Saturday, December 5, 2020

Jackfruit Leaves lined bowl for steamed dishes.


“Jackfruit Leaves lined bowl” that can be used and re-used to prepare steamed dishes … I have prepared two dishes “Ramdana (Idly), Cabbage-Onion Sanna Idly/ Khotto/ Muddo” reusing the same immediately back to back cutting down on labor work as you can see in the pictures collage … 

** I believe “where there is a will there there is a way” and during these tough times when we are all loaded with excess work and pressed for time these simple solutions run a long way in solving issues faced often … again this method also solves the problem of those who have access to leaves but either do not have the time or knowledge of pinning it up, but would love to use it … I am sure many follow this, but thought it would be lovely to share for the sake of those who don’t …you can also line up the same on paper cups or tumblers too, which I posted earlier in the blog too, but then in that method the leaves become difficult to be reused … this one is easy, wonderful and hygienic too … we do have a lot to learn from our ancestors who had all the tricks up their sleeves … 

** This can be reused for steaming different or the same dish almost 4-5 times if done taking proper precautions … Many a times though we do have access to the leaves for many a reasons like either lack of time, shortage of leaves, or if the body is too tired and you don’t feel upto preparing the khottos which does take some time this is the fastest, simplest and easiest method to follow. Just make a fitting base lining the bowl in which you usually prepare ramdan/ tatte Idly, checking out the size by laying the leaves as shown in picture. Pin up a few that is on the base so as to hold it in place so that the base does not shift. 

** The ones on the sides need not be pinned up as they will stay and take shape once the batter has been poured into the same. After steaming remove and let cool before you loosen the ramdan/ dily with a blunt knife and flip it over, otherwise the leaves may tear up. If done cautiously they remain intact and you can either pour in the remaining batter or the sanna khotto mixture and prepare the same again by steaming as before but immediately. Do not try storing and reusing it, that is definitely not adviceable as the cooked dishes left over in corners may form fungus and become inedible, so be careful. 



** I prepared two rounds of ramdana/ idly and then one round of sanna khotto/ muddo in this and they came out fine as you can see in the pictures. I have been following these methods for years now. I had already posted the ones with lining of jackfruit leaves in paper cups, tall tumblers, steel glasses etc. about 6-7 yrs back in food groups and that had become an hit at that time specially the ones using paper cups. I still do it, but recently follow this one more often as many a times I always find myself facing shortage of jackfruit leaves as I need to get them from out of town as I have nowhere near my place where I can find them. 

** It just occurred to me to make a post of this one when my friend cribbed about having leaves that were not even sized and they were too small to be prepared into khottos as it would only waste her time. I suggested this and she literally jumped with joy and asked me for the link so that she could share it with her niece and that is when I felt I had posted it in one of the Idly/ muddo dishes, but never written anything in detail assuming that everybody knew of it and it would be not something that would hold interest to anybody. But I was wrong, I guess from now on I need to blog on many more such topics that of which I know off. 

** I do really hope this post has been useful to at least some of you out there and please do not worry if you do not have access to jackfruit leaves you can use any large sized leaves that are safe and can also be used. Fruit bearing trees of which the fruits are considered to be safe for consumption means their leaves are also safe. Just keep in mind to clean them well and see to it that they are thick in texture. So don’t just sigh!! Looking at dishes prepared in jackfruit leaves anymore dishe, go ahead and pick out a few and Viola, you have steamed ramdan of your choice ready to be relished with your family and friends. 

** IMPORTANT NOTE : use only those leaves that are safe, please do not try out any that you do not know the source of as it may be poisonous. Jackfruit, Badam, Mango, Cinnamon etc. are safer options, but the best of all is jackfruit leaves as they fit in very well. 

** You can check out the same prepared in paper cups and glasses by checking out through the link given below … I will surely make more posts separately on similar topics, till then just browse through the links shared below …and if you have any query, please feel free to either mail or leave in a comment and I will try to get back as soon as possible …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.