Thursday, December 31, 2020

Eggy Bread (French Toast) and Ginger Tea.


“Eggy Bread and Ginger Tea” … eggs are full of proteins and nutrients and there are several combos in which it can be prepared … here is a simple to prepare, delicious tava fried bread slices soaked in egg mixture that turns it soft- spongy … also known as French toast, Bombay toast, German toast, gypsy toast, poor knights to name a few as per the country identities … a very tummy filling bf when served with some tomato ketchup and kadak adraki chai … Yummilicious … 

** Eggs are the most versatile of all ingredients and so user friendly that you can hardly go wrong with it. I have always loved preparing eggs for breakfast as they are easy, nutritious and tummy filling that keep me going till late in the noon as my lunch is always somehow a delayed affair. There is nothing new in this toast and is famously known as French toast more than Eggy Bread, but I like the word Eggy Bread so I thought of titling it with the same name. All egg lovers have surely made this one in their homes and each one has their own method, some add in milk to beaten eggs while some also top it with sprinkle onions etc. 

** The humble Eggy bread that was just bread slices dipped in a mixture of beaten eggs and milk with spices added on has now got face lifts. The variations include preparing with some stuffing, sandwich patterns or topping them with grated cheese, or adding on finely chopped onions, tomatoes, grated carrots, cabbage etc. sort of a variation of omelette topped on bread slices. In my home, I make many variations but today I kept it simple. I realize I have not posted many bread toasts or sandwiches, as I forget to click and I always feel it is simple and what is the point in making a post of the same, but will do so henceforth. 

** Here is the  simple method of preparing “Eggy Bread” also known as French toast, Bombay toast, German toast, gypsy toast, poor knights … My Style … 

** Beat 2-3 medium sized eggs in a ceramic/ glass bowl until the yolks have mixed in well, but do not over beat it to form a foam, that’s not necessary. Add in 2 tblsp of milk, pinch of salt and mix well. Keep this ready before you start to fry the bread slices. 

** You may add in any other spices you wish to add to the egg mixture too, that is entirely upto you. Heat a large sized non-stick/ iron tava to smoking point and then lower the heat to medium and wait for a few minutes before you start the process. 

** Note : There are 2 ways of continuing with toasting of the bread slices. The normal method used worldwide is to dunk the bread slices in prepared egg mixture and then tava fry them. I do not prepare it that way as a lot of egg mixture gets consumed in it which I would prefer to avoid. Also there is this deep within soaked in egg mixture which at times remains kaccha, slightly softer with strong taste of egg liquid which is not liked much in my home. My simple method is given below … 

** Apply ghee on one side of the bread slices and place them on the hot tava, keeping the ghee applied slice below touching the tava. Now with a large sized spoon carefully spread a thick layer of the prepared egg mixture on the top side of the bread slices evenly to form a layer and then sprinkle some pepper powder over it and let cook for a few minutes. 

** Once the bottom side of the bread slice is browned, sprinkle a few drops on the top egg mixture applied surface of bread slices and then flip it over to cook the same. Do not raise the heat as then the egg mixture that has been little bit absorbed by the slices within will not get cooked properly. Once done, flip it over again and then place it on a serving plate. 

** Repeat the procedure with remaining slices of bread till the prepared egg mixture has been used up. I would like to mention here that with 3 beaten eggs with 2 tblsp of milk I prepared 7 slices of large sized bread following the above method, however if you follow the soaking method of bread slices in the mixture you may end with maximum 4 slices of the same. 

** Soaking method does taste great too, a method which if followed 2 decades back but then stopped it as it meant using almost an egg for each slice of bread and too much of eggs is definitely not recommended as they are high in cholesterol levels. After which I have always followed this method and enjoyed the same without any guilt whatsoever. 

** You may follow any method as is your family preference, if you want to soak, just pour mixture in a wide ½ inch deep plate, place the bread slice in it and press it down a little bit with a spoon, then flip it over and once again press it with spoon. The bread slices soak in mixture soon, so do not leave it to get soaked. Remove and fry as mentioned above. 

** “Eggy Bread” also known as French toast, Bombay toast, German toast, gypsy toast, poor knights is done and ready to be served. Tastes best served hot from tava with some tomato ketchup and a glass of juice, tea, coffee or any beverage for breakfast. A very tummy filling bf. that will keep you going through the day without hunger pangs. 

** Children are always fussy and you need to keep juggling with new dishes to keep them engrossed and happy to eat without cribbing. I will share many more options to lure them into eating as I have been receiving requests on that field which is actually new to me too, but since I too enjoy these food very much, I will definitely give it a try to include more. 

** If you love Eggs like me or you want to give your child a healthy nutritious snack, try this one, I used brown bread slices that are easily available in the stores now and have a thicker consistency too. When you buy bread do check out that the slices are thicker and not the thinner variety as they soak up too much of the egg mixture, again your choice. 

** I am sharing a common link below to all “Egg” varieties shared in my Blog before, do browse through the same and you will get plenty of choices, I do recommend the egg appo/ paniyarams another favorite of children that tastes really awesome. I will soon follow up on healthier bakes too with addition of eggs, so keep a keen watch on my Blog for more … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.