“Egg Appo's/ Paniyarams” … here is some Ande ka Funda; delicious Appo's that can be served as starters with some chutney/ ketchup or by dunking them in some spicy curry the way I did … Eggs are versatile~ full of proteins~ good for health, specially for growing children … these soft spongy egg balls can be relished any way that pleases your palate … children- you- me; we all are sure to love these as a snack with tomato ketchup … try it, its awesome ... Yummilicious ….
** Egg Appos is a very easy to prepare and I used to often make some 15 yrs back very frequently. Those days I was always in a hurry and prepared a lot of egg dishes as it was easy and could be brought and stored at home unlike fish or chicken. Off course fish and chicken too can be kept in the freezer, but somehow I am reluctant to do so. I prefer to have them fresh. A day or two maximum, but beyond that I just do not like it. Well with changing times, we do have to adjust and now people do store them in deep freezers. Coming to egg appos, it was recently that my hubby reminded me of it, asking me how come I do not make it anymore, that really set my mind on flash back to oldie recipes.
** Well, when something crops up in my mind, it keeps circling until the task is completed. This time however, I wanted to try out something different and as I had a bundle of palak/ spinach ready at home, I went ahead and prepared these egg appos/ paniyarams and dunked them into the gravy and it was simply awesome. I am making a separate post of the curry as appos can be relished as it without adding it to the curry too. Simple one, nothing elaborate, but yes you do have to have the appo/ paniyaram tava for preparing this dish. Do purchase one, as there are so many dishes that can be prepared on the same, both Veg. and Non-Veg. Trust me it’s a must in your kitchen, if you love food.
** I am sure all of you by now know that Appos are small dumplings prepared in a tava which has several dents. The dents are oiled and batter is poured into each of them, covered, and cooked till done. These have a very spongy texture and taste awesome with any chutney of your choice or tomato ketchup too. Appo's taste very good with spicy curries too. I have already posted the recipe for Appo with various variations before. So go ahead, prepare these spongy yummy dumplings and enjoy them with any curry or chutney of your choice with family and friends. Just use the search option for Appos and you will get a list of the different types of appos I have prepared and posted both sweet and spiced.
** Here is my very own recipe for “Egg Appos/ Paniyarams” ....
** For Preparing Appos You will need : To prepare these appo's/ paniyarams you need the special “Appo mold pan / Paniyaram pan/ Aebleskiver pan” a pan which has round dents in them which is available both in cast iron or Teflon coated. Appos are small round savories cooked in these dents. For reference, you can check up on the picture posted when the egg appos are being cooked.
** For the Batter : Break 3– 4 eggs into a egg whisking bowl/ glassware bowl. See to it that the shell does not fall into bowl. Add in ½ cup of water or milk and beat the eggs with an electric/ hand egg beater until its well beaten.
** Add a pinch of haldi/ turmeric powder, salt (namak/ meeta) to taste, ½ to 1 tsp of kashmiri Red chilly powder (mirsange pitti/ mirchi tikkat), 1 tblsp of besan (chane peeta/ brown gram/ chick peas flour) and once again beat all together to a smooth mixture. Now add in ½ to 1 cup of fine rava/ chiroti rava to the mixture along with 1 large sized onion (piyavu/ kanda) finely chopped, 1 tblsp of finely chopped coriander leaves (dhania/ kottambari pallo) and 1 tsp of grated ginger (alle'/ adrak) and mix well. Keep the batter aside for 20 minutes and appo batter is ready.
** Heat the Appo mold pan / Paniyaram pan, add some oil (tel/ tela) in each of the dents and when hot enough, lower the heat to minimum. Now add in a few cut pieces of curry leaves (kadipatta/ karbevu) (Optional) into each of the dents and then pour a ladle full of the batter in each of the dents. The dents should be filled to say about 3/4th level retaining some gap to allow the appo's to rise when being cooked. Cover with a dome shaped lid and cook on medium heat for about 3-4 mins.
** Now uncover the lid, check if the bottom surface of the appo is crisp by gently lifting it with a skewer or blunt knife, also check if the top surface has been cooked. If not, cover and cook for another few more minutes. You can test it by just touching the top surface of the appo with fingers. If done the batter will not stick to your fingers. When done, gently flip over the appo's one by one with the help of a blunt knife running it smoothly round the edges of each dents to loosen them before flipping. Now let cook the flipped over top surface too, now uncovered until done, say for a minute or two.
** When done, gently loosen the appo's, taking care not to break them, remove with the help of a spoon and add them all into a bowl kept ready. Now repeat the process with the remaining batter until all of the prepared batter is consumed and done following the same procedure all over again. This batter unlike the urad dal appo batter cannot be stored in the fridge, so prepare only that much how much is necessary and finish them all. Well that is what my Amma advised me about eggs and I always follow them without questioning, as I know she knew the best. If you are fond of eggs and prepare them often, I am sure you will agree too.
** "Egg Appo's/ Paniyarams" are done and ready to be served. While these appo's can be served as a snack with tomato ketchup or chutney of your choice, the next best thing to serve it is dunked in any gravy masala dish especially palak curry which is what I did. Children love them either way or more so with their all time favorite ketchup. Go ahead and enjoy these Egg Appo's/ Paniyarams with your family and friends. You can serve them as starters too, I am sure it will be awesome, however, as I mentioned I dunked them in Palak Curry which I will be posting right after this post. So please do go through the curry also, and you will get an absolutely new dish to be served at function.
** Do check out the recipe for "Egg Appo's/ Paniyarams dunked in Spicy Palak Curry" in the link provided below, it tastes awesome ....
https://gayathrifoodbytes.blogspot.com/2017/11/egg-appos-paniyarams-dunked-in-spicy.html#more
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks.