Monday, July 8, 2019

Bread Buns / Mangalore Banana Buns with Bread.


"Bread Buns / Mangalore Banana Buns with Bread" ... Food wastage is simply NO-NO with me, I request all to either recycle it or give it away in time please ... those end slices of bread loaf are always leftover ... I have tried adding it to many dishes successfully ... Here is another one of my own concoction that turned out excellent ... I added them to buns dough and they turned out super spongy, the two large one's you see are rolled thinner and fried ... Yummilicious ... 

** The famous Mangalore Banana Buns are delicious spongy pooris that are prepared almost in every Konkani Saraswat's Home. Children simply love to munch on these fluffy buns and are always in demand. They remain good so can be carried on one day journey too. If you have ever wondered how to use up overripe bananas, then this is an awesome recipe sure to be a hit with all be youngsters, kids or older people, all alike. This is sort of an iconic delicacy from Mangalore City, my hometown and you get them almost in every hotel in and around the place. They are served with chutney or dailtoy for accompaniment, but in my maternal home it was served as it is all puffed up and spongy and the habit has continued over years and even now we relish them just like that. I prepare them medium sweet and spiced so it really does not need anything along with it to be served. 

** I have already posted the original method of preparing them and will be sharing the link at the bottom of this recipe, do go through the same if need be. Now coming to this “Bread Buns” this is my very own concoction of the traditional ones that I must say turned out fantastic. Wastage of food as I have mentioned several times before is something I detest unless it is really unavoidable. I urge all to, in the first place cook only that much how much is necessary. Food saved is food earned and throwing of food is not in our Indian culture. The next best thing if you are reluctant to eat the same dish is try and recycle the same which gives you the satisfaction of something different and lastly if you really find it more give it away to the needy in time, not after it has gone sour, this way you will be doing a very good deed too by which some one out there will not sleep hungry at night. 

** The two slices of the end sides of the bread loaf are always disliked by many, same is my case. I always try to make something out of them, either bread crumbs or add it to roti atta and consume it some way or the other. My friends always tease me saying I am being miser but that is not the case at all, I have my own ways of donating to “Annadanam” in many places and will continue to do so till God gives me the strength, but wasting is something different, I say and argue. Food thrown is an insult to "Siri. Annapurna the Goddess of food" and I believe that every morsel should be relished by a hungry person. I have noticed many a times that if just a few pieces of bread or so are given away, the needy does take it from us, only to throw it away the minute we turn our back, they all want a free ride without really working for it. So as much as possible I try to recycle them, cause it really gives me the satisfaction of food saving. 

** Here is my own method of preparing "Bread Buns / Mangalore Banana Buns with Bread" with leftover pieces of bread … My Style ….. 

** Ingredients :
Bread Slices : 3 (I used Brown Bread available in the stores) 
Maida/All purpose flour : As per requirement say 2-3 cups approximate. 
Overripe Bananas : 1medium sized (I used Cavendish available in Mumbai) 
Sour Curds / Dahi : ½ - ¾ Cup 
Sugar / Shakkar : 2 tbsp (Add another 2 tblsp if you like them sweet) 
Salt / Namak : ¼ tsp (remember the bread slices already have them too) 
Cumin Seeds / Jeera : 1 tblsp 
Pepper / Kali Miri : 1 tblsp coarsely crushed 
Cardamom Powder : ¼ tsp 
Oil : 1 tblsp 

** Refined Oil : for deep frying 


** Cut the bread slices into small pieces, put them in a mixer grinder and make them into fine crumbs. Do not add any water. Remove and add it into a wide large bowl. Now add in the curds, banana cut to pieces, salt, jeera, pepper powder, cardamom powder, oil and mix it all well together mashing in the banana well. Mix well till the sugar has mixed in too. 

** To this mixture now add in enough of Maida say about 2 cups and mix well to form a smooth elastic dough. If the dough is still sticky add in some more maida and knead well. The dough should be smooth, soft and elastic in its consistency. The amount of Maida to be added really depends upon the mixture prepared with curds and banana as the curds one adds in may have less/more content of water in it. So also the texture of the banana. 

** In order to avoid mishap, do NOT add in the Maida at one go, but keep adding on as you need the dough, so that you end up using only that much how much is needed. (I have used about 2.5 cups of Maida). Once you get a smooth dough that does not stick to your hands rub the dough all over with 1 tblsp of oil (any edible oil will do), cover with a lid and keep it away overnight or for about 8 hours. 

** Next morning, knead the dough well again and divide them into equal golf sized balls. Keep them ready. Now roll them out into thick poori / round disks after dusting them with some maida, taking care to see that they are thicker than the normal poori we make. At least ¼ inch in thickness. You can also oil the rolling pin and roll like I do without using the dusting formula. 

** Meanwhile heat a thick bottomed kadai with plenty of oil for deep frying. When the oil comes to smoking point, lower the heat to medium and wait for 4-5 minutes before you add in the pooris. Take care to see that the oil is not too hot or else the buns/poori will cook from outside but not from within, as they are thicker in texture. Now add in a rolled out poori and allow it to sizzle for few seconds before you press it with little pressure with a slotted ladle. This pressure applied helps the poori in fluffing up properly. 

** Once the buns have slightly browned on the bottom side, flip over and let the top side get cooked till golden brown. Then once again overturn the poori and allow it to be golden on the first side too. Remove with a slotted/ringed spatula on an absorbent paper for the excess oil to drain off. Continue with the remaining rolled out pooris in similar way. If the kadai used is large in size or if you are using flat bottomed frying pan you can add in 3-4 poories at a time for frying. But best done one at a time, as you need them to puff up. 

** "Bread Buns / Mangalore Banana Buns with Bread" is done and ready to be served. Serve them hot as it is or with Dalitoy or Chutney as per your family requirement. In my home we relish them as it is without any side accompaniments. Do try these out the next time you find leftover bread slices, they turn out very spongy and delicious and children are sure to love them, so will elderly people as both of them have a strong liking for such dishes. 

** Note : There is absolutely no need to add Cooking Soda while preparing the dough like we do for the traditional Buns, as the addition of bread slices does already contain yeast in it, and that is enough. I have certainly not added it. 

** Note : Addition of Sugar is upto individual taste. You can add or decrease as per your liking. If you have small children at home, do increase the same as they will love it slightly on the sweeter side. 

** Note : Always roll out the buns/poori 3-4 only at a time and deep fry them side by side later on. If you roll out in one go, the top surface of the rolled puri dries up and may not get puffed on properly. 

** Note: The size of the poori and the thickness also once again depends upon individual liking, I make it medium sized. You can roll out a little bit larger too. Also so make it a little bit more thicker say about 1/3 inch …. So do try out a few and then continue as per your liking. You can check out those two large buns in the picture which I have rolled thinner and fried for reference. 

** Note : Oil should be just hot enough for deep frying and not smoking point. Remember the buns/poories are rolled out thick and they should get cooked from within too. Very hot oil will brown the poories immediately and not cook them from within. Also remember to press down the buns as you fry or else they will not become evenly fluffed. 

** I am sharing the link to "Mangalore Buns" Recipe below, you can check it out for step procedures and rolling method too as I have included pictures there and not repeated the same over here again. 

** I am also sharing a common link to “Buns” prepared by me in different varities which you may love to try out in your homes. Do go through the link and I assure you your children will love them all. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 20K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.