Tuesday, June 9, 2020

21~Mango Rava Sweet Appos/ Paniyarams.


"21~Mango Rava Sweet Appos/ Paniyarams" ... I felt even Gampapa was bored with daily just Aapus Ambo (Alphonso Mango) as Naivedyam ... today being Sankashti Chaturthi prepared sweet appos using mango pulp and it turned out very spongy and delicious ... Stay Safe, Stay Blessed ... 

** Appo are a very delicious dish prepared both in sweet and spiced form or for that matter I have even prepared them with eggs. But when mentioned appo instantly what comes to mind is Ganesh Chaturthi festival, as this dish is a must for Naivedyam in Konkani Saraswat homes and almost every household is filled with its aroma on the auspicious day. I have mentioned many times about all traditions and also posted my own mix and match variations of this delicious dish. I have tried them out adding different flavors using seasonal fruits and they have all turned out awesome to date. Usually this is the season when we get ripe jackfruit and I always make it a point to prepare the same during Sankashti Chaturthi but this year due to the crisis the world is facing almost nothing is available in my vicinitya and I need to travel out for the same which I am reluctant too. As luck would have it I had received 2 dozen of Alphonso mangoes from a friend and I prepared today's appos using them, which I had really wanted to try out for a long time now. They turned out soft, spongy and delicious, I hope Gampapa loved these as I had prepared them as Naivedyam. Sharing a common link to all the Appos posted in my blog before, you browse through and try out that which appeals to you. Do try them all out in leisure as and when the season of fruits approach. Stay Safe. 

** Here is my simple recipe for "Mango Rava Sweet Appos/ Paniyarams" … My Style … 

** Wash, wipe dry and peel off the skin of one large sized Alphonso Mango/ Aapus Ambo. Remove the edible flesh portion and put it in a mixer grinder, discard the inner seed. Add in 1 cup of sugar, ½ cup of freshly grated coconut and grind to a smooth paste. Do not add in any water while grinding. 

** Note : You can add grated jaggery while grinding too, I added sugar to retain the color, as addition of jaggery turns the appos slightly darker, blackish tinged and I wanted nice golden yellow color, you may choose either of the two. 


** Add the ground paste into a wide stainless steel bowl. To this add about ½ tsp of cardamom powder, ½ tsp of cooking soda, pinch of salt and mix well. If too thick add about ¼ or slightly less water and mix well. 

** Add about 2 cups of rava, 1 tblsp of wheat flour to the mixture and mix well. Leave aside for 15-20 minutes, for the rava to get soaked in. This step is necessary and should not be avoided as the rava needs time to soak in or else the appos will turn hard and brittle. 

** Once again mix the batter very well. Add water if necessary to bring to thick pouring consistency. Be careful while adding water, the batter should not be runny. The batter should be thick but of dropping/ pouring consistency.

** Heat a Appe pan (the one with dents, you can check out through the link given below there are step procedures where the tava picture is also visible), when hot lower the heat to medium, add a little bit of ghee in each of the dents and pour a large tablespoon of the batter into each mold/ dent depending upon the size of the dent. If small use less batter, it should just about cover the dents and not come above the same. 

** Cover the tava with a dome lid and let cook on low-medium heat till the bottom side of the appo gets cooked and is evenly browned. Remove the cover, check to see if the top side of the appo is cooked, if done, gently loosen the appos with a blunt knife and then flip over and cook the other side on open with covering for another few minutes. Remove and keep it aside and continue with the remaining batter till done. 


** "Mango Rava Sweet Appos/ Paniyarams" is done and ready to be offered to God as Naivedyam and thereby distributed amongst family members and friends. Always remember to share prasadam with as many people as possible, it is believed the blessings are that many time received in multiples too. And we all need our share of blessing from God for sure. Do try out these as Mangoes are available now and enjoy them with your family, children are sure to love these. And yes, you can serve this as it is with hot melted ghee or honey if desired. 

** I am sharing a common link to all “Appo” dishes posted in my Blog, please do browse through in liesure and try them out and enjoy with your family and friends, if you have any query you can mail the same to me ….. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 27 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.