Monday, July 1, 2019

Ambe Rosu- Narla Rosa Gojju (Ripe Mango- Coconut Milk Curry)


“Ambe Rosu- Narla Rosa Gojju (Ripe Mango- Coconut Milk Curry)" … This is a khatta meetha teekha /tangy sweet spicy dish that is best served as side dish along with other ... tastes great with chapati, roti, poori, parathas or with our very own panpolo too … Yummilicious … 

** Come Mango season and I always try to prepare as many dishes as possible using mangoes and also try out new recipes either suggested by friends or my own concoctions. I had come across this recipe long back in a group where in Mangoes were cooked and prepared using coconut milk. Somehow those days as I was too busy I just did not bother to read much on the same, also the person did not share her recipe. Well, I had purchased some Rajapuri Mangoes, those which are very large in size and each one weighs almost more than half a kg at times. The mango was full of flesh within but was both tart and sweet in taste. I prepared gojju of one that which I have already posted before and was wondering what more I could do, something new that would be really interesting. The same was in my thoughts as I went to bed and well as I have said end times before, that is the time when I get ideas and thoughts for my writings as well as recipes. I always keep a book and pen beside my bedside to write it down immediately as I have the tendency of forgetting the same in the morning. I remembered the coconut one and thought of trying out the same in my own way. Here is my simple and fast method of preparing mango gojju with coconut milk. I have used readily available coconut milk here, you can prepare the same too, to which I will share a link and you can go through the same if need be. The rest of the method is simple, however, I must mention here that though you can relish it as it is, this gojju tastes best with Maida poori, it’s just an awesome combo. 


** Here is my method of preparing “Ambe Rosu- Narla Rosa Gojju (Ripe Mango- Coconut Milk Curry)" … My Style …. 

** Peel off the skin of one large sized Rajapuri Ripe Mango (You can use any sweet mango). Put the edible flesh portion in a mixer grinder squeezing out as much as possible from the mango and discard the inner seed. I have added on about half a kg of the same. 

** Add in 6-7 green chillies cut into pieces and 1.5 inch piece of ginger also cut into pieces to the mango pieces in the grinder and grind to a very smooth paste. The ground mixture should be very smooth. Remove and add it into a non-stick ware kadai with 1 tablspoon of ghee and about half a cup of water. 

** Add in about 50-75 gms of grated jaggery to the mixture and cook on medium heat till the jaggery melts and you see bubbles bursting on surface. Now add in a tablespoon of tamarind paste and a large pinch of salt and mix well. Finally add in 1 cup of coconut milk and mix well. Let cook on minimum heat till you see heat passing on well of the curry. Remove from fire. 

** Note : Once the coconut milk is added, the curry should be heated well, but not boiled as sometimes the coconut milk tends to curdle, so be careful and keep the heat low as you cook the curry through. 


** For Tempering : Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a small pan, when hot, lower the heat and add in 1 tsp of urad dal (black gram dal), when the color changes slightly add in 8-10 methi (fenugreek) seeds, ½ tsp cumin seed (jeera), 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai/sasam), ½ tsp of hing (asafoetida) powder, 3-4 round red chillies, 8-10 curry leaves (kadipatta/karbevu) and fry for a few seconds and then pour it over the mango gojju and cover it immediately. 

** “Ambe Rosu- Narla Rosa Gojju (Ripe Mango- Coconut Milk Curry)” is done and ready. Keep it covered aside for the flavors to get infused and come to room temperature. This gojju is served cold and not hot. Tastes great with chapati, roti, parathas or poori. I served it with chapati along with Bengal gram-raw banana bhaji as it was upvas/fasting meal for me and it was a wonderful combination. 

** Do try this out and enjoy with your family and friends. Remember to not cook this dish in larger quantity, but only that much how much is needed as this does not remain good for longer period. You can keep it in fridge for some hours, but somehow the flavor is lost and after a time of over 12 hrs it does not remain fresh even in the fridge. So this is one dish I recommend to cook, cool and consume to your heart’s content and not store. 

** Note : I have used readily available coconut milk from stores, you can also prepare the same at home using freshly grated coconut. Sharing the link below of the preparation method if you want to try out the same .....

** Note : You can use any oil for tempering, however coconut oil imparts a very lovely aroma to certain dishes, specially gojju’s and tastes awesome too. Try it out once and check for yourself. We south Indians always vouch by coconut oil for tempering. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.