Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Sabudana Poha (Pova) Chiwda/Mixture/Chooda.


"Sabudana Poha (Pova) Chiwda/Mixture/Chivda/Chooda" ... I had bought this packet of sabudana poha a few months back but somehow could not get round to preparing it ... finally prepared spiced chooda today ... great time pass snack for winter with some steaming hot soup ... Yummilcious ... 

** I actually did not know that we get Sabudana Poha/Pova and was really surprised when I saw this packet that looked similar to cornflakes except for the snow white color. Many of you may be aware of it but trust me I was not. I might have seen it in stores over years but never actually gave it much of a thought or else I would definitely have loved to try it out much sooner as I always like to try my hand on new products. I had purchased it a few months back but on reaching home found to my dismay that there was nothing written on the packet that helped me understand the cooking procedure. well, I had bought it in great enthusiasm to prepare something out of it, but somehow could not get down to preparing anything with it.  I searched through google and could not find any recipe on it too. Well, I did know it was supposed to be deep fried, so thought I would just go ahead and prepare the chiwda the way I normally do with poha/beaten rice. 

** I kept the packet out just when my maid help entered home, she glanced at it and asked me if I was going to prepare sabudana poha chiwda and I was sort of taken aback. When I asked her she confirmed it was sabudana poha and that it was used in preparing chiwda which they often prepared. I must say, I was relieved but at the same time felt stupid that I had ignored it for years now and I am still wondering how? To cut short, I went ahead of preparing the mixture the same way that I prepare any chooda/chiwda/mixture and it tasted great. Well, happy that not only did I learnt something new but was happy that I had used it and not disposed it off. Do try it out if you have not yet used it or bought it, it turns out crunchy and tasty and is a great snack for in between hunger pangs especially during winter season when you feel hungry for no reason. There are many more recipes which you can try out for which I am sharing a common link at the bottom of this recipe. 

** By and large I always use Microwave method for roasting for the last 8 years as I have issues with neck and spine and too much of stirring of dishes too much triggers the pain. So my loyal friend in the kitchen are my gadgets, and I am happy that they are in existence as otherwise I could never have coped with all these cooking I do on daily basis. They are a boon to people like me who want to do so much, but have to hold back for health reasons. I roasted the putani (roasted gram) and ground nuts in the microwave and then seasoned them in kadai and the whole process was simply a breeze work. Just add in a tablespoon of freshly grated coconut to each serving plate and serve them whenever hunger hits your tummy. You can also add on some finely chopped onions along with coconut and mix it with the mixture and serve to guests when they come home unannounced. Isn’t that great, now you can relax and enjoy your weekends without worrying about snacks for emergencies. 


** Here is my simple method of preparing "Sabudana Poha (Pova) Chiwda/ Chivda/ Mixture/ Chooda" … my Style …… 

** Roasting the Putani/Roasted Gram : Add in about half a cup of putani/roasted gram in a glassware microwave dish and microwave it on high till crisp. It hardly takes a 3-4 minutes, do keep checking often or else you may burn it or over roast the same. If not using MW, just roast it on a thick bottomed kadai on low heat for about 5-8 minutes and it is done. Remove and keep this ready aside. 

** Roasting of Groundnuts/Peanuts/Kadlo/Shengdana : Add half a cup of peanuts in the same glassware microwave dish and microwave it on high till done. This will take slightly more time than the above two, say maximum about 6-8 minutes. Again you can prepare the same of a thick bottomed kadai, if you do not want to use MW. It will take slightly more time. Keep this also ready aside. 

** Deep Frying of Sabudana Poha/Pova : Heat plenty of oil in a thick bottomed kadai, to smoking point, then lower the heat to medium and wait for a few minutes, say about 3-4 minutes. Add in one or two sabudana poha pieces into the oil, if it burns out wait for a few minutes, but if it puff up well immediately without changing in color it means that the oil heat is perfect for deep frying the poha. Remember to keep the same temperature constant till you finish off frying all of the sabudana poha. 

** I have used about 200-250 gms of Sabudana Poha/Pova for this recipe. Add in a handful of sabudana poha pieces at a time into the oil and fry for a few minutes, that’s it, it will get puffed up crisp (check the attached picture in collage). when done remove it with a large ringed spatula in one go, straining off all the excess oil back into the kadai and put it in a plate lined with absorbent paper and continue with the remaining sabudana poha pieces till all are deep fried and done. 

** Note : I have always used the ringed spatula method for frying off most of the savories prepared in my kitchen as I am comfortable with this method as I had learned to prepare it in this way from day one. You can check out the picture attached in the picture collage posted. But many of my friends follow the the deep frying method by using a sieve in which the same is added and lowered into hot oil too. You can follow any method that suits you or you are comfortable with. 


** Deep Frying Method Using a Sieve : You can even use a stainless steel sieve type strainer for deep frying of poha as many people do while preparing chiwda/chooda. When using the strainer method, add the poha in the sieve itself which does have a long handle. The strainer portion is then gently dipped into the hot oil, while seeing to it that all the poha remains within the strainer and get puffed up in oil in the strainer itself. Then remove the strainer letting all the oil get drained in kadai and put it on the plate lined with absorbent paper and then continue the procedure till all are deep fried and done. 

** Preparing the Tempering/Seasoning for “Sabudana Poha (Pova) Chiwda/ Chivda/ Mixture/ Chooda" : Heat about 3 tblsp of oil (you can use any oil) in a kadai, when hot add in 1 tsp of mustard seeds (sasam / rai), when it begins to splutter, lower the heat to minimum and add in 5-6 spicy green chillies cut into ½ inch pieces and fry for a minute, then add 10-15 fresh curry leaves, 1 tsp of hing powder and fry for a few seconds. Now add in the roasted putani and groundnuts and fry all together for another few seconds, finally add 1 tsp of red chilly powder and mix well. Remove and add this to the fried Sabudana Poha/Pova. Add salt to taste and 1 tblsp of sugar powder and mix well. 

**  Do not apply pressure while mixing of the deep fried crisp poha as if done so, it will break up into pieces. Just gently toss all the ingredients together with a flat spatula to get a evenly spiced and mixed chooda/ chiwda/mixture. Allow the mixture to get cooled down to room temperature. When cooled, put it in an airtight container and store in a cool dark place away from sunlight. This chooda remains good for about 3 weeks and can be relished as and when needed. Do remember to tighten the lid of the dabba/box after each use or there are chances of the mixture going limp and loosing taste.


** "Sabudana Poha (Pova) Chiwda/Chivda/Mixture/Chooda" is done and ready to be served. You can serve it as it is as a snack or you can add in some freshly grated coconut to each serving in plates, mix well and serve the same. You can also add in some finely chopped onions, which tastes great too. This one comes in handy if prepared and stored when guests drop in unannounced or whenever you feel hunger pangs. Children are always feeling hungry and want to munch up on something, this is a healthier option even if it is deep fried compared to the ready instant food that has flooded the market now which contains chemicals. Do try it & enjoy with your family & friends. 

** Note : You can add in any nuts like almonds, cashew nuts, raisins etc. too, to the mixture. You can also cut thin slices of three inches of dry coconut/kopra and fry them in oil in seasoning and then add on to the chiwda too, I have not added it as we do not like it very much. 

** I am enclosing a common link to the posted in the blog, do go through the link and check them out, some of them have step by step pictures too that will help you in learning the exact procedure …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.