Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Spicy Curd Pova (Poha/Beaten Rice/Avalakki).


“Spicy Curd Pova (Poha/Beaten Rice/Avalakki)” … a simple, yet delicious dish prepared and relished during Krishna Janamashtami … Lord Krishna is believed to have loved poha / pova / povu / beaten rice / avalakki and as a mark of love and respect towards him on the day he is believed to have born, Hindus prepare those dishes that were very dear to the lord as Naivedyam … 

** I have already written so much about Lord Krishna’s love for poha that somehow I always feel I can write more and more of incidences that endorse these events. Well maybe some other time, when I get more information I will surely share in more of Krishna’s stories, about his childhood, his friends, his love for Radha, his role in the kurukshetra and many more interesting stories. Krishna’s stories are always appealing to all, specially his childhood naughtiness and the love of his foster mother Yashodha. I do not want to run into more details here now, you can always check up on my blog for stories, if interested under article of spiritual stories. I have written a few articles there to the best of my knowledge and as and how I found them interesting. Do read them and share with your children and family, it is always nice to know of such things as faith is the most important aspect in one’s life. Faith can move mountains they say, and I myself have experienced this in my life, My faith in God was very strong even when I went through the worst phase in my life. I never gave up on faith, and I believe it was my testing time and the lord took me safely out of the same. 


** Here is the simple method of preparing “Spicy Curd Pova (Poha/Beaten Rice/Avalakki)” … 

** Pick, clean and keep ready 3-4 cups of medium thickness poha/beaten rice/avalakki ready. 

** Grind a small piece of ginger with 2-3 tblsp of water and strain the juice. Add this to one cup of water along with about 1.5 cups of thick curds and beat well to a smooth consistency. Add in the poha to this mixture and add about 3-4 green chillies either cut into rings or coarsely crushed (as per your desire). 

** 15-20 minutes before serving, mix in the poha with the prepared spice curd mixture and mix well. Keep it covered aside to soak a little bit. It hardly takes much time if the poha is medium in thickness. 

** However, if using thin poha, then mix and serve immediately. The soaking time depends exclusively on the thickness and absorbing capacity of poha. So be careful, and keep a keen watch on it. You may mix a tablespoon of poha with little bit of curd mixture and check the same to make sure it does not get mushy. 

** “Spicy Curd Pova (Poha/Beaten Rice/Avalakki” is done and ready to offered as Naivedyam to Lord after which you can serve the same to your family and friends. Do try this out and relish it as it is not only easy to prepare, but actually a healthy dish too. It fills in your tummy for quite some time, also curds are very good for the tummy. We Konkani Saraswats prepare this many a times during festive season when we observe fast as it is simple and stops the craving for food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.