Friday, February 12, 2021

Strawberry- Carrot (Gajar) Raita (Curd Salad)

 

"Strawberry- Carrot (Gajar) Raita (Curd Salad)" ... prepared this raita/ sald with curds on a hunch to carry to office in place of mid morning juice and I must admit it was really too good ... but I must mention here that ... hat's off to all those creative minds who do Deco to present dishes ... This really took a lot of time for arranging neatly and I was famished when finished ... aaiyyamma jalle jagratena kartana ... Yummilicious ...

** Raita’s are Indian reference/ name to salad with addition of curds and that which is very common in India, almost every Indian prepares them often in their homes. Served usually with spiced rice dishes or parathas in the northern parts while in southern parts they are served just little bit along with thali meals or lunchtime. Initially raitas were prepared on with certain veggies, atleast that is what I grew up observing or relishing. The most common raita to date is with addition of onions, tomatoes and cucumber with green chillies for spice and coriander leaves as garnish. Then came the preparation with others like carrots etc. when in season while Beetroot too followed suit often.

** Among fruit to the best of my knowledge it was pineapple riata that took birth first and then a few fruits got followed much later in the years. While pineapple is still the leading one in case of fruits, many do prefer addition of others too. Nowadays people are very innovative and creat their own fusion, which turn out excellent in taste only to be reprimed by nutritionist at time claiming certain combinations are not meant to be. Well, I am not one which I have repeatedly mentioned and I go about just by inclination or when something pops up in my mind, I may be right with it or not as per them, but they have all tasted good and definitely I was fit and fine the following days too.

** Strawberry season is coming to an end while carrots are in season and both are something we love at home. Hubby is fine with just grated- spiced carrots too as he loves relishing anything raw veggies A few years back the trend of mixing fruits and veggies started be it for raita, plain salad, certain sasam or for the very famous smoothies and I was intriguid with it and tried out a few. The best combo I found was in carrots and beets and onions I found did not go too well with fruits or maybe in my home we did not like it. It is my routine to always carry lemon juice or any fruit juice for mid morning to office, today lemons were over and I was not in a mood to have carrot juice.

** I had lots of strawberries at home, still have and was wondering what to do with them and finally thought of preparing juice. As I went on to chop them, just an idea popped in my mind and that’s it the birth of strawberry carrot raita too place. Once I was convinced there is no looking back and within a matter of 20 minutes it was done and ready. Now came the part of clicking which somehow did not turnout convincing. I then went about cutting strawberries and carrots again for deco, this time slicing them and trust me it took more time than that of preparing the raita. Sigh, this is one art I would not like to venture into as I simply do not have the time for it, so sorry gals, its not in me.

** Here is my simple recipe for preparing "Strawberry- Carrot (Gajar) Raita (Curd Salad)" which is delicious, easy and can be relished as it is too …

** Wash, wipe dry, snip off the crown of stem of about 2 dozen strawberries and cut them into medium sized pieces. If you need to deco like the above then slice a few lengthwise and keep them aside ready.

** Wash, wipe dry and peel off the outer skin of two medium sized carrots and grate them on a large sieved grater. One again, If you need to deco, then slice a few into roundels and keep them aside ready.

** Beat one cup of thick homemade curds smooth in a wide bowl. Now add in grated carrots, strawberries pieces, 5-6 green chillies cut into pieces, 2 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves salt to taste and mix well.

** Note : I have not added sugar as strawberries do have a little bit of sweetness in them, but if desired you can add in a tablesppon of sugar and mix well too. Children will surely love the raita if it turns out a little sweeter.

** "Strawberry- Carrot (Gajar) Raita (Curd Salad)" is done and ready to be served. I have kept it simple without addition of any other extra spices, you may do so if desired. This one tastes best served as it is to be relished mid morning during weekends when you are at home and you have loads of work to catch up on and there is time gap between bf and lunch. It is healthier than other snacks for that in between hunger pangs and fills the stomach in satisfaction too, try it, I am sure you and your family will love it.

** There are many more healthy salad/ raita in the blog, please browse through them using the label option or search option with key words and do try them out and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** For all those of you who would like to try out the method of preparing “Perfect Homemade Curds (Dahi)” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.