Friday, November 3, 2017

Egg Appos / Paniyarams ~ Dunked in Spicy Palak Curry.


“Egg Appos / Paniyarams ~ Dunked in Spicy Palak Curry” … A delicious combination of spicy palak curry with the addition of egg appos / paniyarms … A change from the usual boiled eggs or even the omelette strips … The dunked appos tastes awesome when served with roti / naan / paratha or simple spiced rice that I served it with … Do try this out … Simply awesome …Yummy Yumz … 

** Palak Curry is a very common dish that is prepared almost in every home all round the globe. But every home has its own way of preparing this delicious curry and tastes different in each region. Everybody adapts it and cooks it according to their family taste. Almost everybody young or old love palak dishes specially with paneer or veggies. Non-Veg eaters love it more with chicken than eggs. Having said this it is cooked as a humble upkari / bhaji too. A leafy vegetable that is available almost all round the year and all round the world, it has immense health benefits and is again a versatile dish. Name it and any dish can be prepared by using these tender leaves. Only the leaves parts are used while the thick stalk is discarded. The dishes that can be prepared out of palak are unlimited. You can add them to gravies, pulav, roti, poori, soups etc. Even there are samosas prepared with addition of these along with cheese. So palak is something all of you are aware of and I really need not go into its details. 

** Egg Appos is a very easy to prepare and I used to often make some 15 yrs back very frequently. I had almost forgotten about it, and it was recently that my hubby reminded me of the same asking me how come I do not make it anymore. Well, when something crops up into my mind, then it keep taking circles, till the task is completed. I was all geared up to do the appos, when I suddenly wanted to try out something different this time. Palak came to my assistance. I had picked the leaves and kept them ready in the fridge from the bundle of palak I had purchase the earlier day. I had to finish it off when it was fresh and had decided on soup for dinner. But I went ahead and prepared the palak into curry and dunked the egg appos / paniyarams into them and the result was an awesome new dish. Yes, hubby was totally impressed by the dish and relished it with simple spiced rice to his heart’s content. I am really excited with the outcome of this dish that I ventured and did on my own. Here is the recipe, for the recipe of preparation of egg appos / paniyaram, I will give in the link at the bottom of the recipe as I have made a separate post of it, as the appos can be relished as it is without adding it to the curry.…

** Ingredients :
Palak / Spinach : 1 bundle 
Any edible Oil : ¼ cup

For Grinding along with Spinach :
Garam Masala Powder : ¼ tsp
Fennel / Saunf / Badisep Powder : ¼ tsp
Coriander / Dhania Powder : ½ tsp
Jeera / Cumin Powder : ¼ tsp
Ginger : ½ inch
Garlic : 8 cloves
Green Chillies : 6-8 less spicy one’s (or as per your taste)
Tamarind : a small pinch
Salt to taste

For Tempering :
Onion : 1 extra large or 2 medium sized.
Garlic : 8-10
Curry Leaves : 8-10


** You will Also Need : 6-8 Egg Appos / Paniyaram to add to the curry. If you are a Vegetarian you can use paneer or soya beans too. But this is my special curry with Egg Appos. 

** Pick, clean and wash the palak leaves well. Chop them roughly into medium pieces and put them in a vessel. Leaves only to be used, say about 3 cups. Pour one cup of hot water over the palak for blanching and cover with a lid and keep aside for 25-30 mins. 

** Once you are able to remove the palak, drain it and put the palak pieces in mixer grinder. Do not throw away the water. Keep it aside for grinding and also to add in if necessary to the curry. Add the remaining ingredients under grinding to the palak and grind to a fine puree, adding in the strained water. Use only that much water that is necessary to get a thick paste. Keep this ready aside.

** Heat the oil in a thick bottomed kadai, when hot lower the heat and add in the garlic cut into pieces. Fry till the color of the garlic changes a bit, when its slightly brownish add in the chopped onions and further fry till it turns brownish. 

** Now add in the curry leaves, fry for a few seconds, and then add in the ground palak puree and mix well. Add in the remaining strained water if necessary. Bring to a boil, lower the heat. Check the salt and add only if necessary. Remember we have already added it while grinding the palak puree.

** Note : I have no knowledge if this holds true, but I have seen that if salt is added while grinding, you get a lovely dark green color to the palak puree. So I follow this method. You may follow your own method too. 

** Finally add in the egg appos / paniyarams into the curry and let simmer for 4-5 mins. Remove from fire and keep it aside covered for some 30 minutes. The flavors will get well blended and the appos also will absorb the palak gravy well. The appos will get dunked properly when left aside for some time, so do follow that procedure. 


** “Egg Appos / Paniyarams Dunked in Spicy Palak Curry” is done and ready to be served. You can serve this with any rice dish or roti or your choice. It goes very well with roti / chapati / paratha / naan / Pulav etc. I served it with Simple Spiced Rice which is mildly spiced rice that goes very well with this spicy palak curry. Do prepare this new dish and relish the same with your family and friends and enjoy. I am sure this little bit different dish from the routine one’s will be loved by all. Do let me know, by send in in a feed back either by email or by leaving a comment. It motivates me to do more and share here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.