Saturday, November 28, 2020

Peru (Guava) Halwa.


"Naivedyam : Peru (Guava) Halwa" ... preparing peru halwa for the first time ... turned out quite tasty ... sharing my naivedyam and wishing all my friends "A Very Happy and Prosperous Tulsi Pooja (Vivaha)" ... Stay Blessed, Stay Safe and Spread Happiness ... 

** A simple yet very tasty halwa similar to bottle gourd halwa, carrot, beetroot halwas. You can prepare the same with sugar or with jaggery too. I used sugar to retain the white color and avoided adding on any flavor as the guava/ peru flavor itself was very pleasant and strong that I did not want to spoil it adding on other flavors that may contrast with the same. Large sized peru/ guavas are availabe in Mumbai, which I myself am seeing for the first time, Each peru was about 500 gms in weight, with a smooth pulpy flesh within with relatively lesser number of seeds, the only hitch was they were not sweet coz. of which I had to add in more sugar for the same. I am sure many other dishes can be prepared with this peru, maybe some curries too, which I will try out soon if I find them again. However you can try these with any peru/ guava available in your vicinity, trust me they taste awesome and children will love them very much for sure. So do try them out and give me feedback if possible. 

** Here is my simple recipe for “Peru (Guava) Halwa” … My style …. 

** Wash wipe clean required number of peru/ guava. Slice off the edges and then cut them into 1 inch sized cubes, you can retain the skin, I have. 

** Put pieces into mixer grinder and grind to a pulp without addition of water. Sieve through a large holed sieve so that the pulp is retained and only seeds gets sieved. Discard the seeds. 

** Add in the pulp into a thick bottomed kadai/ pan, add in 2 tblsp of ghee and fry on medium heat for 2-3 minutes or till it is well fried. Do not raise heat or stop stirring, it may get burnt. 

** Add in 1.5 to 2 cups of sugar depending upon the sweetness of the peru along with one cup of full fat milk and cook all together to boiling point on medium heat, stirring often. 

** Once it comes to boil, lower the heat and cook till it thickens. Keep stirring to avoid it getting burnt. Lastly add in one cup of milk powder and mix well till well blended with mixture. 

** The halwa will thicken and leaves sides slightly. Add another tablespoon of ghee, mix well and remove from fire. Pour it into a serving bowl and keep it aside to get slightly cooled. 

** In a small pan add in ¼ tsp of ghee add in a handful of cashew nuts and fry till slightly browned on medium heat. Remove and add this to the halwa kept aside for cooling. 

** “Peru (Guava) Halwa” is done and ready to be offered as Naivedyam to God and thereby distributed amongst family members. I prepared this on festive occasion of Tulasi Pooja for the first time and my family simply loved it as it was very tasty and aromatic too. 

** You can also prepare this as dessert to be served when you have guests coming over for lunch/ dinner. Children will not only love it, but it will be one of the best ways to make them eat fruits, otherwise which they are reluctant to do so especially the peru/ guava fruit. 

** There are many more “Halwa” recipes in my Blog, to which I am sharing a common link below, you can browse through the same and try out those that appeals to your family … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.