Monday, December 23, 2019

Kottambari Pallo~Haldi Mande Gojju (Tambuli)/ Coriander Leaves~Fresh Turmeric Root Chutney.


"KhatHa-MeetHa- TeekHa Kottambari Pallo ani Tarne Haldi Mande ghalnu Gojju (Tambuli)/Coriander Leaves and Fresh Turmeric Root Chutney" ... I am completely bowled over by the taste of fresh Turmeric Root/ Amba Haldi/ Kacchi Haldi ... though I can't pin point it's taste exactly, dishes turn out wonderful with its inclusion ... and that's exactly what is ruling in my kitchen now as I have loads of turmeric root in fridge waiting to be cooked ... Gojju mitti marnu sheetHa vottu jevcheka laika jattHa ... Yummilicious ...........

** A lip-smacking delicious gojju/tambuli/chutney using fresh turmeric roots my new found interesting root veggie. I have not prepared dishes using fresh turmeric much except a few decades back tried adding them on into finely chopped veggie pickle, though I am yet to prepare that now for blogging. I never even had the idea that addition of the same while preparing of curries would turn out the dishes much more flavorful and colorful. A few days back I had purchased these in bulk with the intention of trying out dishes with its addition as I love experimenting with new dishes and here is the third on list. I have already posted Veg. Kurma that turned out fantastic and today I prepared gojju a simple chutney type dish that can also be called tambuli which is very familiar side dish with Konkani Saraswats and the third one is a Chinese dish to which I had it on for color which I have yet to blog. The only problem I faced with this lovely tuber variety is that it gives away a lot of color and stains almost everything it comes across, so you have got to be careful on only that account.  

** This is once again my own recipe and I personally have not come across it elsewhere. I prepared it exactly the same way that I prepare kothambari palle gojju (coriander leaves sweet and spicy tambuli/chutney) a famous amchi dish prepared in every home but with the addition of tarne haldi mande ie turmeric roots. Again, I have fried the ingredients which is not a step I follow while preparing kottambari palle gojju, but since I was adding on turmeric I did not want it to remain kacchi ie raw so I fried it in little bit of oil. Since I was already frying, I just thought I might as well fry them all and that turned out delicious. Off course for some tambuli dishes we do fry ingredients before addition, so in all a very delicious gojju/tambuli that is closer to chutney consistency that tastes delicious served as side dish with rice or you can serve it with dosa or roti/parathas too. Do try out this dish as fresh turmeric roots are available in plenty during monsoon season and they have loads of healthy nutrients the main being anti inflammatory and is considered good for body pains. 


** Here is my very own simple recipe for "KhatHa-MeetHa- TeekHa Kottambari Pallo ani Tarne Haldi Mande ghalnu Gojju (Tambuli)/Coriander Leaves and Fresh Turmeric Root Chutney" ... My Own Method, My Own Style … Yummilicious …. 

** Ingredients :
Fresh Turmeric Roots/ Tarne Haldi Mande/Kacchi Haldi : 100 gms.
Coriander Leaves/Kottambari Pallo/Dhania : 2-3 cups
Green Chillies/Tarni Mirsanga/Hirvi Mirchi : 5-6
Kashmiri Red Chillies/Kumte Mirsanaga : 2-3
Coconut/Soyi/Nariyal : ½ cup
Jaggery/Goda/Gud : 75-100 gms
Tamarind/Chinchama/Imly : One small lemon sized ball.
Salt to taste/Namak Swad anursar
Oil : 2 tsp (any edible oil)

** For Tempering/ Seasoning : 
Coconut Oil : 1 tblsp (best to use coconut oil, but you can use any other edible oil too)
Urad Dal/Black Gram Dal :  ½ tsp
Mustard Seeds/Rai/Sasam : 1 tsp
Curry Leaves/Kadipatta/Karbevu : 10-12

** Wash, scrape off the outer skin a little bit and then grate about fresh Turmeric Roots/ Tarne Haldi mande/ Kacchi Haldi and keep it ready aside. 

** Pick, clean and wash the Coriander Leaves/Kottambari Pallo/ Dhania and chop them finely. Keep this also ready aside. 

** In thick bottomed kadai/pan heat oil, when hot lower the heat and add in about Green Chillies slit or cut into pieces. Let it fry for a few minutes, then add Kashrmir Red Chillies or kumte mirsang and fry for a a few seconds. 

** Now add in the grated fresh Turmeric Root/Tarne Haldi mande kept ready aside and fry for 4-5 minutes till done well or till the rawness off the same is done with. Add freshly grated Coconut and further fry for some time say about 3-4 minutes. 

** Finally add in the Coriander leaves and fry all together for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from fire and add in grated Jaggery/Goda/Gud and mix well till it gets sort of softened and mixed with the ingredients due to heat, this makes grinding process easier. 

** Let the fried ingredients cool a little bit, then put it in a mixer grinder along with tamarind, salt to taste, 1 cup of water and grind all to a very smooth paste. Add more water only if necessary, the gojju should be thick for great taste. Remove into a vessel and keep it ready aside. 

** For Tempering/ Seasoning : Heat Coconut Oil in a small pan, when hot lower the heat to minimum add in urad dal seeds and when the colour changes a little bit add in the mustard seeds, when they begin to splutter add fresh curry leaves, fry a bit and then pour it over the gojju/tambuli kept ready in bowl. 


** "KhatHa-MeetHa- TeekHa Kottambari Pallo ani Tarne Haldi Mande ghalnu Gojju (Tambuli)/ Coriander Leaves and Fresh Turmeric Root Chutney" is done and ready to be served. This is a sweet- spicy and tangy chutney that goes well as side dish when served with any dish of your choice. We serve this usually as a side dish with other dishes in Thali though it goes very well with dosa, roti etc. too. 

** Do try out this awesome lip-smacking gojju and enjoy with your family and friends. I am sure it will be loved by all, moreover, it is now the season of tender turmeric roots and they are available in plenty. During winter when there is chill in air it is appropriate to have those foods that provide good nutrients and keep our body healthier. So add this on to your daily diet. 

** Note : Do use Coconut Oil for Tempering/Seasoning this gojju/tambhuli/chutney. It turns the dish more flavorful and tastier. Do not unnecessarily worry about coconut oil, it is really very good for health having its own benefits and it recognized worldwide. We GSB Konkani Saraswats have been using it for generations though over recent decades things have changed and people have adopted to other ways. But when it comes to tempering in many home we still follow it using coconut oil, I do too in my home, for Dals, Chutney. tambuli etc. 

** The are many more “Saar/ Saaru” Recipes in my Blog, do go through the common link shared below and try out that which you would like to relish with your family and friends …

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.