Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Air-Fried Karathe Podi/ Karela Bajia/ Bitter Gourd Fries.


"Air-Fried Karathe Podi/ Karela Bajia/ Bitter Gourd Fries" ... a guilt free snack prepared with little bit of oil which otherwise is usually deep fried … can be served as an accompaniment for lunch/ dinner … Yummilicious … 

** I had a query on Air Fryer and frankly I am not that well know all about it as except for potato fries I have hardly used it. The machine has been sitting in my kitchen for a good 2.5 years but when it entered my kitchen I had to go eye surgeries and that put me off for over 3 months away from extensive activities, then it was hubby's turn, then my shoulder pain starts and then my knees. No, I am not complaining or cribbing it is just that one thing led to another and I could not actually give fair trials. Finally we have now ended up with this Covid 19 Virus looming largely on our heads and are home bound with loads of work to attend to. But then eating good food is something I have learnt about in the last decade due to lot of health issues. Trust, me food and activity plays an important role in keeping you fit not to forget a positive attitude and load of faith in God. So, now I have decided to give it due importance and today I tried karathe/ bitter gourd fries in air fryer for the first time. 

** Unlike our traditional cooking were a keen watch on cooking over heat/ flame plays the most important role with Air Fries, my conclusion is you need to understand the air fryer mechanism and its way of functioning to get perfect fries. It's sort of trial and error and I have a lot to catch up on, but I am learning, each veggie has to be dealt with understanding its composition of water content etc. Here there is no way you can watch it get cooked, unlike microwave or oven which has glass windows. Here you need to pull it out open to check out the same as it is time setter method, so you need time and understanding of the same. I have learned French fries with potatoes and will do so with other veggies as and when I am able to purchase them. One has to adapt to the taste be it with micro wave or with air fryer as they are not exactly the same as deep fried ones, but then when we switched over to tava fries too we were reluctant but finally we achieved that, so it is with air fryer. 

** Here is how I prepared "Air-Fried Karathe Podi/ Karela Bajia/ Bitter Gourd Fries" this time, I have actually kept it similar to deep fried method and the only change is using air fryer for frying … If you have the machine, do go in for it, with time we will improvise the same … 

** Wash the “Karathe’/ Karela/ Bitter Gourd” and wipe it dry with a thick cloth. Now cut it into two at the center. Cut them into slightly thinner than ¼ inch thick slices from center portions. I have used about 14 pieces in all for 2 people. 

** Note : I have used very thick bitter gourds that I bought fresh from village fields and they were simply awesome. For bajo/ podi/ fires I always cut them into thick slices from center portions only as they give you the right size for the same. The end portion say about 3-4 inches away from center I always store away and add it in preparation of curry dishes. 

** Note : You can apply salt all over and keep it aside for 10 minutes and then squeeze out the water too. This method is believed to remove the extensive bitterness from the bitter gourds. I do not follow this method at all with bitter gourds for any dishes as I strongly believe by doing so you are actually throwing away the medicinal properties from bitter gourds. 

** In a bowl add in 2-3 tblsp of gram flour (chane peetHa/ besan), 1 tsp of red chilly powder (mirsange pitti/ mirchi powder), pinch of turmeric powder (haldi pitti), 1 tsp of rice flour (tandla pitti/ tandul ka atta), ½ tsp of asafoetida powder (hing), 1 tsp of oil (tel), salt to taste (namak/ meetHa), 1 tsp of vinegar and mix well. You can sprinkle some water too, but retain the texture to powder form only, do not make it like batter. 

** Now add in the bitter gourd slices and toss well or you can apply them on both sides of each piece/ slice evenly coated. Now toss each slice over fine rava/ chiroti rava and keep them ready aside. Apply oil slightly with a brush on the gauge of the air fryer container and then place the prepared bitter gourd slices on a single row and then brush some oil on the top side of the slices too. You can check the picture of the bitter gourds in air fryer posted. 

** Now run the machine at 180 deg. C for 8-10 minutes. Then open flip over the slices and continue on same temperature for 5 minutes and then check and repeat till crisp and done giving intervals of 3 minutes each time. As the roasting capacity of each Air Fryer is different and also depends on the quantity of the veggies added in you need to judge them out by trial and error in your own machine. So just be careful and once to gross 12-15 minutes keep a watch and run the machine till done. 

** "Air-Fried Karathe Podi/ Karela Bajia/ Bitter Gourd Fries" is done and ready to be served. Best served hot as soon as done as if left for more time outside it somehow turns slightly softer and chewy. I may need to give more trials though this one turned perfect in texture and taste. If you have an air fryer do not put it away in some corner do put it to full use. I agree if you have larger family then it is time consuming, but air frying is definitely a healthier option those who love to munch on fries but need to keep a watch on oil consumption. 

** Sharing a common link for a few posts on “Air Fried and Micro Waved” dishes posted in the Blog before, do browse through and try them out and enjoy with your family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.