Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Dill Leaves (Shepu/ Sabsige) Leaves Rava Idly.


"Dill Leaves (Shepu/ Sabsige) Leaves Rava Idly with Coriander Chutney, Amla (Gooseberry) Pickle and Ginger (Adraki) Tea" ... preparing these idlies after decades as somehow I hardly buy shepu as you need to develop a taste for it ... healthy nutritious leaves high in Vit. C and A that should be consumed specially during winter ... prepared simple spiced rava idly with addition of curds and some grated carrots ... tastes great served with coriander chutney ... Yummilicious .... 

** Idly prepared with rava with addition of curds/ dahi is a very common dish from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine that is usually relished with spicy chutney or sambar though personally I love to relish it with Kurma a combination my father introduced me to. However today I have kept it simple with chutney as it is no onion no garlic day for us and Kurma without onions is something not very appealing. Also this time round I gave my own try out of preparing this Idly with Dill leaves also known as Shepu/ Sabsige/ Suva which is a herbal veggie rich in antioxidants and is a good source of both Vitamin C and A along with good source of magnesium. It does have a strong herbal flavor that is not liked by some, but in my home we are ok with it and usually do not fuss about in view of healthy dishes. 

** But, I must agree that I do not buy it much and it really had been quite some time since I had purchase the same. To my surprise, I realized that my blog did not include any dishes prepared using this herb till date and I thought it was high time I did so. I posted a dal yesterday and today this Idly, soon I will be posting a few dishes that I would love to try using this herb. Over years of Blogging, if it is one thing that I have realized it is that a lot of my thoughts towards preparation of food have changed a lot drastically. I have always been intrigued to prepare new dishes and now it is more so a challenge for me to come out with my own concoctions. I would really love to know more about food and keep reading about the same and also follow a few nutritionist advice on food matters and preparations. 

** Here is the Recipe to "Dill Leaves (Shepu/ Sabsige) Leaves Rava Idly" … My Style …. 

** Ingredients : 
Bansi Rava/ Mangalore Rava/ Barik Lapsi : ½ cup 
Bombay Rulavu/ Rava : 1.5 cups 
Barik Rava/ Chiroti Rava/ Fine Rava : ½ cup 
Thick Curds/ Dahi : 2 cups 
Dill Leaves/ Shepu/ Sabsige : 1 cup cleaned and finely chopped. 
Carrot/ Gajar : 1 medium sized grated. 
Green chillies/ Hirvi Mirchi/ Tarni Mirsang : 4-5 finely chopped 
Hing/ Asafoetida : ½ to 1 tsp 
Water as required (Approximately 1-2 cups) 
Salt/ Namak/ Meeta : to taste 
Cooking Soda : ¼ tsp 
Oil : 2 tblsp 

** Beat the 2 cups of thick curds with 1 cup of water together to a smooth texture and keep it ready aside. Keep aside the remaining water aside to be added as necessary. 

** Heat Oil in a thick bottomed kadai, when hot add in all the three types of rava mentioned in the list and fry for a few minutes on medium heat. Remove and keep it aside to get completely cooled down.

** Note : You can prepare the Idly with just Bombay Rava ie normal rava and need not add a combination of all three like how I have done. I prepare so as I found that I get a better textured Idly that is softer yet firmer ones. You may use the rava to your choice too. 

** Once it has been cooled add green chillies, grated carrots, finely chopped dill leaves, asafoetida, salt to taste and mix well. Add in the beaten curds, mix well and keep it covered aside for 5-10 minutes. This is necessary as the rava will get soaked in properly and soften too and the level of water further needed gets also to be checked out. 

** Once the resting period is over the batter will have thickened so add in little by little water and keep mixing till you get a thick batter consistency that which is similar to idly batter. Usually the ratio of addition of curd+ water to rava is 1:3 but some rava may taken in more water and some less so be careful and do not add in one go. 

** Note : The mixture should be of right consistency, if too less the rava will not fluff properly and if more it will turn mushy. I am sharing a link at the bottom of this recipe where in there are more step by step procedures you can check out the preparation of the same to understand the texture properly. 

** Keep aside the prepared mixture covered for 15-20 minutes for resting. This is a must procedure which I follow so that the rava will take in water and get swollen and softened in during the rest period or else if you directly make the idly they may turn out hard and not soft and spongy. So never ever hurry on the matter and all it takes is just 20 minutes.

** Apply oil to all the idly molds, this ensures that the batter does not stick to and comes off cleanly without crumbling once the Idly is steamed. Now add in the cooking soda to the prepared and kept mixture batter and mix well for a minute and the batter is ready to be added into molds of your choice for steaming and preparing of the Idlies. 

** Add in the mixed batter into the molds and place it into the Idly steamer which is already ready with water heated. Cover with the lid and let cook on high for 5 minutes, then lower the heat and cook for another 7-8 minutes or till done. Remove and keep it aside in the open to get cooled down a little bit which is necessary for proper removal of the Idlies. 

** Note : I prepared these in the semi circle plate type idly mold and not the vati type. This type of idly take less time in getting steamed unlike the vati. So adjust the time accordingly. 

** Run a blunt knife through the edges on the inner side of molds and gently flip over the idly in one go and trust me they come out beautifully without crumbling. Remove all and put it into a serving plate. If there is remaining mixture batter, prepare a second round of Idlies following the same pattern of steaming them as before till all is done. 

** "Dill Leaves (Shepu/ Sabsige) Leaves Rava Idly" is done and ready to be served. Though these Idlies taste great with vegetable Kurma, I served them with Coriander Chutney as I could not prepare the same. But most of the people serve them with chutney itself and they really taste great. I also served a dash of pickle for added on taste along with strong ginger tea and we had a wonderful breakfast. 

** Note : I have shared two links below for the preparation of Rava Idlies. The first one below gives you step by step procedure which will help you to understand the preparation better and the other one is a common link wherein you will find more combination recipes …. 

** For the “Amla Mustard Pickle” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

**For the “Kadak Adraki Chai/ Strong Ginger Tea” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

** There are many types of “Chutney” Recipes, including that with coriander in different combinations in the blog. I am sharing a common link to all, so that you can browse through the same and choose that which you would love to try out as they all go very well with Idly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.