Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Onion (Piyav/Kanda) Chutney.


"Onion (Piyav/Kanda) Chutney" ... A simple delicious chutney with the addition of finely chopped raw onions that tastes excellent with any dosa/ roti/ parathas ... Yummilicious .....

** Chutney as I mentioned umpteen times before is a delicious side dish that goes a long way in tickling the taste buds when served with equally delicious Idly, dosa, polo, roti, poori, parathas etc. Be it any flavored chutney it tastes equally good with well matched accompaniment. Though coriander chutney falls first in the line of chutney that appeals the most to people there are many more equally tasty chutney that are prepared in many homes. In my home, I simply love experimenting with veggies a lot and always try to include them into my dishes in various forms. Be it dry powder form or wet ground form chutney is must in my home with dishes like dosa, Idly etc. Coconut plays an important role in making of chutney and we Konkani Saraswat’s love our ingredient very much, it would not go wrong if I say that we are uncomfortable to cook dishes without addition of coconut. Our cooking is mostly coconut based and we love the taste and bulk it provides to our chutney’s and curries. 

** Today I prepared a age old Onion Chutney which is prepared in my home for decades now. I first learnt this from my Aunt, who is no more, God rest her soul in peace, that was the first time I tasted this chutney and simply loved it. Overtime, I somehow forgot about it, till I recently when I sat browsing my old diaries. Going through my old diaries jotted down full of recipes is my favorite pastime nowadays. It gives me nostalgic memories of my journey in culinary world. I was a complete novice in practical cooking though I was well versed on theoretically. So there were many ups and downs but the never to give up attitude led me till here. I have made some small changes in the preparation of this onion chutney and now in the quest I have come up with nearly 3-4 variations of this chutney. Today I am sharing my first version which is closer to my Aunt’s recipe, the only difference being that I have added some onions while grinding too as it add more taste and bulk to the chutney. 

** Here is my simple Recipe to "Onion (Piyav/Kanda) Chutney" … My Style … Do try it out in your kitchen and enjoy with Dosa, Idly, Polo, Appo, Roti, Parathas etc. .....

** Ingredients : 
Coconut/Soyi/Nariyal : 1 Cup freshly grated. 
Green Chillies : 3-4 (Less spicy one’s or as per your spice level) 
Onion/Kanda/Piyav : 2 large sized or 3 medium sized. 
Asafoetida/Hing Powder : A large pinch 
Tamarind/Chinchama/Imly : a small pinch. 
Coconut Oil/Nariyal Tel/Narlel Tela : ½ tsp 
Salt to taste 

** Peel off the skin of the onions and chop them into fine pieces and keep them ready aside. 

** To be Ground : In a mixer grinder add in the fresh grated white part of the coconut, green chillies cut into pieces, pinch of tamarind, about 2-3 tblsp of finely chopped onion and grind to a smooth paste with very little water. 

** Remove and add the ground chutney into a wide stainless steel bowl. Add in salt to taste and the finely chopped onion and mix well. The Chutney should be of thick texture so do not add much water and thin it out. 

** For Tempering/Seasoning : Heat coconut oil in a small pan, when hot add in the hing powder and immediately remove and pour it over the chutney in the bowl and mix it well. Check the consistency and add in water if necessary only. 


** "Onion (Piyav/Kanda) Chutney" is done and ready to be served. Tastes best when served with Dosa, Idly, Polo, Panpolo, Roti, Parathas. You can serve this with any dish of your choice too though it tastes best with dosas and parathas. Do try out this chutney if you love raw onions like me and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** Note : Onion Chutney is for those people who love raw onions as in this chutney we do not cook or fry them. Raw onions are considered good for health and is a store house of nutrients. It is always advised to consume the same in limits, so chutney is a good option. 

** Note : Onion chutney is best prepared fresh and consumed within a few hours as storing it in fridge or for hours together will turn it into unpleasant flavor. There are chances of the chutney turning rancid if you store it in fridge for over 24 hours. 

** In case you have no choice, then prepare only the chutney part and store in freezer and add in the chopped onions just before serving after you have thawed it. Also do not add onion while grinding the chutney, though I do not recommend it, that’s the next best option. 

** Note : Do not add the lower grated portion coconut near to the shell, use only the topmost fresh white portion, as using only white portion will retain the chutney color and the taste too. 

** Note : Do not use too much tamarind, just a pinch will do or the chutney will not turn white in color and will also not taste good. Again do not add too much of green chillies as there is some spice level in the onions too as they are raw. 

** Note : You can use any edible oil for tempering/seasoning of hing but coconut oil tastes the best for this chutney. Always do make it a point to use coconut oil sometimes as it is healthy and is now recognized worldwide too. 

** Note : Addition of onion while grinding the chutney is an option which I follow as it gives more bulk to the chutney and also makes it more pungent in flavor. You may or may not include the same. 

** You can use the search option for "Chutney" where you will get many more varieties of chutney posted before. Do try out various types of mix and match dishes to relish with your family and friends. Also remember to me a feedback if possible. 

** You can also click on the link below for checking the same. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 23 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.