Monday, December 30, 2019

Chilled Gulkand Caramel~Rose Flavoured Custard.


"Chilled Gulkand Caramel~Rose Flavoured Custard" ... Sharing with all my friends a delicious rose flavoured Egg Custard caramelized with Gulkand (sweet preserve of rose petals) ... Wishing all my friends A very Merry Christmas and A happy festive season as the year comes to an end .... Stay Blessed~ Spread Happiness, Warmth and Enjoy ...... 

** I find myself preparing caramel custard with different flavour more these days. As you all know that it is my favorite dessert from childhood to date and I can never have enough of it. December is always a month with lots of festivals and other joyous occasion and the whole of the month passes of with lots of desserts and sweet preparations. Somehow I always land up with more milk at home during such times and then it just gets added on without actually being consumed. Now, preparing of payasam is not something me or hubby are fond of but caramel custard is something we would have any day anytime. I remember those days decades back when I prepared them often, at that time however I just prepared either vanilla flavored or coffee flavored and did not experiment much with it, nevertheless though I was busy to the core those were the most beautiful days of my life. I was so busy in my own office that I neither had the time to think much nor venture out too. We never planned ahead any outings as we were never sure if we could make it as all our work came with a meeting deadline which had to be met. 

** It really makes me feel very proud when I look back on those days to our dedication that payed off with such beautiful recognition's today. We never faltered in our work and had a reputation of being the best service provider who believed in promptness and commitments. Therefore, our plans or outing during that time was spontaneous or should I say if possible on last minute. Today after taking a break, I suddenly find myself having lots of time to venture into other fields that I could not do so before for lack of time. I have committed myself to social work, run a food group, cook and give a try to new recipes and all these things once again keep me fully and happily occupied. I strongly believe that an Idle mind is a devil’s workshop. So, never sit lonely brooding or doing nothing, keep yourself so busy that there is absolutely no space for bad thoughts or deeds to creep in unannounced. Home activities are stress busters and if you look round and give a glance to all the rooms, you will always find corners that needs attention, mean to say that there is plenty of work in your own home to keep you on toes and that itself is the best exercise for human body if done on regular basis. 

** Well, that is what I have found out in the last few years and I am happy doing my own thing at my own space and time. Coming to cooking and eating, the same also gets digested well with all the rushing around attending the never ending work in my home and office. Ah, yes, I still go to my office on regular basis for half a day and attend a few urgent matters, that's it, then its always my reading, writing, blogging, Sat-sangs etc.  So, Caramel Custard though a little bit on heavier side in calories has joined once again on my to-do-list but now I am giving it twist by trying out different ways and flavors. I prepared this particular one with rose flavor by adding on rose syrup and gulkand a rose crush preserve to the caramel. Well hubby loved it and so did I, in all it was something different with lovely flavors mixed in. Do try it out, I am sure it will be loved in your home. You can leave out gulkand if you do not have it at home and prepare a simple caramel topped too, tastes equally goo. Do try this out, it is simple to prepare and a lovely healthy dessert full of proteins that is good for growing children and a lovely dessert to end the meal with. 

** Here is my very own simple method of preparing "Chilled Gulkand Caramel~ Rose Flavoured Custard" … My Style … 

** Ingredients : 
Milk/Doodh : 2 full cups of full fat milk. 
Milk Cream/Malai : ½ cup 
Eggs/Motto/Andey : 4 large sized ones. 
Rose flavoured Syrup or Crush : ¼ cup (Store bought)
Sugar/Shakkar : + 3 tblsp 
Gulkand- a sweet rose petal crush preserve : 2 tblsp 


** In a thick bottomed stainless steel vessel add in milk and the malai and mix it well, beating a lit bit. Be careful with the cream or else it will turn to butter. Now put it on heat and bring it to a boiling point stirring often on medium heat for about 5 minutes. 

** Remove and let the milk cool down to room temperature. Once it is cooled down add in rose syrup or crush and mix well. I have not added any sugar as the syrup contains enough in it, if desired you can add the same. Actually sweetness depends upon how sweet the syrup you are adding is and individual choice of caramel too. Keep this ready aside. 

** In a glassware bowl, break in the eggs and beat it well with a whisker until mixed well. Do not over beat it, it spoils the texture of the custard. Now add this to the rose milk mixture, well and then sieve it through a fine stainless steel sieve into another vessel and keep it ready aside. Always remember to sieve the custard to get a well done custard. 

**For sugar caramelizing : I have always prepared these in aluminium cake molds. Add 3 tblsp of sugar+ 1 tblsp of water in the mold and keep it on medium-low flame till the sugar melts and bubbles appear. The minute it starts caramelizing ie. it turns into golden brown remove from fire, quickly add in the gulkand and mix well. Swirl the mold a bit, so that the caramel spreads evenly towards 1/3” of the sides at the bottom. Let this cool. It hardly takes more than 5-10 minutes. 

** If you have prepared in different vessel or you are using different mold, then pour it immediately into the mold you are going to use and swirl it like mentioned above without allowing it to cool. It will harden immediately, so you got to be careful and fast in preparation of caramel for the custard. 

** Pour the prepared and kept egg-rose milk mixture into the mold that has caramelized sugar at the bottom gently. See to it that you fill the mold only up to half or ¾ th level. There should be some gap left for the custard to get cooked and risen properly. 

** Keep a Idly Steamer/Pedavana or any steaming vessel with required amount water and separator and bring to a boil. Now gently keep the filled mold into the steamer without tilting it. Cover it with a fitting plate and keep a small weight on it to prevent the lid from having any gaps. 

** Steam on high heat for 5 minutes and then on low heat for about 20-25 minutes. To check if done a wooden skewer or knife inserted through center should come out clean. When done, remove and let cool completely before putting it covered in the refrigerator overnight or for minimum 6 hours to chill. 

** “Gulkand Caramel~Rose Flavoured Custard" is done and ready to be served. To serve the caramel custard run a blunt knife gently all round the inner rim of the mold to loosen it. Keep a fitting dish, slightly larger than the rim of the mold, on top of the mold and overturn it so that the custard is gently rolled over fully into the dish. 

** You should slice the Caramel Custard into required number of pieces with a blunt knife after flipping it over on plate and serve immediately. A little bit of caramel liquid will drop into the dish, not to worry, it is always served with that liquid, you can check out the picture for reference. A Chilled delicious dessert to be served after meal that actually is very tasty and loved by all those who love a mild sweet dessert. 

** Note : See to it that the plate/dish placed over the the mold can fully accommodate the custard without spilling over when overturned otherwise it will slip and fall off, so be carful about it. You can also prepare them in small muffin aluminium cups, so that it can be served as a whole. I do so many times, you can check the picture elsewhere. 

** I am sharing a common link to “Caramel Custards” posted in the blog before. You can check out through the link and go through the recipes and try them out too. You can also check out step-by-step detailed pictures posted in that recipe to which I have shared the link below. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.