Saturday, September 7, 2019

Methi Polo/Menthe (Fenugreek Seeds) Polo/Dosa.


“Methi Polo/Menthe (Fenugreek Seeds) Polo/Dosa” served with Rajavale Nonche (Indian Star Gooseberry Pickle) and Dates (Khajoor) Syrup along with Kadak Adraki Chai (Strong Ginger Tea) ... Methi has loads of health benefits and we should include them in our daily diet in some form ... here is a simple dosa that tastes delicious with strong taste of methi ... Yummilicious ... 

** Here is a simple dosa with strong aroma of methi/menthe/fenugreek seeds that is loaded with health benefits. Though we always add in methi seeds while preparing dosas, this one contains a little bit of more inclusion of the same. Well, as I have said umpteen times Dosas play an important role for breakfast in every Konkani Saraswats home and it will not be wrong if I say, we have loads of varieties of them. I myself still have many more recipes in my pending list and in draft section that have to be added on in the Blog. Despite trying my level best to edit them, I am somehow not able to do as much as I would love to. But trust, me I love to share them here,  It is always a pleasure to receive the lovely feed backs many of you send to me and I really treasure those mails. It does get me motivated and makes me want to do that much more. Thanks to all for the appreciation and mails you send and do excuse me for the late reply at times. This is a real healthy and delicious dosa and a must for growing up children, so do try them out and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** Here is my recipe for simple “Methi Polo/Menthe (Fenugreek Seeds) Polo/Dosa” … My Style … 

** Ingredients : 
Dosa Rice / Normal Raw Rice :2 cups. 
Methi /Fenugreek Seeds : 3 tblsp 
Sabudana/Tapioca Pearls : 2 tblsp 
Salt to taste 

** Oil+Ghee in equal portion for removing the dosa. 


** Wash and soak the rice in plenty of water for 5-6 hours. 

** Wash and soak the sabudana and methi together in one cup of water separately for 5-6 hours. 

** For the Dosa Batter Preparation : Add in the soaked sabudana and methi seeds along with the water in which it is soaked in a mixer grinder and grind to a very fine paste. Add in more water only if necessary. Remove and pour it into a large sized vessel. 

** Now drain off the soaked water from rice, wash well, drain off water and add it into the mixer grinder with about ½ to 1 cup of water and grind to a very smooth paste. Remove and add this to the sabudana and methi ground paste and mix well. Add in salt to taste, cover and leave it to ferment overnight or for 8 to 10 hours. 

** To Prepare Dosa : Mix the dosa batter well once it is fermented. Heat a Dosa pan to smoking point, lower the heat to minimum, add a teaspoon of oil and spread well with brush or evenly with tissue paper with a light press. Do not press too hard, as the tava is hot, your hands may be burnt, and you may remove all the applied oil in the pan. I use this method of spreading with tissue to ensure there is no excess oil, as well as there is a thin layer / film of oil on the Tava. 

** Now, add in about a cupful (approx) of batter with a rounded spatula in the center of the tava and spread evenly into a round circle of about 10-12 inch diameter, just like how you prepare any dosa. Use light motion, do not press the spatula too much lest the dosa will tear. Remember to spread the dosa into a thinner textured one, it spreads well. 

** Sprinkle some ghee+oil on sides and top of the dosa. Let the dosa cook on medium heat till the bottom side is done. The top side will also have been already cooked, so do not flip over the dosa, as the dosa is thin in texture, and cooked one side only. With the help of the flat dosa spatula, gently loosen the dosa all round the rim of the dosa and then remove it from the tava and serve it hot immediately. 

** Repeat the process and remove the required amount of dosa's. While removing the dosa do keep in mind that this is a thin texture smooth dosa and should not be tried to remove too crisp, though the bottom does remain firm. But in all it is not a crispy texture dosa but a soft one that comes out snow white in color. 


** “Methi Polo/Menthe (Fenugreek Seeds) Polo/Dosa” is done and ready to be served. Always serve dosa’s hot from tava, as they taste best when served hot directly from tava. Serve the dosa with any chutney of your choice and enjoy with your family and friends. Children love to eat dosa with chutney and this is sure to be a hit with them. Though I served the dosa for bf with pickle and dates syrup as I was in a hurry and had no time to prepare chutney. 

** Note : You can remove the dosa with either just oil or ghee as per your desire or as you always do in your home. My Mother used to always prepare and keep ghee+oil in the ratio of 1:1 in a bowl for exclusive use of dosa only. I have no idea why she did it, but the dosa does turn out good and tasty and I have simply followed that method. You may choose any method you like. 

** The Dates (Khajoor) syrup, I posted as an accompaniment with this dosa is store bought. 

** For "Spicy Rajavale Nonche/Indian Star Gooseberry Pickle" Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

** I am sure all of you know how to prepare a good “Strong Ginger Tea/Kadak Adraki Chai”, But if not, you can always go through th link given below … 

** There are many varieties of “Dosa” posted in my Blog and I am sharing a common link for the same below, you can browse through and try out that which appeals to you and serve with any chutney or sambar of your etc. 

** There are many varieties of “Chutney” posted in my Blog and I am sharing a common link for the same below, you can browse through and try out that which appeals to you and serve with dosa, idly etc. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.