Thursday, April 30, 2020

Pikile Karate’-Piyava Kismuri (Ripe Bitter Gourd- Onion Salad).


“Pikile Karate’-Piyava Kismuri (Ripe Bitter Gourd- Onion Salad)” … this is a famous kismuri/ dry salad from our own Konkani Cuisine that's served as side dish with pejje jevan or dalitoy-rice … the same can be prepared even when the bitter gourd slightly ripens, so the next time do not chuck it out ... prepare this yummy kismuri and relish it as side dish … this one is also healthy as I did not deep fry it but microwaved the Karate’ pieces with just 1 tsp of oil … Yummilicious …. 

** Kismuri is a traditional Konkani Saraswat dish served as a side dish along with dalitoy- rice or with pejje jevan/ rice porridge lunch. I have mentioned before that there are two types of kismuri prepared one with masala while the other is in salad form. Today’s kismuri has already been posted before and this is the third in the series of karate’ kismuri ie bitter gourd dish. Here the bitter gourd is cut into small pieces and fried and used in addition with finely chopped onions and freshly grated coconut along with spices. In today’s dish the only difference is that the bitter gourd had turned slightly ripe ie yellowish in color and I did not want to discard it. 

** I have always been against wastage of food in any form, more so now when the world is under crisis and many are hungry over there without a morsel to it. We are doing our bit in helping but then by not wasting food you are actually helping in preserving of food too. Whenever I find that the bitter gourd will not retain its freshness I always cut it into pieces, microwave it with a little bit of oil and store it in air tight container and this can then be used in preparing kismuri within a period of one week, this time somehow two of the bitter gourds went unnoticed which was in the fridge and had also turned slightly yellowish in colour. 

** I did not have the heart to throw it away and decided to go ahead and fry it, at least give it try before deciding otherwise. I even used the inner red seeds in preparing another dish which also turned out great, which I will be posting soon too. So, my earnest request to all out there, plan well ahead the dishes you would like to try if you must, I don’t do so, as I go about with whatever ingredients I have at home, you may do so too. But whatever be your method, do not waste food, just think this way that what you consume is earned while what you discard is actually similar to wasting of money and also depriving someone else of having a meal. 


** The recipe remains the same for “Pikile Karate’-Piyava Kismuri (Ripe Bitter Gourd- Onion Salad)” except for the fact that I used here slightly ripe bitter gourd. I am sharing a few links below the first one of karathe kachri is the method I have used here. I have cut them into pieces, microwaved them and then mixed in red chilly powder and salt to the same and then prepared it into kismuri, by add in finely chopped onions and freshly grated coconut. That’s the link below ....

** The link below is to the traditional method of preparing karathe kismuri by deep frying the pieces, you can check out the same too if you do not want to use microwave method. 

** The link below is to the karathe kismuri prepared in similar method as the one I have shared today, except for the fact that here, I have used green chillies for spicing the same. 

** The link below is a common one to all the “Kismuri” dishes posted in the blog before both as salad type and with masala, you may try out those that your family would love to relish ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.