Monday, December 30, 2019

Karathe'- Magge-Bikkanda Koddel/ Bitter Gourd-South Indian Cucumber-Jackfruit seeds Curry.


"Karathe'- Magge- Bikkanda ghalnu Koddel (Bitter Gourd- South Indian Cucumber- Jackfruit seeds Curry seasoned with garlic)" ... A delicious garlic seasoned curry from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine .... Yummilicious ….. 

** The word “Koddel” as is the name given to Konkani Saraswat dish prepared using garlic seasoning and every Konkani perfectly understands it when spelled. This is a famous Konkani Saraswat dish that can be prepared with much combination with both veggies and pulses or beans. I have lost count on the number of dishes in different combination I myself have posted here. My love for koddel is known well in my family as garlic seasoned curry is something I just can’t resist having with ukde sheetha ie red boiled rice. Both are an awesome hand in hand combination and a hit in my community, though now a day’s people have switched over to other rice and avoid boiled rice. Considering the fact that red boiled rice is good for health, one should adapt to its taste from childhood, as it is difficult to do so once you cross your mid age. Well, frankly, if you want to you can coz. I am an living example regarding the same as I never ate boiled rice during my childhood or teens as it was always normal polished rice cooked then. 

** I began relishing it much later almost after I crossed 30 years of age, as my hubby loved it and insisted I prepare it at home. The first few times I liked it but so-so, slowly I began to adapt to its taste especially when served with fish curry or spicy curries and after that I have never looked back as it has now taken a prominent place in my cuisine. I have written enough about Koddel so anything more will just be repetitive, so I am just including a common link to all the combo of koddel posted in my Blog at the bottom of this recipe. All you need to do is click on that link and you will get a back to back list of the same, you just need to choose that which you would love to try depending upon what veggies you have in stock in your home. Serve the curry hot with rice or if you need to serve it with roti or parathas just see to it that you keep the curry slightly thicker than that for rice and it’s done. Do try out various options of curries posted in the blog and have a delicious home cooked meal for your family, near and dear ones. 

** Here is my very own method of preparing "Karathe'- Magge- Bikkanda ghalnu Koddel (Bitter Gourd- South Indian Cucumber- Jackfruit seeds Curry seasoned with garlic)" … My Style … 

** Ingredients : 
Karathe’/Bitter Gourd/Karela : 2 large sized 
Magge / South Indian Cucumber / Southekai : About 250 gms. 
Bikkanda/Jackfruit Seeds : 8-10 
Salt to taste 

** Masala to be Ground :
Coconut / Soyi : 1 cup heaped 
Red dried Kashmiri chillies : 8-10 
Tamarind /Chinchama/ Imly : one small marble sized ball. 

** For Tempering / Seasoning : 
Oil : 2 tsp 
Garlic/losun/Lehsun : 12- 15 cloves 

** Wash and slice off both the edges of the bitter gourd. Cut them into rings of say ¼ inch sized and keep them ready aside. I have used the light green colored bitter gourds as they are less bitter in taste, you can use any. 

** Cut the magge/south Indian cucumber into 1 inch sized pieces, retaining the outer skin. Remove the innermost seed and discard them. Check out the same on the attached pic for ref. Keep this ready aside. 

** I always freeze and store plenty of bikkands/jackfruit seeds specially for this dish which lasts me almost for 5-6 months. Just wash, remove the outer white skin and mash or crush each bikkand/ jackfruit seed a bit. There should be visible cracks for proper cooking of the same. Keep it ready aside.


** In a pressure cooker pan, first add in the crushed jackfruit seeds/bikkand in a layer and add about 1 cup of water and pressure cook on medium heat to 3-4 whistles. Once the pressure falls down and you are able to do so remove only the cooked bikkands and put it into another vessel while retaining the cooked water in pressure cooker. 

** Now add in the sliced and kept ready bitter gourd piece in a layer and top it with magge/south Indian cucumber pieces. Add in water if needed only and pressure on medium heat to 2 whistles. Allow the pressure to fall on its own and then remove and add the cooked veggies along with the remaining water into the vessel with jackfruit seeds and keep it aside. 

** Masala to be ground : Add in the coconut, chillies and tamarind into the mixer grinder and grind the masala to a very fine paste with little bit of water. You can use the veggies cooked water for grinding of the masala, that is what we Amchi of every home do. The masala should be thick and really smooth and fine. Remove and add it into the vessel of cooked veggies. 

** Add the ground masala with pressure cooked veggies and mix well, add in just enough water to bring to a thick gravy consistency. Now add salt to taste and bring to a boil on medium heat, mixing once or twice in between. Once it comes to a full boil, lower the heat to minimum and simmer for 5-10mins. Once done, remove and keep aside ready for tempering. 

** For Tempering / Seasoning : Heat oil in a small kadai. Crush the garlic and add in to the hot oil and fry till evenly browned. Pour this over the curry and cover with a tight lid. Do not peel off the garlic completely you can keep on a little bit of the skin to it. It tastes awesome as the skin imparts more flavour to the curry. Keep the curry aside for 10-15 minutes covered, for the flavours to seep in properly into the curry. 

** "Karathe'-Magge-Bikkanda ghalnu Koddel (Bitter Gourd-South Indian Cucumber-Jackfruit seeds Curry seasoned with garlic)" is done and now ready to be served. Serve the koddel hot with rice / ukada rice (Red boiled rice) or roti along with other dishes or just the same with rice too, it tastes awesome. You can serve this dish with Idly too. Enjoy this dish with your family and friends. 

** Note : Traditionally a little amount of jaggery/goda, say a small lemon sized ball, is added to dishes of karathe’/bitter gourd as by nature the veggie is bitter and is acidic by nature. It is believed that addition of jaggery not only cuts down the bitterness but also lower the acidic content of the same. I at times do add and sometimes do not. This time I have not added any, you may do so if you like. 

** Note : In many home or should I say almost all homes once the bitter gourd is sliced/chopped and done a little bit of salt is smeared on it and kept aside for 10-15 minutes and then the water is squeezed out to remove excess bitterness. In my home I do not follow that method, neither did my mother do it. My father being diabetic used to have the bitter gourds as it is and we children I guess just followed suit. 

** You may follow the salt applying method if desired. However, trust me following that method removes the medicinal properties from the bitter gourds and it is always better to have them as offered to us by nature as I strongly believe nature is the best judge. Again, I use the light green colored bitter gourd available in plenty in Mumbai, which is not so bitter as the darker green ones, you may use any of your choice. 

** Note : For those who do not eat garlic or abstain from it for any reason can temper/ season this dish with mustard seeds and curry leaves too. The dish tastes good with the said seasoning too. Many a times on certain holy days many do not eat garlic or onions and follow this method for the same. 

** Note : Jackfruit seeds are obtained when the jackfruit gets ripened and many dishes are prepared using the same. This is usually available towards the end of April and till July or so. I always clean, dry and store them in freezer wrapped in thick polythene cover and it lasts me for a good 4-5 months and by that time the season will have arrived. I am sharing a link of freezing method too at the bottom on which you can check out the same.

** Also sharing a common link for all “Koddel” posted before, you can go through the same and try them out in different combos too ….

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.