Thursday, April 22, 2021

Sukkale Sungata- Bikkanda- Ambuli Sukka (Dried Prawns- Jackfruit Seeds- Raw Mango Dry Curry).


“Sukkale Sungata- Bikkanda- Ambuli Sukka (Dried Prawns- Jackfruit Seeds- Raw Mango Dry Curry)” … here is a delicious semi dry consistency side dish that I am preparing after a very long time … tastes awesome served with dal-chawal or roti/ paratha … Yummilicious …

** During my early days in kitchen I had tried out many dishes learning from books, magazines, neighbors, friends, relatives. I used to jot them down in old diaries and I have almost seven of them which I had almost forgotten in the last decade. I have often mentioned this before in several of my posts that I am retrieving them and prepare them all over again. I am making slight changes to suit the now change in taste and also need to actually think on many of them as at times I have skipped writing in details, so I have actually forgotten how I had prepared it.

** I came across many dishes with dried prawns, I guess I did not prepare them often as it was not liked then. Those days I followed recipes without making changes to suit our taste or liking which meant a lot of trouble if not liked, though I had no issues with hubby. Well, it is difficult to satisfy all, especially those of whose nature is to criticize. Many a times I gave up on trying and stuck to age old known recipes, but the desire to try out was always hidden within. Later I was busy with my job, so I did not give them much of a thought.

** Finally in the recent few years as I started posting in groups and then started my own, I browsed through my collection and retrieved many. The present crisis the world is facing made us face a lock down and I decided to de-clutter both my home and office. 90% of the things have not been touched for years and are only kept for sentiments or just like that. Well, the first to get axed were utensils and books, though I am still not done with them all, many more to go, but before that I am checking for those I would love to try and this one was it.

** Here is my Recipe for “Sukkale Sungata- Bikkanda- Ambuli Sukka (Dried Prawns- Jackfruit Seeds- Raw Mango Dry Curry)” … My Style, do try this out if you love dried prawns like us, it tastes excellent and is easy to prepare too ….

** Wash about 1 full cup of cleaned sukkale sungata/ sun-dried prawns (head and tail part removed) in plenty of water to remove all dust particles if any. Then soak it in hot water in a vessel and keep it aside covered for about 20-30 minutes. Drain off the water, wash it again well with plenty of water, drain and keep this ready aside.

** I have used fresh bikkanda/ jackfruit seeds here, say about 18-20 medium sized ones. You can use frozen ones too in which case you soak them in water for about 30 minutes and then proceed in the same way.

** For Method of Freezing Bikkand/ Jackfruit Seeds, please check out the link shared at the bottom of this recipe, it’s easy and I have been doing so for decades now successfully.

** Cut the seeds into two pieces horizontally with a sharp knife or with scissors. Remove the outer while skin, put in a colander, and rinse under running water. Put the cut pieces into a pressure cooker pan in layer and add about one cup of water and pressure cook on medium flame to two whistle. Do not overcook them or they will turn mushy.

** Wash the Ambuli/ Raw Mango/ Kairi/ Mavina Kayi and wipe it dry with a towel. Slice off the side portion with a sharp knife and then cut them into strips/ juliennes of about 1 inch in length. You will need about half a cup of the same. However, if the raw mango is not very tangy you can increase and add about ¾ cup for the curry. The amount to be added really depends upon it tartness, so check it out.

** Slice off the top and bottom edges of 2 medium or 1 large sliced Onion/ Kanda/ Piyav. Peel off outer skin and then slice it thinly lengthwise, sort it out properly and keep it ready aside on a plate. You can use the white outer skin onions if available at your place for this recipe as they give out a distinct and lovely taste to the curry.


** For the ground Masala : In a pan add a tsp of oil, when hot add in 1 cup of desiccated coconut and fry for a few minutes on medium to low heat, say 3-4 minutes only, then add in 2 tblsp of kashmiri red chilly powder, 1 tblsp of coriander (kothimbir/ dhania) powder, 1 tsp cumin (jeera) powder, ½ tsp fennel seeds (badisep/ saunf) powder, large pinch of haldi (turmeric powder) and mix well. Continue frying for another 2-3 minutes well till all the ingredients are well heated, then remove and grind to a fine paste with water.

** Note : I have used desiccated coconut here which is freely available in stores. However, you can use freshly grated coconut too or grate and use khobre/ dried coconut too. If using fresh coconut then fry for another 4-5 minutes extra on medium to low flame.

** Note : I always use Kashmir Red Chilly Powder which I get it done from mill once in a year in bulk. It not only gives out a lovely color to dishes, but also add in bulk. However, you can use any regular powder you use too, in which case use your judgment while adding it on to the curry especially if it is very spicy powder.

** When the pressure of cooker drops down on its own, open the lid, an keep it aside ready. In a thick bottomed kadai heat about 3 tblsp of oil, when hot add in 1 tsp of mustard seeds (sasam/ rai), when they begin to splutter add in 8-10 fresh curry leaves (kadipatta/ karbevu), mix well and then add in the sliced onions, salt (namak/ meeta) to taste and keep frying for a few minutes on medium heat.

** Now add the pressure cooked bikkand/ jackfruit seed pieces along with the water in which it is cooked to the onions in kadai. Add in the prepared and kept aside dried prawns and the raw mango pieces. Check and add required amount of water if necessary to just enough to cook the ingredients. Cook covered stirring in between until the prawns and raw mango pieces are just cooked, say about 80% done, do not overcook.

** Lastly add in the ground masala and mix well, if too thick add some water, also add in salt if required only and mix well. Cook covered on low heat well, stirring often in between so that the masala does not get burnt. This is a semi dry masala dish which dries up and thickens a bit on settling. But do not add excess water, you can always add in hot water while serving if the curry turns too thick and you need to adjust consistency.

** “Sukkale Sungata- Bikkanda- Ambuli Sukka (Dried Prawns- Jackfruit Seeds- Raw Mango Dry Curry)” is done and ready to be served. Though I served this dish as side dish with rice- dalitoy, personally I think it will go very well with roti/ parathas as the consistency of the dish is semi thick textured. You can try out any way you desire to have with your family and friends as it tastes awesome and is for those who love dried fish/ prawns.

** For the “Method of Frozen Jackfruit Seeds” … follow the link given below, it is very easy, so do give it a try if its available in your vicinity. In my home we like ripe jackfruit which is sold in market along with the seeds within intact. And through the season I get a huge collection nearly two kilos of the same. I have share many recipes using them, to which also I am sharing a common link below. They are nutritious, so do include them into your meals ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.