Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Organic Red Rice (Navara/ Paddy Rice) Pejja/ Kanji/ Porridge.


"Pejje Jevana : Organic Red Rice (Navara/ Paddy Rice) Pejja/ Kanji/ Porridge topped with Toopa/ Ghee served with Mirsange Happolo (Red Chilly Papad), Tallele Takka Mirsanag (Fried Sun dried Chilly), Avalo Tarni Mirsanga Limbiya Nonche (Gooseberry Green Chilly Lemon Pickle) and Alsande Upkari (Yard Long Beans Bhaji)" ... Thanking all friends for suggestions on Red Rice given, my first try was Pejja, cooked in pressure cooker and we loved it ... here is my last night dinner ...Yummilicious .....

** Here is a delicious porridge / pejja prepared out of red organic rice that accidentally came into my home. I think the Grocery store keeper mistook to organic red rice when all I wanted was Red Boiled Rice. There is always a problem of commuting to whole sale market in Thane, and I am always in a hurry to buy my grocery and move on fast. In this hurry, the given rice was not checked and it was only on reaching home and opening the packet that I realized the rice given was not what I had asked for. My first thoughts were, Oh no, now I had to go all the way back to the store to return it the next day which is a pain as the area is always cramped with customers. Sigh, why does this always happen with me? I thought when hubby said casually, try it na, just cook a little bit and check, if it is good keep it if not I will exchange and bring it for you. Now that my burden of going back was off my shoulder, my enthusiasm was increased, but I had absolutely no idea what the rice was called too, forget about cooking methods. 

** It was then that my friends from my food group “Konkani Delicacies” that came to my rescue. I am so proud of all of them who instantly gave me enough information about this name, its name, cooking method and the dishes that I could prepare the same with. Now I was a bit relaxed, I decided to just use one cup of rice and check if we liked it, if not I would return it the next day. There was no point in storing it if we did not like it or if it was very time consuming. I took to google and researched a lot, but could not find much that took to my interest. But since my friends had assured that it could be used for preparation of porridge and dosa, so, I was not much worried. But, to be on safer side I decided to keep my first try simple and prepare rice porridge as I had learnt that in the state of Kerala, this rice was exclusively used for preparing of kanji/pejja itself. Well that’s it, I prepared the same for dinner and relished it with a veggie and papad, pickle to accompany the same, simply awesome. 


** Here is the simple method of preparing “Organic Red Rice (Navara/ Paddy Rice) Pejja/ Kanji/ Porridge” … My style which I found easiest … 

** To Prepare the Pejja / Porridge : Wash and soak about one cup of the rice in hot water for 2 hours. Strain and put the rice in pressure cooker pan with about 3-4 cups of water and pressure cook on medium heat to one whistle after which lower the heat to minimum and cook for about 15 minutes. Do not worry if there are a few whistles from the pressure pan, just keep cooking. Then keep it aside and allow the pressure to fall on its own, open and check the consistency of the rice, it should have softened, if not immediately check water content and add if need be and pressure cook on medium heat for another 2 whistles and it will be done. 

** “Steaming Hot Organic Red Rice (Navara/ Paddy Rice) Pejja/ Kanji/ Porridge / Pejjje Jevana” is done and ready to be served. Serve it always hot topped with Toopa/ Homemade Ghee and any side dishes like pickle or papads of your choice. I served it hot topped with homemade cow’s ghee, Mirsange Happolo (Red Chilly Papad), Tallele Takka Mirsanag (Fried Sun dried Chilly), Avalo Tarni Mirsanga Limbiya Nonche (Gooseberry Green Chilly Lemon Pickle) and Alsande Upkari (Yard Long Beans Bhaji). A delicious dinner in all, you can relish the same for breakfast or lunch too. 


** “Rice Porridge / Peja / Pejja / Konjee / Ganji” should always be served immediately steaming hot with a dash of salt and a teaspoon of homemade ghee. You can also serve it with lime pickle / kanchi or any other pickle, some fryums, kismuri, chips, wafers, podi, fish fry, pappads, vodi, happalu or just as it is with pickle. 

** Note : Please DO NOT hesitate to add GHEE, it is good for health. Latest health benefit analysis worldwide show that ghee is really good for health in limited intakes. This dish is very good for health so do not hesitate to introduce this into your diet at times. 

** You can serve the pejja/porridge with any pickle, papad, upkari of your choice. However, if you want the recipes for the pickle and upkari on the picture, I have shared the links to the same below, do try them out, they are awesome and go well with any rice dish. 

** The “Mirsange Happolo (Red Chilly Papad) and Tallele Takka Mirsanag (Fried Sun dried Chilly)” are store bought. I buy some from Mangalore Stores in Mumbai which lasts me for a few months. I just deep fried them and served. 

** For the “Avalo-Limbiyo-Alle’-Tarni Mirsange Nonche (kochla nonche) / Gooseberry-Lemon-Ginger-Green Chilly Pickle (chopped pieces) with a dash of Curry Leaves (Kadipatta/Karbev) Flavor - 2” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

** For the “Alsande (Chawli) Upkari (Yard Lond Beans Stir Fry)” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

** For more “Pejje Jevana” Options, Please follow the link provided below …. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.