Thursday, December 19, 2019

Nankhatai/ Narayan Katar/ Eggless Cookies.


"Nankhatai/ Narayan Katar/ Eggless Cookies" ... Nankhatai needs no introduction, a biscuit that is relished in almost every home specially in and around Mangalore ... I grew up relishing them and they are still my favorite ... I am preparing these after eons, so lost a bit of practice ... as I want to try out baking biscuits made this my first venture ... Yummilicious ..........

** Nankhatai are delicious, light and crisp eggless cookies/shortbread biscuits. The biscuits are believed to have originated from the Indian subcontinent and are very popular in India and other continents too. The word Nankhatai however is said to be derived from Persian word “Naan” meaning bread and "Khatai" meaning Biscuit. In northern eastern countries, they are called by other names too. In Mangalore, my home town they are called “Narayan Katar” and I really have no idea why. These shortbread cookies were traditionally prepared eggless using APF (all- purpose flour)/ Maida along with sugar, ghee and spiced with either cardamom or nutmeg. However, with changing times there are many more combos in which these cookies are prepared like whole wheat flour, finger millet flour, gram flour, custard powder etc. In all they are always soft and crunch that melts in mouth and can be relished anytime of the day. 

** Coming to the preparation part of these cookies you can prepare them using baking powder or cooking soda or without them too. When BP and CS are added the prepared dough need not be kept aside for resting for long duration, but if you do not use the same they will have to be kneaded well and also should be given a good resting period of say 8-12 hours. The baking part is easy as it does not consume much time a batch of single tray can be got done in 12-15 minutes depending from oven to oven. Once cooled they turn out crisp and can be stored for 3-4 weeks in an air tight container. If you want to prepare them in bulk it is best to get it baked in an bakery in your neighborhood. In Mumbai during Diwali these cookies are prepared almost in every home and they get it done with bakers in large trays that really cut down the cost as preparing on home electricity turns out costlier as well as time consuming. 

** I have nostalgic memories of Nankatai as my sisters often used to prepare them at home and this was the only biscuit we knew to prepare. Me, being the youngest always sat beside them, watching them knead, while I kept picking small marble sized bites of the dough insisting I was checking out on sugar content. My father was a foodie and my Mother was an awesome cook, though she knew only Konkani cuisine dishes. My father would buy all the equipment's for us and urge us to learn everything be it in the field of education or culinary. We do have a lot to thank both Mom and Dad for all the things we learned in life. I still remember that round shaped oven that was about 30 inches in diameter and 12 inches of height my dad brought home. It had a thermostat round the inner rim of the body and lid that had a glass in center through which I would look in amazement when the cookies began to rise and get baked like snow balls. 

** Well, now there are square/ rectangular box ovens with much more temperature adjustment, timers etc. unlike our old round oven which did not have these facilities. As I have mentioned before, my neighbor was a great chef and baked cakes and cookies so well. She had such beautiful looking and modern equipment's from abroad and I was always in awe of them. I still remember relishing those yummy cakes and Ice creams which were really fantastic. Though I have had an oven for over 30 years now, well, I still own the same one, I have not baked much for lack of time or maybe motivation, and I really can’t pinpoint which one. But, I do intend to make up for all those lost years by learning to bake and I will be sharing them here more often now. After a few bakes that turned out good, my confidence in baking has picked up and I am now scanning through those thousands of saved recipes for choice in baking. 

** Today I am sharing my age old recipe for "Nankhatai/ Narayan Katar/ Eggless Cookies" that has been  followed in my home for decades now. I used to call it 1-2-3 cake as the proportion of ghee, sugar and maida used are in that proportion. It is one of the easiest recipe to remember and does not need to be jotted down too if remember in this manner. I have not made any changes in this recipe and kept it as it is, as I was baking after decades and had almost lost touch on the making of it. I baked it at home in my old oven which acts and bakes as is it's mood, sometimes increasing the heat if angry and settling down on cooling. Trust me, sometimes I feel it’s behavior is more of human nature than that of a machine. Sigh, I do need to buy a oven, but still hesitant as first I want to get into proper baking before I think on those lines. Do try out this easy to prepare “Nankatai/Narayan Katar/Eggless Cookies”  and enjoy with your family and friends. 


** Ingredients for "Nankhatai/ Narayan Katar/ Eggless Cookies" Recipe : 
Ghee/Toop : 1 cup 
Sugar Powder/Sakhre Pitti/Pitti Shakhar : 1 heaped cup 
Maida/APF (all purpose flour) : 3 cups 
Baking Powder : ½ tsp 
Baking Soda : ½ tsp 
Salt/Namak/Meeta : a small pinch 
Cardamom/Ellaichi/Yellu Powder : ½ tsp 
Colour : pinch of any colour you desire 

** Sieve the maida, baking powder, baking soda and salt together through a fine sieve on a tray or paper and keep it ready aside. 

** In a wide stainless steel bowl add in the melted warm ghee and add in the sugar powder and mix well with a fork/whisk till it turns creamy. This will take about 3-4 minutes. 

** Add in the colour and cardamom powder and mix well and then add in the sieved ingredients and mix well using kneading method/technique till it combines into a smooth dough. 

** Cover with a tight lid and keep this aside for resting for 1-2 hours. Once again knead the dough well for a good 10-15 minutes. This helps the dough release the ghee from within and turn out softer making the cookies crisp on baking. 

** Preheat the oven when you start making the nankhatai. Take a tablespoon of the dough and roll into the shape of a ball and then flatten it a little bit only and place it on greased tray. You can also place a parchment paper on the tray and place the same. 

** While placing the nankhatai’s, see to it that you keep at least a gap of an inch between two nankhatai, this distance is necessary for even baking of the biscuits or else they will not be baked properly on sides. 

** Put the tray into the preheated oven and bake the cookies at 180 deg. C for 12-15 minutes or until done. The baking time differs from oven to oven depending upon the heat temperature etc. So, once it crosses 12 minutes, keep a watch on the cookies to avoid it getting burnt. 

** When done remove from the oven and keep them aside to get completely cooled down. The gently loosen them with a blunt knife and put them into another plate, when sure that it has cooled down from within too, store them in an airtight container. 

** Proceed with the remaining dough in the same manner and bake them till all are done, cooled and ready to be stored. These remain good for over 3-4 weeks easily if carefully handled and store in airtight containers. 


** "Nankhatai/ Narayan Katar/ Eggless Cookies" is done and ready served. Do try out these delicious eggless cookies and serve them to young and old anytime they desire to have a snack during break times. 

** Children are sure to love this melt in mouth crisp cookies, specially during holidays when get tired after playing or going about enjoying other activities always come home hungry to eat snack in between. Tastes great with a glass of hot/warm milk or even for a coffee break. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.