and tomatoes. Tomato Omelettes are usually prepared with besan batter, somehow I have never prepared it that way, though I intend to try it out too as Mom always prepared it this way with leftover urad batter. The dosa turns soft and fluffy within because of the urad dal unlike slightly flatter when prepared with just besan. Also the rava in the batter gives you a crisp bottom on the omelette which turns perfect to flip over as there is the added weight of tomatoes and onions that needs to be taken care off too. Do try out this simple and easy two in one sort of a dosa, that will definately be liked by all in your home. 

** In all a very easy and delicious dosa that really does not need any chutney or other side accompaniment or you can serve it just with some tomato ketchup or some chutney podi if need be and its just yummy and great breakfast to begin the day with. Again, you can add on the finely chopped onions and tomatoes into the batter and mix well too and remove the dosa, but I have always found the topping method easier, better and that which looks and cooks better too. Also when you flip over and give it a good press with the roti wooden handle you get that charred crisp look and taste that is which the best part of these omelettes. I love to pick and eat those crisp brown onions on top that is really tastiest part of the dosa. Do try out this dosa and if you cannot prepare the same early mornings for any reason you can always prepare the same for tiffin in the evenings when children come home hungry or during holidays when you want to relish something in the evenings when friends drop in for a chat and have a lovely time as winters always makes one hungry. 


** Here is my simple recipe for "Tomato-Onion Omelette" … My Style .. 

** You will need about 3-4 cups full of “Udidu ani Rulava Polo/ Urad Dal- Rava Dosa" batter for which I am posting the link at the bottom of this recipe. Out of this this batter you will get about 5-6 medium sized tomato-onion omelettes. 

** To Prepare the Batter : Sieve one cup of besan/Bengal gram flour (I used store bought) and add to the batter along with one cup of water, ½ tsp of haldi/turmeric powder, ½ tsp of hing/asafoetida powder and beat the batter well taking care to see that you get a thick batter without any lumps. Add in salt to taste keeping in mind that the batter already has been salted, you just need to add in a little bit, that’s it. 

** Cover with a lid and keep this aside for about 15-20 minutes. This is an important step that should be followed as it will allow the mixed besan to get soaked in properly to be softened. Once done, open and check out the batter after giving it a good mix all over. The batter consistency should be slightly thicker than that of a regular dosa batter. However, if you find it too thick you can add in a little bit more water, beat the batter well and it is ready to prepare into dosa. 

** For the Dosa Topping : Wash, wipe dry and finely chop two large sized tomatoes discarding the inner seeds. Peel of the skin of 2 large sized onions and cut them also into fine slices of 2 inch length. Pick, clean, wash and finely chop about ½ a cup of fresh coriander leaves. Wipe dry and finely chop about 2-3 green chillies (Optional). Prepare all the ingredients and keep them ready separately on a plate before you start preparing the dosas. 

** Note : You can either use oil or ghee for preparing the dosa. You can also use oil+ghee in 1:1 proportion mixed well for preparing of the dosas. My mother always followed this method of oil+ghee and I do the same too as I have found out that the final result and taste of the dosa is simply awesome when prepared in this manner. However, it is individual choice and you may follow any method suitable to you or give a try as how I prepare. 

** Heat a Dosa pan to smoking point, lower the heat, add a teaspoon of oil+ghee and spread well with spatula or spread it evenly with tissue paper with a light press. Do not press too hard, as the tava is hot, your hands may get burnt, and you may remove all the applied oil in the pan. I use this method of spreading with tissue to ensure there is no excess oil, as well as there is a thin layer/ film of oil on the Iron Tava which is what I use regularly for removing dosas. You can use non-stick pans too, I do use them at times and this time I have used non-stick. 

** Now add about a cup full of batter with a rounded spatula in the center of the tava and spread evenly into a round circle of about 8 inch diameter. Use light motion, do not press the spatula too much lest the dosa will tear. Keep the dosa thicker and do not spread thinly as it should take the weight of the tomatoes and onions when topped. You can check out on the attached picture collage for guidance on preparation of the dosa. 

** Now top the dosa with the prepared and kept aside onions and tomatoes spreading them evenly along with some finely chopped coriander leaves and a few pieces of finely chopped green chillies (optional). Press down the toppings gently with the dosa spatula so that they get slightly dunked into the dosa batter. This is done so that they get attached to the dosa and do not drop out on flipping the dosa, this step is necessary for a proper set toppings. 

** Increase the heat to medium, add a tsp of oil all round the edges of the dosa and let cook uncovered till evenly browned on the bottom side. Sprinkle some oil on top of the dosa and toppings then with the help of the flat dosa spatula, gently loosen the dosa all round the rim of the dosa and then gently flip it over gently on one go to cook the top portion too. 

** Once again either with spatula or chapatti wooden presser press the dosa on tava gently, so that the toppings get touched to the pan properly. When you do this you will get a good evenly roasted toppings on the dosa which is very delicious to taste, in case you do not want the charred look or taste you can skip out this step too, but I suggest you do give it a try once and taste before you decide the same. 

** The dosa will hardly take a minute or two to cook the top side as it is already cooked from within. Once again flip the dosa on upper side and check out that the top is done and then remove it onto a serving plate. Be careful when you carry out the entire procedure so that you do not break the dosa or let the topping fall off. If done as mentioned and shown on picture your will not go wrong. Repeat the procedure and remove the required number of dosas. 


** "Tomato-Onion Omelette" is done and ready to be served. Serve them hot with any chutney of your choice. In my home we relish it as it is as it is spiced and really does not need any chutney as such, but I do served some tomato ketchup or homemade chutney podi as accompaniment to the same. Off course the choice is completely yours and if you have not spiced it much in case you have young children at home you can always serve it with chutney to make it that much more tastier. 

** This is a easy two in one sort of dosa that can be prepared simple on the first day and with additional ingredients next day. This not only cuts down our work but is also tasty and will not be unwelcome by members of the family. With changing times we need to plan ahead and also save some time for ourselves as we are all working people and do need to take plenty of rest in between hectic lifestyle. Do try this dosa out and enjoy with your family and friends. You can also prepare the batter and add on besan etc. and prepare it freshly too, as is your wish. 

** I am sharing the link to the "Udidu ani Rulava Polo/ Urad Dal- Rava Dosa" batter below, which is what I had prepared slightly in excess so that I can prepare the “Tomato-Onion Omelette" today. Do check out through the link for the recipe. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.