Friday, April 24, 2020

Sambapalli/ Doddapatre/ Ajwain Leaf.


"Sambar Balli is also known as Sambapalli/ Doddapatre/ Ajwain Leaf/ Karpooravalli/ Oregano/ Indian Borage/ Ova/ Vonvo/ Oam etc." to the best of my knowledge in different languages across the country in different regions … 

** Many of my friends in my food group Konkani Delicacies wanted clarification when I had posted saaru using this aromatic leaf, as I had written "vonve pallo" which must have lead to the confusion ... so thought of making a post on it for health benefit of all ... This is an aromatic leaf with immense health benefits and is definitely advice-able to be included into our dishes in some form, be it in chutney, tambuli, saaru etc.

** A little bit of the addition of leaf goes a long way ... sadly this is not available in markets unlike coriander, pudina, methi leaves etc. You need to grow it at home ... for those who have lovely garden in their homes, it is easy to plant it and for those of you who are wondering how to, here is a tip ... plant a twig of it in good manure/ soil in your window grill where you have at least 3 hours of sunlight and its done ... 


** The plant really grows fast and you can keep picking a few leaves as and when needed ... now for those who cannot have that facility too, (like me, you see I hardly get proper sunlight in my home) don't be disappointed ... there are other means by which you can grow and get the health benefits out of them too, and its simple. 

** Look at the second picture where I have kept it in a flask of water, that has been trimmed regularly but is 3 yrs old, was given to me by my friend Sumana Kini mai, just need to change water once in 5 to 6 days ... Isn't it a beauty? the only hitch when kept in water and near sunlight on window sill is that the leaves are comparatively smaller than when grown in pots ... 

** But then we have to compromise a little bit and I am sure we all will, again there is no need to fret all you need to add is 2 leaves in place of 1 and the problem is solved ... to all I suggest, catch hold of the plant from a friend or from plant nursery and reap in health benefits ... it's worth it ... specially so if you have young children at home, the juice obtained is good in case of cold and cough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.