Friday, September 28, 2018

Spicy Radish (Mullangi / Mooli) Chutney.


"Spicy Radish (Mullangi / Mooli) Chutney" ... A delicious spicy chutney that goes very well with poori or roti / chapati ... Radish is very good for health, so do include them into your daily diet ... Yummilicious ... 

** Radish Chutney is a delicious spicy chutney with full flavors that is best relished with poori / chapati / parathas. Radish is a edible root variety that is available almost all round the year except some in between months. Radishes are available in different varieties some small, some tender young ones with leaves on and some large sized. They may not be very popular with your family or friends and not a favorite with many too due to its distinct smell, which some do not like, but by and large is loved the most when added in making of parathas. Though they were available in my home town, somehow my father never brought them home nor do I remember any dish cooked by Mom using it. Well, it is definitely not available as much as it is in the northern parts of the country. 

** After marriage, when I settled in Thane, outskirts of Mumbai, I came across this tuber vegetable which was available in large quantities. My hubby loved it, though initially I too found that it’s a little bit too astringent type and almost stings the tongue. But once you learn to eat it, its awesome, low in calories and healthiest tuber veggie of all. Slowly querying with neighbors I learned to prepare it in different ways and then started giving my own twists and turns. I had a Punjabi friend, who made delicious stuffed radish parathas that were liberally applied with butter and then dunked in fresh homemade curds and relished as breakfast dish. I simply craved to eat her parathas and learned to make the same from her, though I hardly prepare it nowadays. I will do so and blog the same soon. 

** Salads are another dish that taste awesome with addition of radish specially raitas. You can also just slice them thinly and add in a dash of lemon juice, salt to taste and pepper powder, toss it well and relish too. Sambar is another dish that tastes awesome with inclusion of radish. Well, there are many more and I will post them as and when I prepare them. As for chutney, there are many ways in which I prepare this chutney. When I am able to get them tender with those green fresh tender leaves on, I prepare them with the inclusion of the leaves, which I have posted before. Then I cook them and prepare them with either garlic and other spices the way I did today or with garlic and onion etc. Well for today its with tender garlic which is available in plenty as monsoon has yet to move on. So let’s just move on to the recipe of the chutney now. 


** Here is the Recipe for "Spicy Radish Chutney" … My Style … 

** Peel of the skin of a large sized white radish with a peeler and cut it to tiny pieces. You should have in all about 4 cups of the same. Keep this ready aside. 

** Heat 2 tblsp of oil n a thick bottomed pan, when hot lower the heat to medium and add in 2 tsp of urad dal (black gram dal), when it turns slightly brown in color add in 1 tblsp of jeera, ¼ tsp ajwain seeds (Oam), 10-12 black pepper corns, 5-6 seeds of methi (fenugreek), 1 tblsp white sesame (til), ½ tsp fennel seeds (saunf), 2 tsp of coriander seeds and fry for a few seconds on low heat. 

** Now add in 1.5 inch piece of tender ginger cut into pieces and further fry for a minute. Now add in 8-10 kashmiri red chillies cut into pieces, pinch of haldi powder and further fry for a minute. Lastly add in a small marble piece of tamarind and ½ cup of freshly grated coconut and continue frying for 3-4 minutes, till all the ingredients are well roasted. Remove and put this in a mixer grinder and keep it aside to cool down. 

** Now in the same pan add in the cut radish pieces along with ¼ cup of water and mix well. Cover and cook till the radish is cooked well and soft. This takes about 8-10 minutes, once done remove from fire and allow it to cool. When cooled to room temperature add it to the ingredients in the mixer grinder which will have cooled down by now and grind to a very smooth paste. You can add in a little bit of water if needed. Remove into a bowl, add salt to taste and mix well. 

** For Tempering : Heat 1 tsp of coconut oil (you can use any edible oil), when hot lower the heat and add in ½ tsp of urad dal, when it turns in color slightly, add in ½ tsp of mustard seeds, when it crackles add in 6-8 fresh curry leaves, fry for 2 seconds and pour it over the chutney in the bowl. Keep this covered aside for 10 minutes for flavor infusion. 

** "Spicy Radish (Mullangi / Mooli)Chutney" is done and ready to be served. This chutney should be served fresh as it tastes best then. Also it tastes really delicious when served with poori or parathas / roit, though you can serve them with Idly and dosa too. I served them with Hing flavored poori which is a very good combo of the same. 

** You can try out different combos too. I am trying it out with panpolo / neer dosa tomorrow as I have a cup of the leftover chutney which I have put in freezer. So I will let know about the same in a few days time as with panpolo is something I have never tried it with, always served it with poori or parathas.

** Note : Do keep the chutney texture on thicker side as it looses taste if thinned. You can check out the texture of the chutney in the picture, that is the right texture. You should be able to scoop up the chutney with the help of roit / poori pieces, without it running down. Tastes simply great that way. Also keep the spice level slightly higher than than of other chutney as for radish a little more spice added on tastes better. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.