Saturday, April 3, 2021

Donne Mirsanga- Putani- Soyeche Gooli (Capsicum- Roasted Gram- Coconut Semi Dry Chutney)


“Donne Mirsanga- Putani- Soyeche Gooli/ Sukki Chutney (Capsicum- Roasted Gram- Coconut Semi Dry Chutney)” … delicious tongue tickling chutney that tastes best served with ukde sheetHa pejja (kanji/ Ganji/ Red Boiled Rice Porridge) … A little bit of chutney goes a long way in satisfying taste buds be it in gooli form for peja, dry form for vada pav or thicker gravy form for dosa etc. the choice of the same runs into infinite … Yummilicious ….

** Chutney’s have always fascinated every Indian who loves to relish them as side dish for their meals/ dinner or for breakfast with Idly/ dosa/ roti etc. as is the trend in most homes. In my home too, it is no different and we always love having a little bit of spicy chutney to tickle taste buds. I grew up eating only a few variations that which my mom prepared, and relished the same preparing in my home after getting married and settling in Mumbai.

** Though I was a foodie I was a very hesitant cook as I detested facing criticism in place of encouragement being a newbie, so I stuck to what I knew best, it was much later after settling in my own home that I ventured into prepared dishes giving it my own twists to which I had full support of my hubby, who not only encourage but also gave in a few valuable suggestions often and went about relishing all dishes made without cribbing if turned not good.

** That is the reason why I always encourage youngsters be of any gender to learn basics of cooking as you never know when the need will rise and I always believe that each one should be self reliant in every field whatsoever. So never hesitate to cook even if you receive criticism, take it as stepping stones and just go ahead, no one is perfect, everybody learnt the hard way and so will you, but the desire to try/ to cook/ to learn should be there.

** Coming to chutney’s it was amazing to find that the same chutney’s are named differently region wise with minute difference. A decade back I came to know that Tamilians too prepared a chutney with addition of pulses/ veggies etc. similar in consistency to our loshney Gooli/ chutney which they referred as Thogayal from a few of my friends who worked in Bank were they had all community friends, I learned a lot from them on mix and matches too.

** It is very difficult to judge who was inspired by whom, as every community will always try to establish, it as their traditional dish. Well, for me food is universal, and being a foodie, all that matters is the options I get to prepare and relish them to heart’s content, and I was really intrigued to find that I had many options to be relished with pejja/ porridge and I began making my own mix and match combos of chutney gooli with various ingredients.

** I have them all jotted in my old diaries which I retrieving as time permits as there only that much a person can do in a day, also I strongly believe in No Wastage of Food and cook as much as needed only and if remained in excess, I always carry forward the same as it is or giving it a new face lift, and if not then give it away immediately. So, I will share them all as and when I prepare. So, keep a keen watch out for my postings and do try them out.

** This particular gooli/ chutney is prepared with addition of simla mirchi which definitely has a unique taste of its own, which I am sure all of you are aware as capsicum is a veggie that almost everybody loves to relish not to mention the best of all is bajo/ bajia/ fries. This gooli/ chutney turned out excellent served with pejja/ rice porridge. You can make it slightly thinner in texture and serve with Idly/ dosa/ roti/ parathas if desired too.

** Here is my very own method of preparing “Donne Mirsanga- Putani- Soyeche Gooli/ Sukki Chutney (Capsicum- Roasted Gram- Coconut Semi Dry Chutney)” … My Style, Do try it out and enjoy with your family and friends …


** Wash and cut 3 medium sized capsicum/ bell pepper/ donne mirsanga/ simla mirchi into pieces with the inner seeds intact and keep it ready aside.

** In a thick bottomed kadai add in 1-2 tsp of oil/ tel (I used coconut oil) and bring to heat, when hot lower the heat to medium and add in the cut capsicum and fry for a minute. Cover and cook on low heat for about 3-4 minutes mixing in between. Remove from kadai and keep it aside in a plate, while you proceed with the other preparations for grinding.

** In the same kadai add 2-3 tsp of oil and then add 2 tblsp of urad dal (Black gram dal) and fry for a minute or two and then add in 3 tblsp of putani (roasted gram) and continue frying till urad changes slightly in color. Add 5-6 green chillies (tarni mirsanga/ hari mirchi) cut into pieces along with 3-4 red chilies (byadgi mirchi/ kumte mirsanga).

** When the above is fried for a few minutes add in 3 cups of grated coconut (soyi/ nariyal) and continue frying for another few minutes until coconut turns warm and slightly crisp. Add salt (namakk/ meeta) to taste, a small lemon sized ball of tamarind (imly/ chinchama) and mix all well together and then remove from fire and keep it aside to get slightly cooled.

** Add the above fried ingredients into a mixer grinder along with cooked capsicum and grind to a semi coarse gooli textured chutney with just enough water. Do not add water in excess or you will not get the desired ball consistency of chutney. Keep mixing in between to get even textured chutney. Remove, add in a tablespoon of red chilly flakes (Optional) and mix well.

** “Donne Mirsanga- Putani- Soyeche Gooli/ Sukki Chutney (Capsicum- Roasted Gram- Coconut Semi Dry Chutney)” is done and ready to be served. This semi dry consistency chutney tastes best served with Ukde sheetHa Pejja (Red Boiled rice porridge) or any rice porridge too. However you can make it slightly thinner in consistency while grinding by adding little bit more or water and serve it along with Idly/dosa or roti too.

** Chutney’s are a delight to relish as side dish with any dish of your choice be it dosa, idly, roti, parathas, cutlets, ambado, pulav, biryani, dal-chawal. However the serving of chutney to the mentioned dishes differs in consistency and methods that’s all, but all taste equally well in tantalizing taste buds when served along with and in my home we love them.

** Note : I have added in putani/ roasted gram, as I often do, to cut down on coconut gratings. Putani is very good for health having nutritional properties and you should consume it some form. Flour prepared from it is called Sattu ka Atta and is very famous in north, which is used in preparing different types of dishes like roti, coolants etc. However, if you do not wish to add it, you may leave it out and increase coconut content by ½ cup of so.

** Note : You can also roast the capsicum/ donne mirsanga/ simla mirchi on open flame over gas till cooked and done for a few minutes and proceed too. The same way as we prepare brinjal for bharta/ bajji. However, here I have fried it with a little bit of coconut oil and then cooked it in it's own steam by cooking it covered as i find that much more convenient. I did not sprinkle or add in any water to the same.  

** I am sharing two common links below to “Chutney” and “Gooli” where in you will find many options of mix and match varieties, they all taste equally good and have been prepared on regular basis in my home. Do try them in your home and enjoy with your family and friends and keep a keen watch by subscribing to my Blog for more new dishes. Thanking all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.