Friday, September 4, 2020

“Red Bean-Egg Cashew masala”.


“Red Bean-Egg Cashew masala” ... the pandemic crisis had made me stock up on pulses more than necessary, which I usually do not and now I need to empty them before they get spoilt … but then I also wanted to prepare an egg curry after all those sweet dishes, just on a forethought wondered why not prepare them together … turned out really awesome with cashew masala added on … Yummilicious ... 

** There are times when though you love traditional food, after eating them for months on line and being deprived of some food that we love to have, it takes toll on both the body and mind and the heart craves for it that much more. Though I would have loved to relish fish items I am still refraining from them as they are not available in my vicinity within safe means and I would not like to take the risk. Also the heavy rains and the festive season added on to more reasons of staying away from it. Now that the rains are slowly moving away from Mumbai, maybe things will improved in another few weeks or who knows maybe also in a day or two, till then I will have to do with Eggs which actually I never tire of preparing in different variations. Eggs are good for overall health and safe to be consumed in cooked form say thrice a week, which I make it a point to include as per the advice of my Doctors. 

** I have a lot of stock of pulses as in my area due to the crisis that cropped up crippling the whole world nothing was available in the first month and as we are only the two of us, I had not stocked up much on anything, as I never do so now. Gone are the days when I had lots of people coming over with love and warmth and I loved feeding all with whatever I enthusiastically cooked. Also as we are on the threshold of being senior citizens I did not want to take the risk of going out often, so when my friendly grocery shop assured me he would send me whatever I needed, I did not want to take chance and stocked up on the same. Now the shops have all almost opened, though the risk still hangs on our heads, but then the stock has to be also emptied as it is almost 3 months now, so decided to make some variations and try out new methods by adding them together and here it is, a delicious egg- bean curry. 

** Here is my simple recipe for “Red Bean-Egg Cashew masala” … my very own concoction of addition of bean and eggs together with a equally delicious cashew masala … 

** Soak one cup of red bean/rajma (light colored)/ tambade bee in water for 8 hours or overnight. Drain water, wash well, put it in a pressure cooker along with water say an inch above the level of bean and pressure cook on medium heat to 2-3 whistle/ till done. Remove and keep it aside and when the pressure falls open the lid and keep it aside ready. You can use the cooked water either to grind the masala or to be added later on to the curry. 

** Hard Boil 4-6 eggs (motto/ andey), shell them, make slight insertion marks on surface and keep them ready. Now in a thick bottomed kadai heat ½ tsp of oil, when hot add in pinch of haldi (turmeric) powder and pinch of kashmiri red chilly powder (mirchi/ mirsange pitti) and toss the eggs for just a few seconds, remove and keep it aside ready to be added on later to the curry. The tossing above method is optional and you can leave it out if not desired.

** For the method of perfect hard boiled eggs, if need be check out on the link shared at the bottom of this recipe. 

** Soak half a cup of cashew nuts in one cup of warm milk (doodh) for 30 minutes. I have used whole cashew nuts (kajjubi/ kaju) here, but you can use broken ones too, I did not have them in stock otherwise I always use the small pieces for grinding or to make masala powders. 


** For the Masala to be Ground : In a mixer grinder add in one cup of freshly grated coconut (soyi/nariyal), soaked cashew nuts in milk along with the milk, 1 tsp of goda masala or garam masala, 1 tblsp of coriander (dhania/ kothambir) powder, ½ tsp cumin (jeera) powder, ½ tsp badisep (sauf) powder, 2 tblsp of kashmiri red chilly powder (mirchi/ mirsange pitti), small marble sized ball of tamarind (chinchama/ imly) and grind to a very fine paste. Remove and keep this aside ready. 

** In a thick bottomed kadai add in 1 tblsp of ghee (toop) and 2 tblsp of oil (tel), when hot add in finely chopped one large sized onion (piyav/ kanda) and fry till slightly browned. Now add in ½ tsp of ginger (alle'/ adrak) paste and 1 tsp of garlic (losun) paste and continue frying till evenly browned. Finally add in a few fresh curry leaves (kadipatta/ Karbevu) ¼ tsp haldi (turmeric powder) and ½ tsp of Kashmiri red chilly powder (mirchi/ mirsange pitti) and sauté for just one minute. 

** Add in the ground masala another tablespoon of oil and continue to fry well on low heat till you get a good aroma and the rawness of the masala goes. Add in the pressure cooked rajma along with the cooked water (not more than 2 cups), salt (namak/ meeta) to taste and mix well. Add more water if necessary only and bring to a boil on medium heat. Now add in the sauteed boiled eggs mix well and continue simmering for 7-10 minutes on low heat. 

** Do not stir the curry too much or the beans may turn out mashed. Finally add in a small lemon sized fresh homemade butter (loni) and handful of finely chopped coriander leaves (dhania/ kothambari pallo). Remove from fire and keep it aside covered for minimum 20 minutes for the flavours to get infused and then the curry is ready. Check seasoning and add if necessary, also check out the gravy consistency and add in hot water and mix well if necessary only before serving. 

** “Red Bean-Egg Cashew masala” is done and ready to be served. This dish tastes best with ghee rice or simple vegetable pulav though you can relish it with roti/ chapatti/ naan/ parathas/ dosa/ panpolo too. I had managed to buy some kori rotti last week so had some with it and a little bit with rice as I am facing hectic schedule and could not prepare ghee rice or pulav, which I am sure would have tasted wonderful with, so go for it and enjoy with family and friends and do remember to drop in a comment or mail me a feedback too. 

** For “Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs” method, please follow the link given below …. 

** "Eggs/ Motto/ Andey" are good for health as they are full of protiens and nutrients and are a complete meal in themselves, so do make it a point to include them into your diet at least twice a week to reap in health benefits. There are plenty of Egg dishes in my Blog and many more will be included so you can just click on the link below and access to them all whenever you are free, you can drop in your query or requests on recipes too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.