Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Avanasache Godda Ravo/ Pineapple in Jaggery Syrup.


“Tikshe-Godshe- Amshe Avanasache Godda Ravo (Spicy- Sweet- Tangy Pineapple in Jaggery Syrup” served with panpolo/ neer dosa … tried my own concoction of addition of pineapple to godda ravo which we usually prepare to serve with panpolo and it turned out fantastic … 

** Another satisfaction of successfully preparing a delicious side dish to be served with my favorite panpolo that turned out scrumptious. The young boy who sells fruits right opposite my office brings in different fruits every second day and looks at me hopefully, so that I will buy it and I often do so, well if he does not see me he does not hesitate to come over and ask too. For the past few days he brings his push cart full of pineapple and they are tasty too. Well I bought a few and then the brain cracking session began. 

** After being done with juice, sheera, raita, pickle, veg- non.veg dishes, rice dishes and many more with addition of this delicious fruit, I now wanted something different. And then the usual thinking through late midnight to wee hours in the morning begins. I needed to crack my brains for more dishes for those tongue tickling taste buds. Without coming up with any idea I just drowsed off to my dreams. The next day lunch was already planned, as I had soaked rice to prepare panpolo to be served with vegetable Kurma. 

** As one ages the pattern of lunch, bf etc. change too, previously I used to prepare panpolo for bf just like how everybody does though if I prepare chicken curry I always prepared it for lunch. But with changing times, I have cut down even on heavy bf. recently and now my lunch is my whole and sole meal, so make it a point to have it to hubby and my satisfaction as that is the only meal of the day for us while others are just tit bits relished in limits. So, now panpolo is usually for lunch with some delicious curry for accompaniment. 

** Kurma was done and panpolo batter was also ground and kept aside ready. I was just slicing the pineapple thinking of preparing a simple sheera and juice which is always the easiest when the idea of preparing godda ravo using pineapple turned up in my mind. Just gave it a thought for a few minutes and though why not, and in a short time it was all done and ready and trust me it tasted simple awesome with panpolo. The addition of pineapple also makes it healthier as it's a healthy fruit and a great way to lure children to eat. 

** Cutting and Preparing the Pineapple/ Avnasa/ Ananas : 
** I have now begun to slice the pineapple myself, though we get it all cleaned and done when we buy from fruit vendors. I have no idea when I will get to use it so I prefer buying a few pineapples whole to avoid them being spoilt, also it also avoids a lot of wastage that happens when we get it done from vendor. Trust me it is easy, all you need is a very sharp knife that slices the outer skin as thinly as possible. 

** Here is the easiest method, which I follow, I slice of the outer spiky skin portion with a very sharp knife and then cut it horizontally into half. I cut it again vertically; slice off 1/2 an inch of the inner core part and 1/4 inch size of the outer fleshliest part to remove the eyes that are not edible as it is. Then I cut the fruity portion into pieces, which I use for preparing dishes. I do not discard the outermost cut ½ inch and inner core part cut and kept aside. 

** I again cut randomly the outer portion and inner core, put it in mixer along with some good fleshy pieces, add enough water and grind it to a very smooth paste, sieve it through a fine sieve and prepare juice out of the same. You can either use this thick juice in preparation of any dishes of your choice or add in some sugar and cold water or ice cubes and serve it as coolant. You can also put them in ice cube trays and freeze them for later use. 


** Here is my very own simple method of preparing “Tikshe-Godshe- Amshe Avanasache Godda Ravo (Spicy- Sweet- Tangy Pineapple in Jaggery” that I served with panpolo/ neer dosa though I am sure this will taste great with poori or parathas too … do try it out … 

** In all I have used about 3 cups of good fleshly edible pieces of pineapple for this recipe. 

** Add 3 cups of pineapple/ anvnasa/ ananas pieces cut into small bite sized pieces into a thick bottomed kadai/ pan along with about 3 tblsp of water and cook covered on medium to low heat stirring often till it softens, say about 5-8 minutes. Remove and keep it aside ready. 

** Note : Do not overcook the pieces, they should be just cooked and crunchy. So be careful and use your judgement while cooking as the timings may differ with pineapples used. 

** Coarsely crush about 2 cloves (lavang), inner seeds of 4 green cardamom (ellaichi/ yelu), 1 inch piece of cinnamon (tikesal/ dalchini) with a heavy weight and keep it ready aside. You can use a mixer grinder too, but do not make it into fine powder. 

** Add 2 cups of grated jaggery/ goda/ bella in a thick bottomed kadai/ pan with 1 tblsp of water and cook on low to medium heat till it melts and bubbles up well, stir well and do not thicken it further or it may harden out later and not taste good. 

** Immediately add in the cooked and kept aside pineapple pieces along with the water in which it was cooked if any and mix well. Cook all together for just another minute or two, stirring often and then remove from fire and keep it aside. 

** For Seasoning/ Tempering : In a small pan add in 1 tblsp of ghee/ toop, when it melts and is hot add in 1 tsp of jeera (cumin seeds), 1 tsp of white sesame (til/ teelu) and fry for just a few seconds. Immediately add in 1 tsp of dry ginger (shunti/ adrak) powder, 1 tsp of red chilly powder (mirsange pitti), the coarsely powdered and kept aside cardamom-lavang- tike saal and give a quick stir it. 

** Do not allow the tempering to get burnt, remove and immediately add it to the pineapple jaggery mixture and mix well. Add in a large pinch of kala namak (rock salt) or ordinary salt and mix well. Keep stirring well, till the whole preparation gets slightly cooled and does not get thickened. When completely cooled it is done and ready and can be served. 

** “Tikshe-Godshe- Amshe Avanasache Godda Ravo (Spicy- Sweet- Tangy Pineapple in Jaggery” is done and ready to be served. Godda ravo a preparation of melted jaggery to which a dash of cardamom is added is the most popular amongst Konkani Saraswat’s served with panpolo, however as it is sweet, it is not much preferred in my home, so I always prepare it with slightly added on spices and seasoning the way we like it in our home. 

** That version has also been posted in the blog before along with a few others, this one is in similar lines except for the addition of pineapple/ avanas pieces. The result was simply a delicious side dish that I served with my favorite panpolo/ neer dosa though I am sure this will taste great with poori or parathas too, maybe you can top it on bread slices too. 

** I have not tried relishing it with anything else other than panpolol as this was my first test trial and I was really not sure how it would turn out so had prepared it in small quantity. However, I will definitely do so again in larger quantity and enjoy to my hearts content with other dishes too and off course will share about it here. 

** Pineapples are available in plenty now and this is the best time to try out new dishes using them. I have many more thoughts of new dishes in my mind, which I need to give a few trials on to get the perfection. So till then do try this out and enjoy with your family and friends. Children who love sweet dishes very much are sure to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.