Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Fresh Coconut Egg Masala Curry served with Ghee Rice.


"Sunday Treat : Fresh Coconut Egg Masala Curry served with Ghee Rice" ... finally my most favorite meal today ... prepared my very own spicy egg masala curry with addition of lots of fresh coconut gratings while cooking and a twist of malvani masala powder ... turned out simply scrumptious and was simply bliss with ghee rice ... no wonder I had a good one hour of ZZzzz ... Yummilicious or should I say Eggilicious ... 

** It had been quite some time since I prepared my favorite combo of Egg Curry with ghee rice, the most sought after in my home. We love this combo of either ghee rice with egg curry or chicken curry and today I decided to prepare the same as in a few days the month of Shravan Masa, the holy month for Hindus were in we try to avoid non-vegetarian dishes begins. Long back, maybe somewhere in the 1980 we followed the women’s era, famina, eve’s weekly etc. magazines very much for recipes as those days there was neither computer at home nor network facilities, forget bloggers, In fact I had cut off the pages and prepared three books bound of about 500 pages each. Unfortunately decade back I disposed it off as there were some personal health issues and I never ever though in a few years I would go about starting my own Blog. Some regrets will live with you and I really miss those books very much, but those days I also had this habit of reading them often, as I liked browsing through the colorful pages, sometimes in awe at those perfect dishes. 

** My habit of reading books also has been sadly drastically cut down in the last 5 years again due to spondylitis and I really miss it very much and I am all ready to give it another shot once again, just finding the right comfortable position to go about reading, my first love which I takes me completely to another world. Coming to recipes what I read sometimes come back in memories and I strongly remembered reading a recipe that included addition both of coconut ground masala as well as freshly grated coconut to the curry. I have been giving it a deeper thought for over a month now, off course at nights, as that is the time my mind goes about working. I think I did mention before too that I always sleep with a book and pen kept in the bedside table near me as I need to jot them out before I forget them in the mornings. I am sure this happens to most of us and it is nothing new, as we age we forget what was said a few minutes or hours back while we clearly remember what was said years back, funny, Isn’t it ?? Now before I bore you with my life stories, I think I should move on to the recipe. 

** Here is my very own recipe of “Fresh Coconut Egg Masala Curry” … My Style, Do try it out, tastes awesome served with Ghee Rice … 

** Grind one cup Coconut (Soyi/ Nariyal) with 2-3 tblsp of Malvani Masala powder, 1 tbsp of Goda Masala, one small marble sized Tamarind (Chinchama/ Imly), handful of Cashew Nuts (Kajjubi/ Kaju) and grind to a very fine paste with little bit of water. 

** Grind to a fine paste one large sized Onion (Piyavu/ kanda), 5-6 cloves of Garlic (Losun), 1 inch Ginger (Alle'/ Adrak) and keep it aside ready. 

** Hard boil, 6 Eggs (Motto/ Andey) shell and keep it aside ready. I am sure you know the method of Perfect hard Boiling of Eggs, If not I am sharing a link at the bottom of the recipe and you can check that out too.

** Finely chop one Onion (Piyavu/ kanda), to fine pieces along with 4-5 cloves of Garlic (Losun) and keep it aside ready. 

** Prepare 1 cup of Coconut milk (Narla Rosu/ Nariyal Ka Doodh) and keep it also ready aside.  I am sure you know the method of preparing of coconut milk, If not I am sharing a link at the bottom of the recipe and you can check that out too. I have used thick milk only, though you can add both. 

** Grate one cup of freshly grated only white part of the Coconut (Soyi/ Nariyal) and keep it aside ready.

** Method of Preparing the Curry : 


** Heat 2 tblsp of Ghee/ Toop and 2 tblsp of Oil/ Tel in a thick bottomed kadai. When hot, lower the heat and add in the finely chopped onion and garlic and fry till light brown in color. 

** Now add in the ground onion- garlic- ginger paste and continue frying till the rawness of the paste goes. Then add in the ground coconut- masala- paste and continue to fry on low heat well, till the oil slightly leaves the sides, if need be add in some ghee or oil as per your judgment. 

** Now add in the freshly grated coconut kept aside and mix well and continue to fry for another 3-4 minutes. Add Salt (Namak/ Meeta) to taste  and mix well, check the seasoning and spice level and if needed you can add in more now. 

** Once the masala has been fried well, add in the boiled eggs and the coconut milk and mix well, till well blended. Add more water only if necessary, this curry tastes best when served in thicker consistency. 

** Lower the heat and cook covered on very low heat stirring in between a few times till well done. Do not increase the heat while cooking the dish after addition of coconut milk or else it will curdle, so be careful. 

** Remove from heat and add in a small lemon sized ball of Butter (Loni) or 1-2 tblsp of fresh beaten milk cream and a handful of Coriander leaves (Dhania/ Kottambari Pallo) and cover and keep it aside for 25-30 minutes for the curry to get settled well. 


** “Fresh Coconut Egg Masala Curry” is done and ready to be served. Serve the curry hot with any accompaniment of your choice like ghee rice, roti, paratha, kori roti, pav, bread etc. In my home we love to have egg curry with ghee rice as it is not only a delicious combo but tummy filling too, however, you can choose to serve it with any dish of your choice keeping in mind your family preferences. 

** Note : Addtion of butter or fresh beaten milk cream is exclusively individual choice and you may leave it out if you want to cut down on calories or for any other health issues. I have added butter as it not only gives a unique taste to non-veg curries but is loved in my home. 

** Note : I have used Malvani Masala powder and Goda Masala easily available in stores, you can use any brand available to you in your locality. As I have used these particular masala powders, I cannot suggest any other option of masala powders that can be used here in substitution as I have not yet tried it out. The aroma and the taste here is the combo of all these ingredients I have assembled and put together and prepared the same. 

** I have already posted the recipe of “Ghee Rice” before, so I have not included the recipe in detail in this particular post. I am sure all of you know this simple recipe but in case you would like to check out on the same I am sharing a link to the recipe below, you can just browse through the same if required. 

** There are many more “Egg Curry” Recipes in the blog shared before, you may check out on the same too, they are all tasty and tested in my kitchen … 

** For the “Method of Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs”, Please follow the link given below … 
https://gayathrifoodbytes.blogspot.com/2015/05/perfect-hard-boiled-eggs.html#more

** For the “Method of Preparing Coconut Milk” Please follow the link given below …
https://gayathrifoodbytes.blogspot.com/2019/03/fresh-homemade-narlache-rosucoconut-milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.