Wednesday, September 16, 2020

My Fish Meal Thali~ 224.


"My Fish Meal Thali~ 224 : Bhenda Upkari (Lady's Finger Bhaji/ Stir Fry), Fryums (store bought), Raja Panna Upkari (Mackerel Fish Spicy Curry), Ukde SheetHa (Red Boiled Rice)" ... Fish Curry- Rice Plate has nostalgic memories of my Aanu and me relishing it together for years in small eateries of Mangaluru ... when I worked for my Dad in his office for 4 yrs before marriage and we could not go home for lunch we often went out for food and it costed around Rs.15/- per plate and the fish was of our choice which they kept it whole be it bangda, manji, kane or pedvo and we often chose bangda ... he loved fish curry, so this one is for you Dad, I have prepared it the same way and I just wish I could parcel it to heaven, but I know you are watching ...... 

** Mackerels/ Raja/ Bangude is my hubby’s favorite fish and panna upkari a spicy curry from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine is what he always demands for. Over years the spice content as been reduced considering the advancing age. My father too loved fish curry very much and he too always asked mom to prepare this dish. I guess most amchi guys love this curry as for me I prefer prawns or kane (lady fish) but then I don’t mind having mackerels too. As mentioned in my previous fish post where in I have posted a gashi dish prepared with small sized pamplets/ pomfret/ manji fish curry- rice plate has always brought in fond memories of the outings with my dad which I treasure and is dear to me. 

** From childhood to my teenage years I have always preferred surmai fry/ visonu tallele with simple dal- chawal and normally ate gravy based fish curries like pickle. Be it veg or non-veg gravy dishes I never ate it with rice as I always found them spicy and for my sake mom always prepared Dal with which I quietly ate my lunch. Fish curries or any spicy curries were always eaten like pickle by me, so it was my visits to these eateries that broke that habit of mine and I owe it my Aanu (Dad) for teaching me to eat rice with fish curries. I still love fish fries compared to curries and always see to it that I buy some fish for preparing fries but with the present situation we have to do with whatever is available to us. 

** So for today it was Raja Panna Upkari on hubby’s demand as he missed it very much over these months but yet he never cribbed about it. But when my friend started selling fish as part time business to cover up loses they were facing due to Covid, I heaved a sigh of relief as I knew I would not only have access to fish now, but they would be good too. I went about cleaning the fish and was about to cut it into pieces when memories came gushing into my mind. I remembered those days I went to those eateries with dad to eat them wherein they kept them whole, so though why not?? why not keep it whole today the way I relished with dad years back, it would really be great to go back into golden olden days.

** I always feel that one should always relive pleasant memories of the past from time to time which definitely will bring in a smile to your face. My Dad was a simple business man and a big foodie from whom I guess I inherit the desire to give new dishes a try out, he always insisted that we learn new dishes and prepare them at home. We are not frequent eaters of non-veg food that is why you see these posts rarely, however I have included all the traditional Konkani Saraswat Cuisine fish dishes over the years and if you use the search option you will find them in detail. Do try out our style of fish curries and enjoy with your family, they are not only easy to prepare but healthy too. Stay Safe, Stay Blessed. 

** Given below are the links to the recipes of individual dishes in the picture above, please go through the link for that particular dish ..... 

** For “Bhenda Upkari (Lady’s Finger/ Okra Bhaji)” Recipe, Please follow the link given before ….. 

** As I have already posted the preparation method of the fish curry “Raja Panna Upkari (Mackerel Fish Spicy Curry)” before; I will be sharing a link to the same below through which you can access to the recipe. The only difference here is that I have used a medium sized mackerel fish whole as served to us those days in restaurant while the older recipe has sliced pieces of large sized mackerel, rest of the recipe remains same. 

** For “Red Boiled Rice/Tambde Ukde Tandla sheetha/Urpel Ari /LaL Mota Chawal” … Cooking of Red Boiled Rice using Pressure Cooker. My easy way out. Cooking red boiled rice / ukde sheetha is considered laborious and time consuming, but I use a faster method and get perfectly cooked rice using pressure cooker. Anybody can follow this simple method, cook and enjoy hot red ukada boiled rice with a spicy Veg / Non. Veg Curry …. Please follow the link given below for the method of cooking .....  

** Note : If for any reason you do not want to cook Boiled Rice, you can try out the normal rice prepared using Surthi Kollam or Wada Kollam rice by the following method too, which is normally the method of cooking in almost every Konkani Saraswat Home … 

** For the Recipe of "Cooking Rice Starch Free/Vanu ghalnu SheetHa", where the Rice is cooked and the water is drained off to remove excess starch, Please follow the link given below …. 

** You can use the search option for "Thali" or “Combo Meals” where you will get many more combination of thali’s and combo meals. Do try out various types of mix and match dishes to relish with your family and friends. Also remember to me a feedback if possible. 

** You can also click on the links given below for checking the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.