Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Pesarattu Dosa/ Sprouted Moong Dosa.


"Pesarattu Dosa/ Sprouted Moong Dosa" served with Coconut Chutney and Ginger Tea (Adraki Chai) ... A simple to prepare delicious dosa, I used sprouted whole moong (mung) bean/ green gram for added protein benefits ... tastes awesome when topped with some finely chopped onions and coriander leaves ... Yummilicious …. 

** Everybody knows that Dosa's are a favourite bf dish with South Indians specially Konkani Sarawat’s. I grew up eating either dosa or idly for bf while poori was prepared on Sundays or twice a month only and I have a huge bank of dosa recipes that have still not been blogged. Added to my list are the new ones that I forever see cropping up in the net. Recent technology gives us access to network round the world and every day, no, I mean every hour there is something new put out there that catches up on our imagination or interest. Over the year my fascination for cooking new dishes has risen so much that I am always on the lookout for new recipes. Pesarattu Dosa is a very old dosa, which I used to prepare in the initial years of my marriage, somehow over the years it took a back seat and I stuck to bhakri type dishes using sprouts. But seeing frequent posts of this dosa always made me want to prepare the same and relish again. So today when I found that there was green moong sprouts in my fridge I decided to try it out for bf. This time I also added some coriander leaves while grinding for a change, let’s say much healthier dosa. Very easy to prepare and healthy too. Do try this out and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** Here is My Own Simple and Easy Recipe for "Pesarattu Dosa/ Sprouted Moong Dosa" … My Style ....... 

** Ingredients : 
Green Gram Sprouts / Kirailele Moogu (Moong/Mung) : 2 cups. 
Raw Rice : ¼ cup 
Coriander / Dhania / Kothimbir Leaves : one handful finely chopped leaves only. 
Green Chilly / Tarni Mirsang / Hirvi Mirchi : 5-6 cut into pieces. 
Ginger / Alley’ / Adrak : 1 inch pieces cut into small pieces. 
Salt to Taste 

** For Topping : 
Onion / Piyavu / Kanda : 1 finely chopped. 
Coriander / Dhania / Kothimbir Leaves : ½ cup finely chopped leaves only. 

** Oil + Ghee for frying of dosa. 


** Wash and soak the rice for 2 hours. If in hurry you can also use rice flour in place of rice. The dosa turns out well with it too. Drain off excess water and keep it ready aside. 

** In a mixer grinder add in the green gram sprouts, drained rice, coriander leaves, ginger, green chillies and grind to a very fine paste with half to one cup of water. Remove into a bowl, add salt to taste and mix well. The batter is ready for preparing the dosas. 

** Note : For the method of sprouting, please check the link provided at the bottom of this recipe. 

** In a plate keep ready the finely chopped onion and coriander leaves ready for topping the dosa before you start with preparing the dosas. 

** In a small bowl mix some ghee and oil in equal proportion and keep ready. This can be used for preparing the dosa. You can also use just oil or ghee while preparing dosas, but this was how my Mother, my Grandmother used to remove dosa's with and I have followed. It gives really well made dosas. You can however make do with your own method if any. 

** To Prepare Dosa : Heat a Dosa pan to smoking point, lower the heat to minimum, add a teaspoon of oil and spread well with brush or evenly with tissue paper with a light press. Do not press too hard, as the tava is hot, your hands may be burnt, and you may remove all the applied oil in the pan. I use this method of spreading with tissue to ensure there is no excess oil, as well as there is a thin layer / film of oil on the Tava. 

** Now, add in about a cupful (approx) of batter with a rounded spatula in the center of the tava and spread evenly into a round circle of about 10-12 inch diameter, just like how you prepare any dosa. Use light motion, do not press the spatula too much lest the dosa will tear. Now garnish the dosa on top side with finely chopped onion and coriander leaves. With the help of a dosa spatula press them down a little bit so that they stick to the dosa. 

** Sprinkle some ghee+oil on sides and top of the dosa. Let the dosa cook for a few minutes after which increase the heat to medium and cook uncovered till crispy and evenly browned on the bottom side. The top side will have been already cooked, so do not flip over the dosa, as the dosa is thin in texture, and cooked one side only. Now with the help of the flat dosa spatula, gently loosen the dosa all round the rim of the dosa and then remove it from the tava and serve it hot immediately. Repeat the process and remove the required amount of dosa's. 


** Pesarattu Dosa/ Sprouted Moong Dosa" is done and ready to be served. Always serve dosa’s hot from tava, as they taste best when served crisp and hot directly from tava. Serve the dosa with any chutney of your choice and enjoy with your family and friends. Children love to eat crisp dosa and this is sure to be a hit with them. However, if they are too young, just make sure you do not make the dosa too spicy. I served the dosa for bf with coconut chutney and ginger tea and it was simply fantastic. 

** There are many varieties of “Dosa” posted in my Blog and I am sharing a common link for the same below, you can browse through and try out that which appeals to you and serve with any chutney or sambar of your etc. 

** There are many varieties of “Chutney” posted in my Blog and I am sharing a common link for the same below, you can browse through and try out that which appeals to you and serve with dosa, idly etc. Also sharing the link to the “Coconut Chutney” below …. 

** I am sure all of you know how to prepare a good “Strong Ginger Tea/Kadak Adraki Chai”, But if not, you can always go through th link given below …

** For the method of “Sprouting” the grams you can check out the link given below …. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.