Thursday, August 15, 2019

Kawala (Agathi Keerai)-Ambadi (Gongura) Coconut Chutney.


“Kawala-Ambadi Leaves Coconut Chutney (Agathi Keerai-Gongura Leaves Coconut Chutney)” … A healthy delicious chutney prepared with medicinal value leaves available during monsoon that tastes great with Idly, dosa, chapati, bread etc. ... Do try to include them into your diet if available, they are a storehouse of nutrients and are highly beneficial for health .... Yummilicious .... 

** Kawala as known is Marathi is known as Agathi Keerai in southern parts of India is a leafy veggie available only during the monsoon which has medicinal properties and is supposed to be very good for health. There are many more regional names to these leaves which I am not much aware off. I am posting a picture of the bunch of the leaves for proper understanding of the same. Though I have seen it often during monsoon with my veggie vendor I never attempted to buy it or try any dish with it. Due to heavy rains, I was waiting beside a veggie vendor for the rains to slow down when I just happened to glance at the veggie, well being inquisitive and also being talkative by nature, you see I had to while the time away as I waited for rains, I queried and the friendly vendor told me how it was consumed by them on the following day of Ekadashi ie on the Dwadashi by those who had observed fast. She also mentioned it was prepared as simple bhaji with onion garlic spices and addition of any veggie which was optional. Well, now I was all ears when she said, it was supposed to be eaten during monsoon to ward of cold, cough etc. 

** I bought one bunch from her and came home. On querying with my friends in my food group “Konkani Delicacies”, my ever helpful friends gave loads or tips, uses and cooking methods. Well the next day being “Sutta Punnav/Thread exchanging day” for us from Konkani Community, I had many items to be prepared, one of them being Khotto/Idly which needed some sort of chutney. So I squared in on preparation of chutney. I had also purchase Ambadi/Gongura Leaves so I prepared this awesome chutney with the addition of both leaves and it was awesome to taste along with the Idlies. Sharing this lovely chutney recipe below. I only hope I am able to get them more this monsoon season as I have a few recipes in mind to prepare using the same. Well let’s hope for the best, till then let us enjoy this chutney with Idly for the time being. You can also relish it with chapati/roti/dosa or bread too, tastes great and yummy. I have also added a handful of coriander leaves while grinding the chutney. You can either add the same or leave it out. In case of non availability of gongura leaves you can replace the same with tamarind while grinding. 

** It is surprising but true that God takes care of everything, it is we human beings who in our ignorance shun things and do not make utmost use of nature products. All these things grow seasonal to benefit mankind in the utmost pleasant manner. These leaves are available during monsoon and are highly beneficial for cold, cough etc. which is really in rise during the season. It is natures way of providing Ayurveda medicine in form of food, that is supposed to be taken in some form to stay fit. Over the years, concretion has brought in a deadly stop of all such veggies as there is actually no place for them to grow. Many of us have shifted to cities where these things are unheard off and we rely on fast food for fast life. Yes, it is true, we want everything in a jiffy and all we hear is No time for anything. Off course we do have the time to while away watching dumb TV shows or chatting up on phone or browsing through net but sadly we have forgotten to take care of ourselves with changing times. If these leaves are available in your vicinity, do try them out in different form of cooking which I will be adding on soon, as and when available to me and reap in the health benefits, it still not too late. 


** Here is my simple method of preparing “Kawala- Ambadi Leaves Coconut Chutney (Agathi Keerai- Gongura Leaves Coconut Chutney)” … My own way … 

** Pick only the leaves portion of Kawala/Agathi Keerai and Ambadi/Gangura leaves, wash them and chop them fine. I have used about one cup of the chopped kawala leaves and 2 cups of ambadi leaves. I did not want to add tamarind and as ambadi leaves are tangy in taste I increased its quantity. 

** Also pick handful of coriander leaves, wash and chop them also fine. Wash and cut to pieces 6-8 green chillies and 2 inch piece of fresh tender ginger. Tender ginger is available during monsoon season and is very strong in taste and aroma. If not available you can use the ordinarily available ginger too. 

** Grate one cup of fresh coconut and put it in a mixer grinder along with the cleaned and chopped Kawala, ambadi and coriander leaves. Add in the ginger and green chilly pieces, salt to taste and grind to a very smooth paste with about half a cup of water. If only necessary add in more water. Transfer into a airtight box and store in fridge. Remains well for 2 days. 

“Kawala- Ambadi Leaves Coconut Chutney (Agathi Keerai- Gongura Leaves Coconut Chutney)” is done and ready to be served. You can serve it with chapati, roti or dosa. You can also apply it on toasted bread slices or use it as a sandwich spread. However, if you want to serve it with Idly/Khotto add a little bit of water and make it slightly thinner in texture or else it become too dry to relish. 

** Do try this healthy Kawala leaves chutney and reap in the health benefits for your family and yourself. See to it that you give them to your children whenever possible, by doing so you are seeing to it that they turn out to be fitter and healthy individuals. The children of today, more so the teenagers are very fussy eaters, so introduce these things when they are very young and make a good habit for life time. 

** Also, imparting knowledge with your family and friends is very important. Always give your children the knowledge of vegetables, pulses, fruits etc. by showing them the leaves, veggies and telling them its name, health benefits etc. Make it a point to teach them as just feeding them via food will not serve the purpose, we need to teach them so that they will teach their children and the same gets continued for coming generations. 

** I am sharing a common link below to all the “Chutney” dishes posted in my Blog before. Do go through the same and try them out and relish with your family and friends. Remember a family that dines together, enjoys food together, stays healthy and together forever. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.