Monday, June 1, 2020

Shunti- Tike Sali- Ellaichi Chai (Dried Ginger- Cinnamon- Cardamom Tea)


"Shunti- Tike Sali- Ellaichi Chai (Dried Ginger- Cinnamon- Cardamom Tea)" ... one cup of steaming hot tea in the mornings is my lifeline ... trying different concoctions to kill boredom and add zing to life .... Yummilicious ….. 

** Strong Tea/ Kadak Chai is my lifeline … Just one cup of steaming hot tea, in the morning is what I need the most and it keeps me somehow going through the day. To some it may seem a phobia or habit but for me it has been something that has given me relief for years now. I have written how I came about drinking this beverage and how it became a part of my daily need in my posts before so will not repeat it again. In short it was my throat infection decades back that made me reach out to this hot beverage and in which I found solace. After that till date I have to have my tea, just one cup in mornings, even if I am travelling I try to carry at least a sachet of the same so that all I will need is hot water, though it is not the same in taste, it is definitely better than forgoing my tea altogether. Even when If I stay elsewhere which is almost never, I make it a point to make my tea myself as everybody in my family feels I make the best tea and coffee though I am not a coffee drinker myself. 

** Coming to Tea, I have always relied on Ginger Tea/ Adraki Chai as it is very healthy and good for throat and I have always found it gives me lot of relief. A few times I did try the Masala Chai with the readily available masala powders from stores, but was not impressed much with it, found it rather too strong with garam masala, after which I never bothered much with it. I did add on cardamoms at times, but by and large it was ginger tea for me. Present lock down condition has made us go crazy in many ways, in my area it is total closure of groceries and veggies not to mention other movements. Well, added to the agony my fridge too has partially broken down, so I need to be careful with ingredient storage. Ginger was out of stock and I somehow managed my tea without the same and there was even a time when I could not fetch milk and had to do with milk powder for the first time in my life. I will write about the making of that tea/ chai another time as it has somehow got delayed. 

** Coming to this particular tea/ chai, I did remember that I had dried ginger/ shunti powder and thought of trying it out as fresh one was out of stock. After searching through net, I came across many different types of teas which has woken my interest to try out some of my own concoction which I admit needs a bit of research too, so I am now trying them out in new ways or should say experimenting with them and serving them to hubby and watching him keenly to see his reaction as he sips on the tea. So today I tried on this variation by adding just a little bit of these ingredients while preparing my tea and It did taste good, though I have still got to adapt to the garam masala taste of cinnamon. But hubby loved it, felt great and enjoyed his tea or rather complained that I should have added a little bit more of the same. Well, I think a little bit goes a long way and that is how a tea should be brewed with just a hint of the taste without overdoing the flavors. Stay Safe and do take necessary precautions if you need to be out, God Bless All. 


** Here is my simple method of preparing "Shunti- Tike Sali- Ellaichi Chai (Dried Ginger- Cinnamon- Cardamom Tea" …. My Style 

** Addition of skimmed milk and water in equal parts is my way of making a strong and good chai, the Mumbai style, well that is my ratio but you can make your own variations in addition of the quantity of milk. 

** Add in 1 cup of skimmed milk and 1 cup of water in a thick bottomed stainless steel water and bring it to boil with addition of 3 tblsp of good strong tea leaves on medium heat. Keep checking on the heat so that the milk does not boil over from vessel. 

** Note : You can use any brand available in the stores, there are plenty available to choose from, but personally I have stuck to Society Tea brand available in India, as I found it best and to my satisfaction. It does give you a good strong lovely colored Tea/ Chai. 

** Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat, add in a large pinch of Shunti (Dried Ginger) powder, a small pinch of Tike Sali (Cinnamon) powder and a large pinch of Ellaichi Cardamom) powder. Let the tea simmer for a good 5 minutes, stir once or twice in between. 

** Note: I have used Shunti (dried Ginger) powder and Ellaichi (Cardamom) powder as I had them at home, while I used cinnamon stick/ bark of 1/2 inch as the powder though I always do have it at home was out of stock. You can use all three in powder form or as it is too. 

** The tea will have turned strong flavored and darkened in color by now, remove and strain it through a fine stainless steel sieve into serving mugs or cups. Add in sugar to taste, mix well and serve steaming hot immediately. 

** "Shunti- Tike Sali- Ellaichi Chai (Dried Ginger- Cinnamon- Cardamom Tea" is done and ready to served. Tea/ Chai should always be served steaming hot be it for breakfast or at any other time of the day. Tea/ Chai that has run cold is not at all appealing and looses it's taste. During winter/monsoon a steaming hot tea is a delight to sip on with some crunchy snacks. 

** Enjoy this Tea/ Chai steaming hot with your family for breakfast or tiffin and reap in the health benefits. It is believed that ginger, cardamom are good in case of cough and cold and cinnamon is believed to be good for controlling of blood pressure. Well, I am not a Doctor, so will not assure of the same, but definitely there is not harm in trying out and if it feels good. 

** Again, Tea/ Chai and Coffee is a beverage that is enjoyed in almost every home all round the world. South Indians are more partial toward coffee while in the northern parts they love tea more. I myself though a south Indian/ Konkani Saraswat GSB, prefer Chai/Tea to coffee and I prepare them in various combos. 

** It never actually struck me to post tea/ coffee posting, as I always felt it was something common. Recently, I noticed that it was very much needed, so in given time I will definitely post all types of hot beverages I prepare in my home. You can also use the search option for tea/chai, coffee, kashaya etc. and you will find that I have already posted a few of them before. 

** I am also sharing below a common link to a few recipes of “Tea/ Chai” posted in my blog before, you can try them out too … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.