Sunday, November 1, 2020

Kananga Kachri (Ratalu Chips/ Sweet Potato Wafers).


"Kananga Kachri (Ratalu Chips/ Sweet Potato Wafers)” … Diwali/Depavali the festival of lights, goodies, savories is just a few days away … prepared kananga kachri for the first time as usually I prefer banana chips, but had one medium sized sweet potato, so gave a try … well, I will definitely go and purchase more … till then enjoy these crisp and hot from kadai … Yummilicious … 

** Kachri (in Konkani)/ Wafers/ Chips always are a favorite almost of every Indian and there are many varieties of them. My Mom often made big tins full of wafers either of raw Nendrabale Kele (Kerala Banana), Sweet Potato (Kananga), Potatoes etc. and we children hogged them without ever thinking how much strains Mom took in preparing them. She never scolded us but I remember once somewhere when I was in 5/6th standard emptying almost about 300 gms of these chips engrossed reading Nancy Drew story book and she gave me a good firing. Not because I ate, but she was furious that I was so lost in the book that I was not even aware of having eating so much which was really not good as I always got a pain in my stomach if I ate too much, I still do. Well, as a punishment I had to walk for a good 20 minutes all round the home, which I still do to get rid of the irritation in stomach if I overeat. 

** Though I did prepare these wafers a few times it was a decade back or so when Mom had come over and she prepared them while all I did was help her. I have somehow relied on her for all savory preparations as I am scared I will ruin the same, even when it comes to preparing of Laddoos I need her to keep an eye while I do the work. But now she is above 86 yrs and is unable to do much so the last time she gave me a earful and fired me saying it was high time I prepared on my own. Having spondylitis and back issues makes it difficult for me to carry on much of heavy work and every time I do I end up visiting my Dr. for his amusement and my dilemma, but yes I explain and we both have a hearty laugh. There was one large sized sweet potato lying at home and it was almost noon when I felt the urge to prepare these, I gave a try so that I could get some more if these turned out perfect and they did. 

** Here is the Method of preparing "Kananga Kachri (Ratalu Chips/ Sweet Potato Wafers)” … My Mom’s Style … 

** In a small bowl add in 1 cup of water with 2 tsp of salt and mix well. Keep this ready aside. This is to be added into the oil when the chips are half done. The procedure adds in salt to the wafers and also gives the wafers/chips that added crispiness. 

** Preparing the Kananga/ Ratalu/ Sweet Potato for making Chips/ Wafers : Wash the required number of sweet potatoes well to remove muddy portion if any stuck to it. Wipe it dry with a thick cloth and peel of the outer skin with a potato scraper/ peeler and immediately put it into a bowl filled with water. 

** Note : You should put the peeled sweet potatoes into a bowl of water to avoid it getting discolored as sweet potato tends to slightly get browned if let exposed to air. 

** Keep a thick bottomed kadai with plenty of oil for deep frying on heat as you prepare the sweet potatoes side by side. When the oil reaches smoking point, lower it to medium heat and wait for 2-3 minutes before you start the process of deep frying.

** Remove the sweet potatoes from water and wipe it dry with a thick cloth taking care to see that there is no trace of water. Now with a wafer slicer slice it on a sheet of paper or plate till you have enough to add to the hot oil for frying. 

** To Check the Oil Temperature : Add in 2-3 sliced wafers into the hot oil, if they sizzle around without turning brown immediately it means the temperature is right, keep the heat constant on same degree temperature through out the frying process for even frying. 

** Add the slices into the hot oil and keep frying on medium to hot oil temperature keeping the heat constantly at the same level to get evenly fried chips. Keep stirring and mixing in the chips often with a ringed spatula for even frying of the same. 

** Once the sizzling sound of cooking chips lessens add in 2-3 tblsp of the prepared salt water gently into the oil, taking care to stay a little bit far lest the bubbles erupt on your hand. The sizzling of salt water stops in a few minutes indicating that the wafers are done. 

** With the help of a slotted/ ringed spatula mix well, remove a few and check out if done and then remove the rest of the wafers from the oil holding it for a few second above the oil, for excess oil to get drained into the kadai. 

** Add in the wafers into a tray/ bowl which has been lined with an absorbent paper/ sheet. Proceed with the remaining sweet potato slices in similar method mentioned above of drying them first, then slicing and then adding to oil. Prepare the wafers/ chips till all are done. 

** "Kananga Kachri (Ratalu Chips/ Sweet Potato Wafers)” are done and ready to be served. They taste great served fresh immediately but you can store them once cool down for sometime in air tight containers and relish them as a snack during tiffin time too. You can also serve a few along with upma or usli during breakfast time as they taste great together. 

** They remain good for almost three weeks provided they remain that long. I do not prepare in bulk as we prefer having them fresh, so they are over maximum with a few days in my home. But if you have children who are always demanding for more, do make an attempt to try these out and store them, especially during holidays or festive season and enjoy them also with your family and friends. 

** There are many more varieties of wafers / chips that can be prepared with different types of veggies some of which like that of carrot etc. have been included in the blog and a few more will be included soon. Till then do try these out and enjoy these during the Diwali/ Deepavali festival which is just round the corner. 

** You can use the search option or go via the label section for wafer/ chips and try out some of the other chips posted before in the blog. Do try out various dishes from the blog and if you like them please do leave in a comment and if you have any doubts too you can do the same, I will try to get back to your as soon as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.